Country
    Singapore

Re: Small guppy tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ownu4free View Post
    Unfortunately one on the male died when in quarantine tank wondering if it's really me or the guppy.
    These red albino are a pain to keep. I've also killed many till I simply quit. They need hospital tanks. As in the tank must be super clean. Nothing else inside. Best just a sponge air filter. Change water very very regularly. Once anyone has some signs of fin rot...immediately take out either salt treatment or medi. But changes of survivor very low. With this regime....they are lasting me longer than before. Another issue is the food...feed often but less...so tank is very very clean. Best is bare bottom. With 1 plant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did you test the water parameter? Usually guppy is the hardy fish one le.. Something very wrong.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Did you test the water parameter? Usually guppy is the hardy fish one le.. Something very wrong.
    the one you bought from y618 how are they doing? i bought 3 yesterday, 2 males 1 female. Both the male died already, think the female bit them. Going reset my tank soon, think i am gonna start from non albino first.
    Be who you wanna be, not what others want to see. <3 Crayfish

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh ya, really have to monitor, some female are really aggressive. I actually seperate out a normal red tail female guppy keep attacking my AFR male. Not sure why too.
    So far, my 4 male and 1 female albino are doing well in my planted tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From my experience, normal and wild-caught guppies are indeed very hardy... but not so with the fancy guppies which have been kept in pristine conditions all their lives and inbred so many times with such a narrow gene pool (which is the only way to isolate certain characteristics) that their immune systems end up much weaker, and they become easily susceptible to illness and infections.

Its the same for most hybrids and fancy fishes, they are just not as hardy as their wild counterparts.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    From my experience, normal and wild-caught guppies are indeed very hardy... but not so with the fancy guppies which have been kept in pristine conditions all their lives and inbred so many times with such a narrow gene pool (which is the only way to isolate certain characteristics) that their immune systems end up much weaker, and they become easily susceptible to illness and infections.

Its the same for most hybrids and fancy fishes, they are just not as hardy as their wild counterparts.
    i tried my best to give clean water by doing water change everyday, but no help. Maybe cause the shop owner keep transferring the fish causing stress to them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

LFS treat their livstocks as commodities and do not care and feed the fish. Plus the fish are kept in high density conditions, the fish develop stress very easily. Sometimes dead fish are not even remove quickly and disease spreads

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Guppendler View Post
    LFS treat their livstocks as commodities and do not care and feed the fish. Plus the fish are kept in high density conditions, the fish develop stress very easily. Sometimes dead fish are not even remove quickly and disease spreads
    i really have no idea where the problems lies, is it my water or the guppy themselves are weak/stress. My pygmy cory are doing fine in the same tank, and only the guppy are having problem. Guess i should wait till my female guppy drop and try to raise them. If it fail then i shall quit albino D:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes that is true. I remember when I was young I kept many guppies in a rusted 4-gallon paint can. They were breeding like nobody's business until I have to regularly throw them away to avoid overcrowding my tanks. If fish can breed it means they are healthy and comfortable. Stressed and sick fish never breed.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i really have no idea where the problems lies, is it my water or the guppy themselves are weak/stress. My pygmy cory are doing fine in the same tank, and only the guppy are having problem. Guess i should wait till my female guppy drop and try to raise them. If it fail then i shall quit albino D:
    Why you don't get Guorami to build up your basic experience first? If you are new to fish hobby and you start with expensive fish, it is a waste of money, because you do not have enoughly knowledge to keep expensive fish. This hobby requires a lot of knowledge.

I say Guorami because it is not only beautiful and cheap (not expensive like discus or arrowana) I, and it is not very demanding in water conditions. They can survive long even in bad conditions eg lack of oxygen, bad water, etc. You can even train them to eat rock-hard food, just like Bettas. Actually they also came down from the Betta ancestors, but they are not so interested in fighting, but only like to chase other Guoramis away. You can gain a lot of valuable experience with Guoramis without losing a lot of money.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 22nd May 2015 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i tried my best to give clean water by doing water change everyday, but no help. Maybe cause the shop owner keep transferring the fish causing stress to them.
    Cannot blame the shop owners. First you must get a lot of knowledge by reading before you buy fish. If you can't wait. it is best to buy a packet of mixed feeder fish to gain experience first. Also if you are able to cycle a tank (can be a few months), then you will not have much problems.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Cannot blame the shop owners. First you must get a lot of knowledge by reading before you buy fish. If you can't wait. it is best to buy a packet of mixed feeder fish to gain experience first. Also if you are able to cycle a tank (can be a few months), then you will not have much problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry I don't quite agree with getting feeder guppies, some mentioned that they die more easily...
    Gourami is nice and cheap I agree, but I have no luck with them, after a while they deform and die on me.
    maybe can try other strains of guppies and not albinos... albinos tend to be more fragile.
    since you still have the females left, I will advice not mixing other guppies but wait for 1 month or so to see if the females give birth or not.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    Sorry I don't quite agree with getting feeder guppies, some mentioned that they die more easily...
    Gourami is nice and cheap I agree, but I have no luck with them, after a while they deform and die on me.
    maybe can try other strains of guppies and not albinos... albinos tend to be more fragile............
    To me, all fish die easily. That is why I don't advice beginners to start with expensive fish. Usually beginners, especially those who can afford expensive fish, will start with expensive fish. That is normal and nothing wrong with that. But pity the poor fishes. Expensive fish need expert care.

I have kept simple fish like Platys, Guppies, Guoramis, Luohans, Goldfish, Tetras, Cory Sterbais, Neon Tetras, Puffers, Oscars, etc. All have different characters and idiosycracies. I now only look for easy to keep fish which is simple to maintain with a routine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

agreed with that ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    agreed with that ...
    Not so long ago I had some Cory Sterbais. They are very cute little fish, especially when they all park at the tank bottom.

But what I don't like about C. Sterbais is that though they have big and attractive eyes, they can't even see anything which is right in front of them. So if you keep them in a mixed tank, they will lose out during feeding time. They are only good at blindly charging at Tubifex worms they can smell at the bottom of the tank, or digging for worms at night in darkness.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To me, all fish die easily. That is why I don't advice beginners to start with expensive fish. Usually beginners, especially those who can afford expensive fish, will start with expensive fish. That is normal and nothing wrong with that. But pity the poor fishes. Expensive fish need expert care.

I have kept simple fish like Platys, Guppies, Guoramis, Luohans, Goldfish, Tetras, Cory Sterbais, Neon Tetras, Puffers, Oscars, etc. All have different characters and idiosycracies. I now only look for easy to keep fish which is simple to maintain with a routine.
    thx for the advice, i'm starting with low grade pairs and not those high end one. As for feeders, they are prone to diseases such as ich as they are cramp in such a small tank,hence need more care.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thx for the advice, i'm starting with low grade pairs and not those high end one. As for feeders, they are prone to diseases such as ich as they are cramp in such a small tank,hence need more care.
    Nowadays, feeder fish are of high quality. You can choose the best bags containing the best fish you see. Sometimes you can get very good specimens because the farmers have no time to sort out every bag.

You are right, low-grade high-end fish is also another great way to gain experience.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i have total 5 male AFR and one female. One just dead yesterday, it had been suffering for 2 days, nothing i can do. The most i separate it out into my breeder box. Sigh
    Guess it is sick, the rest still doing fine. The female also give birth, is AFR, but strangely the fry has no red eyes? Both the parents with red eyes and albino breed?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nowadays, feeder fish are of high quality. You can choose the best bags containing the best fish you see. Sometimes you can get very good specimens because the farmers have no time to sort out every bag.

You are right, low-grade high-end fish is also another great way to gain experience.
    where do your usually patronize to get your fish?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast