Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help needed to do SS pipe for multiple tank via one chiller.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help needed to do SS pipe for multiple tank via one chiller.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey there, Any bros here knows and can explain to me how to set up the Stainless Steel method for multiple tanks using one chiller? Thanks in advance !

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help needed to do SS pipe for multiple tank via one chiller.

One of your main tank will be your storage water... from there a power head or external canister filter could draw the water to your chiller. Then your chiller output pipe go to your secondary tank which is connected to the stainless steel coil. Then from stainless steel coil go back to your main/storage tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by IrvineChen View Post
    One of your main tank will be your storage water... from there a power head or external canister filter could draw the water to your chiller. Then your chiller output pipe go to your secondary tank which is connected to the stainless steel coil. Then from stainless steel coil go back to your main/storage tank.

The main tank can have livestock in it or just a tank.for water only ? And also, some ppl say the length of the SS
    Pipe can affect the temperature as well. Any good advise or recommendation?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The main tank can have livestock in it.. it will be fine...
    As for the length of the SS, more surface area give you better result, if undersize, you would experience your storage tank is 24 degree and your secondary tank still at 26 degree. (Example)
    With more surface area, you would be able to promote the heat transfer efficiency. It is alway good to maintain your main tank and your secondary tank temperate at the same. I would recommend 3 bend for 1 feet, 5 to 7 bend for 2 feet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As for the length of the SS, more surface area give you better result, if undersize, you would experience your storage tank is 24 degree and your secondary tank still at 26 degree. (Example)
    With more surface area, you would be able to promote the heat transfer efficiency. It is alway good to maintain your main tank and your secondary tank temperate at the same. I would recommend 3 bend for 1 feet, 5 to 7 bend for 2 feet
    Thanks bro, will note that down. Sorry if I'm asking too much question as I'm New and wanting to do a setup of multiple tanks without getting extra chillers and wanting to get it done as good as possible to minimize future problems.
    Like say, the SS piping Is all customized made and the diameter they asked for , what is that ? And does the size of the diameter of the SS piping have much difference on the temperature?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not to worry... I only good at this, else I got no opportunity to share my knowledge in the forum.. haha....
    Various SS diameter is available.. so depend on your chiller hose size.. most of them are 12mm and some is 16mm..
    Pre-made coil are available in most LFS. If you need more information, can contact me @ 82870098. Cheers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am curious too. Can HS28 cool down for 2 X 2FT tank? Any sample picture setup? I suppose need high flow water pump?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

H28A is 1/10hp, it is suitable to power 2 x 2 feet...
    As for the high rate, I would prefer lower flow rate, so it can increase the time in the system... so you can prolong the heat dissipate more heat..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Usually for such setup, ie two 2ft tanks, is eheim 2217 a overkill? Using together with hs28a.
    Or is eheim 2215 more than enough?
    Also, if using external probe, should it be placed in the main tank? Or the tank chilled by ss pipes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Depend on your desire setup flow rate... just need to ensure the flow is sufficient to prevent the chiller from freezing up.. else there will be no flow, and spoil your external filter. The external probe should be place in your storage/main tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

main tank is usually 2 deg lower than the tank with SS pipes, correct?
    so meaning if I set chiller temp as 25deg, the SS tank will be at 27deg before the chiller kicks in?
    so, now if I want to control my SS tank not to go beyond 25, means I need to set chiller to kick in at 23deg?
    so means my main tank will always be "sweating" at 23deg?

is my thinking correct? seems like hard to maintain a good temperature for both tanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sword28 View Post
    main tank is usually 2 deg lower than the tank with SS pipes, correct?
    so meaning if I set chiller temp as 25deg, the SS tank will be at 27deg before the chiller kicks in?
    so, now if I want to control my SS tank not to go beyond 25, means I need to set chiller to kick in at 23deg?
    so means my main tank will always be "sweating" at 23deg?

is my thinking correct? seems like hard to maintain a good temperature for both tanks.
    Yeah, the best cooling efficiency would be if the one chiller only cool one tank... when you use one chiller to cool a main tank + 2 other tanks, this increases its workload and there will be alot more losses in efficiency from all the extra surface areas, water volume and piping that need to be kept cool.

Its a trade-off you just have to factor in if you want to use one chiller to cool multiple tanks.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For the temperate difference between main tank and secondary tank. It depend on the surface area of your coil. If sufficient, you are able to match the temperate.
    I know some brother here manage to achieve constant temperate range of 23.5 to 25.0 on the main tank, and 24.0 to 25.5 on the secondary tank on set temp of 24degree.