Country
    Singapore

Aponogeton madagascariensis plants melt after 1 week

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I just bought this plant "Aponogeton madagascariensis", http://www.tropica.com/plant_print.asp, first few day the leave turn gree and and look healthy but after a week I see the leave start got hole and the leave start melt. My others plant all grow well and healthy....

I suspect something is eating it during night time while I'm sleeping.... day time I keep looking at it and didn't see any shrimp, fish or snail eating it....

Does this plant need high light???

Brothers out there who have planted this plant pls share some info with me can.... million thks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,
    I love this plant but I heard that its really sensitive, needs sunlight, co2 and cool soft water....
    hope you can manage your water perimeters.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aponogeton madagascariensis plants melt after 1 week

[quote:d8c719c26c="hii"]Hi

I just bought this plant "Aponogeton madagascariensis", http://www.tropica.com/plant_print.asp, first few day the leave turn gree and and look healthy but after a week I see the leave start got hole and the leave start melt. My others plant all grow well and healthy....

I suspect something is eating it during night time while I'm sleeping.... day time I keep looking at it and didn't see any shrimp, fish or snail eating it....

Does this plant need high light???

Brothers out there who have planted this plant pls share some info with me can.... million thks![/quote:d8c719c26c]

this plant is also known as the Madagascar lace plant. the leaves are meant to be full of "holes" ... lace like.
    very difficult plant to keep as it requires temp in the high 10s or low 20s.

very good info here
    http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Plan...enestralis.htm
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    My Madagascarensis experience is very encouraging. Trim off old browning leaves (browning patches that turns to holes). They do not have to be under very bright light. Mine is planted in a slightly shady area. Mine actually flowers and grew quite well. Of course if you do not want the seeds, cut off the flower stalk early. Make sure water flows well as they hate stagnant water.

My water temperature ranges between 25-26.8C. PH is around 6.5 while KH is 2. Substrate is Aqua Soil Africana/PowerSand Special. Hope this helps and encourage you to nurture this plant to it's beauty.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Cooler temps will allow you to grow the plant over the long term.

It'll grow in warmer temps just fine and then flower and stop growing after that.

In cooler temps, it will grow continously.
    20C is good and 25 or less is better.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the info

Hi Bros

Many thanks to all the info, will consider getting a chiller if budget allow (one more freelance I sure buy chiller hehe...)

My tank have 2 fans on together with the light for 11 hrs and i think after electric cut off the temperature in tank going up due to hot season now .......have a crazy idea of plant in the freeze just to save the plants life....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my experience, the plant did well for a while in my air-con office tank. But it developed algae on the leaves under 3.5W/g lights. So I think too much lighting is no good. Confirmed with Diana Walstad's book that stated that the plant needs medium lighting only.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thks!

Many thanks, i actually planted it under some plants and most of the time no direct face to the light, so i thought it need more light but after all the advice i think the only reason is the temp is the tank no cool enough....didn't measure since day 1 ... :P