Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Which is the real Boraras Brigittae?

Feedback Score

Which is the real Boraras Brigittae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I always thought that Boraras Brigittae is also known as Mosquitoes Rasboras or Brigittae Tetra. At least if you do a search in Google image, it shows the same pictures. Today, at Seaview, I saw a bag of 100 Mosquitoes Rasboras going at $12 and another bag of 100 Brigittae Tetra going at $33. I'm now confused; which bag is the real deal?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which is the real Boraras Brigittae?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Many of the boraras shown on google images tend to be wrongly labelled, so you can't rely on it totally for reference.

These articles differentiate the various boraras with more accuracy:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2713

http://msjinkzd.com/news/which-borar...ctorial-guide/

Do note that Boraras merah are usually mistakenly labelled as Boraras brigittae, or both are mixed together in the same bags... so you may notice some fishes are red while some are pale or just pinkish.

Personally, i find that its much better to handpick the individual confirmed Boraras brigittae fishes from retail tanks (only choose the ones with the deepest most intense red color, kinda like choosing the best fire red shrimps ), they'll cost abit more but it ensures that you get to stock a group of the best colored fishes... otherwise you'll just end up with a mix of colors.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

I have noticed that a lot of fish in LFS are not in its best color. Most are off color or pale. For example, those Galaxy I saw in C328 or EOA will not likely to attract buyers unless you can identify them even in its pale form.

The $12 bag is probably what we called Di Kum Fish. Same with the $12 for 100 Malayan Shrimps. I seriously wonder if buyers actually count them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah i agree, many of these fishes look very pale and stressed in the LFS tanks and bags, so there is abit of luck involved when choosing such fishes... the "color enhancement" pink lights used on some LFS tanks don't help either, they just fake a pale fish to look red.

Best to get these fishes at LFS that keep them in planted tank environments with dim lightning and shaded by floating plants, boraras are most comfortable in such tanks and display their best colors for easier selection.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA, where did you get your Briggittae from? I saw from your blog and they are really chili red! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boiwonder View Post
    Hi UA, where did you get your Briggittae from? I saw from your blog and they are really chili red! Thanks in advance!
    I got them from various LFS over the span of a many months, every time i see a tank or new shipment of those fishes at any LFS, i'll pick the best few of the lot. Quite common for me to just purchase only 2-3 fishes at a time.

I've got my fair share of occasional wrong picks though, even with close inspection, a few that i thought look like brigittae turned out to be merah (some LFS use pink lights to artificially "enhance" the fish colors), so i simply transfer those to other tanks to help as ostracod/nematode control crew.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA for the reply! Where do you usually get your Briggittae from? From what I know GC has the ones which are chili red. Kinda hard to find the ones in Chili red as most of the LFS I have been to only carry uropthalmoides species.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boiwonder View Post
    Thanks UA for the reply! Where do you usually get your Briggittae from? From what I know GC has the ones which are chili red. Kinda hard to find the ones in Chili red as most of the LFS I have been to only carry uropthalmoides species.
    So far i've bought my Boraras brigittae from places like C328, Y618, Green Chapter, Fishy Business, East Ocean, Seaview, Qian Hu, OTF, Wu Hu, Aquarist Avenue, Aquatic Chamber... like i mentioned, i usually pick and buy a few every time i visit any LFS that happen to get new shipments. I slowly stock them up over a period of time.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA. You have been a great help! Got my Briggittae at C328 yesterday.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I have got some "mosquito rasboras" from SeaView. Those are Boraras uropthalmoides and not Boraras Brigittae The colour is more orange rather than red. However, they are also very cute little fish. Hope their colour can improve after few weeks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    I have got some "mosquito rasboras" from SeaView. Those are Boraras uropthalmoides and not Boraras Brigittae The colour is more orange rather than red. However, they are also very cute little fish. Hope their colour can improve after few weeks.
    yes i love them too, pretty unique though most preferred the brigittae or merah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I have managed to capture this little cutie Boraras uropthalmoides in the end. They are fast and active swimmer. So it is quite tough to capture a good photo of them.
    I think the male colour is more intense than the female one.

Attached Images Attached Images