Images
    Country
    Japan

What would you do??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Okay..so i have some ludwigia sp. red growing at the back end of my tank...the problem is....i never expected them to grow this fast!!
    I've planted them fairly close together and it looks good as it is now..if i trim the top then it will probably branch and become more bushy..and if i dont trim the top that would mean i would have to pluck out the plant every month and trim away the bottom and then replant which is a major pain in the rear end since have quite a few stalks...

What would you do?? i need some opinions...lol...
    does anyone know if the trimmed portion will just re-grow an apical portion again or just remain looking cut like it is?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What would you do??

[quote:81cde98011="ranmasatome"]Okay..so i have some ludwigia sp. red growing at the back end of my tank...the problem is....i never expected them to grow this fast!!
    I've planted them fairly close together and it looks good as it is now..if i trim the top then it will probably branch and become more bushy..and if i dont trim the top that would mean i would have to pluck out the plant every month and trim away the bottom and then replant which is a major pain in the rear end since have quite a few stalks...

What would you do?? i need some opinions...lol...
    does anyone know if the trimmed portion will just re-grow an apical portion again or just remain looking cut like it is?

Thanks.[/quote:81cde98011]

I de-root them, trim to the height I desire and plant them back. My ludwigia usually overgrows within a couple of weeks.. maybe the tank is too short . really depends on the look you want to achieve. Bushy or plain and simple

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Thanks Simon... this is going to be tedious man...week after week...ergh...lol..

I think i may just trim them for now....but even so..after they become bushy...i still will have to de-root at some time or another ....just prolonging it....de-rooting and planting again week in and out is prob. too much for me..lol..good thing glosso not like that..lol.

Do you know if the trimmed portion will grow an apical section again? if not then it would be advisable to trim lower than plants/driftwood in front no? so as to cover the trimmed portion?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Use less light then...less work..things grow slower.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    lol..i probably will...right now the 50 gal is running on 210 watts...thinking of toning it down to 182watts.....things just grow like mad...then i have to trim like mad....lol...wat a vicious cycle..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey ran,

Is your Ludwigia sp "Red" , Ludwigia pantanal?

Personally, while i agree that this ludwigia grows fast vertically, it doesn't branch out well. I trimmed and replanted the tops, after a 2 week wait, i only saw one miserly new shoot.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:2b3515a213="gregorsamsa"]Hey ran,

Is your Ludwigia sp "Red" , Ludwigia pantanal?

Personally, while i agree that this ludwigia grows fast vertically, it doesn't branch out well. I trimmed and replanted the tops, after a 2 week wait, i only saw one miserly new shoot.[/quote:2b3515a213]

actually if you allow them to grow along the surface long enough, they will branch out very nicely.. but at the expense of the plants below them

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    yeah...i was thinking that i'll just let them pop out of the water for a bit.. i do hope the branching goes well..

Simon what you mean at the expense of the plants below them?? i grow rotala sp. green purposely there so i think should be okay...anyway under too high light the green rotala starts to grow as if it wants to creep...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:5b0d5ae295="ranmasatome"]yeah...i was thinking that i'll just let them pop out of the water for a bit.. i do hope the branching goes well..

Simon what you mean at the expense of the plants below them?? i grow rotala sp. green purposely there so i think should be okay...anyway under too high light the green rotala starts to grow as if it wants to creep...[/quote:5b0d5ae295]

plants that requires light will suffer

Feedback Score
    hi guys.
    i had the same problem as ranmasatome does. Mine was Ludwigia brevipes.Need to replant it after 2 time of trimming.They will grow wild and the leaves at the bottom will be rootten too.