Country
    Singapore

Splitting of CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I would like to ask if any of you had the experience of using a diffuser and a internal reactor together in the same tank with CO2 coming from a single source (CO2 tank)?

Due to the fact that diffuser need a pressure built up to produce fine bubble whereas reactor does not, how do we ensure that pressure is built up since CO2 is coming from the same source?

I'm currently using a 3L CO2 tank with a manual valve.

Regards
    Siang Chaw

Feedback Score
    as i understand it, the co2 will take the path of least resistence and you will probably end up with all the co2 flowing into the reactor and not the diffuser... BUT... why would you want to use both at the same time? i would just use the reactor...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I had some BBA my glosso in the foreground. With a tank heavily planted 2ft tank with blyxa japonicain the middle, I think the circulation of the CO2 enriched water does not circulate to the front or very minimum. Thus decide to split my CO2 and use a diffuser.

I had thought of attaching a rainbar to the output of the reactor, will this helps in the circulation since my middle ground is heavily planted with blyxa japonica

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd agree with rijac. I think you're doing it this way to ensure that C02 gets cirulated properly throughout your tank?

A long rainbar running the length of your tank attached to the end of the reactor will do that job.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Does your pH vary at different location of the tank? A 2ft tank should not really have much mixing issues since it is easy to saturate it with CO2. "Manual" regulator...throttle valve? Does your rate of CO2 vary from time to time? You do CO2 24/7? Keep the CO2 within 25-35ppm throughout the entire photoperiod daily would stop the BBA from growing.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

My Co2 was running on a 24/7 basis but I found that the bps in my bubble counter would always decrease over time. Example, I started with 3bps, after an hour or two, it would decrease to 1 or 2 bps.

I did a measurement on the CO2 using sera kH and pH test kit and it shows that the CO2 is in the range of 30 to 40 ppm, kH 4 pH6.5. I'm not sure how accurate it is since sera test kit have a 0.5 interval between each reading.

At this moment, I try to adjust my CO2 through the observation of the fish behaviour.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You basically have an equipment issue and measurement issues. My suggestion to you is to get a good and proper CO2 regulator w/needle valve and a narrow range pH test kit (I think AP ones measures at 0.2 interval?) or better a test pen.

Variations in CO2 from high to low or vice versa will induce BBA. The eyeball critter method is not suitable for you as your rate varies and you do 24/7 for the CO2 (you can kill your critters if you are not careful).

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter,

Where can I get the AP test kit? Also, what is the cost like?

Regards
    Siang Chaw

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sold at all good LFSes. Less than 10 bucks.

I suspect you've a manual regulator. Change it to a non-manual one like Peter said.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Re: Splitting of CO2

[quote:53a5fcb710="Siang Chaw"]Hi all,

I would like to ask if any of you had the experience of using a diffuser and a internal reactor together in the same tank with CO2 coming from a single source (CO2 tank)?

Due to the fact that diffuser need a pressure built up to produce fine bubble whereas reactor does not, how do we ensure that pressure is built up since CO2 is coming from the same source?

I'm currently using a 3L CO2 tank with a manual valve.

Regards
    Siang Chaw[/quote:53a5fcb710]

yes! you can.
    get a co2 splitter, which has 2 needle valves.
    you tune the individual needle valves to match your diffuser and reactor.