Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Would spirulina powder work as feed? Need to get my hands on some live boon to try feed my tiger goby, they are refusing to eat frozen brine shrimps and daphnia.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    Yeah.. Last time I used to have Sea Monkeys as pet. XD For Magna in chiller tank will be too costly for me. The electricity bill @___@. Maybe can try 1 bottle in the fridge. =X

Currently I using algae wafers to feed Daphnia and find it not bad. I leave an algae wafer in a cup of water for 10-15min. Then mash and stir it. Filter the algae wafer through a brine shrimp net. Instant green water. XD
    I just found my hay... I going to try hay infusion next. I also found some interesting source that stating hay is a stable method. Have you try this before?
    http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...e-feeding.html
    Are you keeping Moina or Daphnia?
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Moina.

Hahaha.. I am trying to cultivate pulex from frozen pulex cube but only see some cyclops. Some said they successfully cultivate from frozen daphnia cubes. Now only day 3, I will wait few more days and see how is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Would spirulina powder work as feed? Need to get my hands on some live boon to try feed my tiger goby, they are refusing to eat frozen brine shrimps and daphnia.
    Yup... It do works. UA feeding moina with spirulina powder and yeast.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah.. Last time I used to have Sea Monkeys as pet. XD For Magna in chiller tank will be too costly for me. The electricity bill @___@. Maybe can try 1 bottle in the fridge. =X

Currently I using algae wafers to feed Daphnia and find it not bad. I leave an algae wafer in a cup of water for 10-15min. Then mash and stir it. Filter the algae wafer through a brine shrimp net. Instant green water. XD
    I just found my hay... I going to try hay infusion next. I also found some interesting source that stating hay is a stable method. Have you try this before?
    http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...e-feeding.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oops duplicate post, sorry.

Any picture of your culture?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oops duplicate post, sorry.

Any picture of your culture?
    XD Sorry for the poor image cos using hp camera.
    IMG_4278.jpg

I left a pouch of potting soil in the tank too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lol, Moinas are so small and plain it's hard to see them. Really miss those giant red and fat juicy "big bad boons".

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Spirulina powder (pre-dissolved in water, only feed the solution, not the undissolved chunks) can be used to feed daphnia moina, but its more to increase their nutritional value as live feed (aka gut loading)... you have to make sure not to feed too much of the spirulina powder as it is a food that is not alive, which can decompose and quickly foul the water if not consumed in time (unlike the fungus from activated yeast or phytoplankton from live green water, both are living things that can live in the water until consumed).

I usually only put a very tiny bit of spirulina power into my yeast feed mix... something like only 10% of the mix, just enough to tint the mix slightly light green.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Spirulina powder (pre-dissolved in water, only feed the solution, not the undissolved chunks) can be used to feed dap.hnia moina, but its more to increase their nutritional value as live feed (aka gut loading)... you have to make sure not to feed too much of the spirulina powder as it is a food that is not alive, which can decompose and quickly foul the water if not consumed in time (unlike the fungus from activated yeast or phytoplankton from live green water, both are living things that can live in the water until consumed).

I usually only put a very tiny bit of spirulina power into my yeast feed mix... something like only 10% of the mix, just enough to tint the mix slightly light green.
    When I look at those Moina I already feel sian, so small that even guppies won't enjoy much eating them. But still okay for baby fish fries lah.

In those days when my old uncle kept a lot of fish in the backyard, the boons at that time were solid and juicy red, and they could be freely netted from ponds nearby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lol, Moinas are so small and plain it's hard to see them. Really miss those giant red and fat juicy "big bad boons".
    Yeah... I want daphnia too!!! Hope I can cultivate some pulex from frozen cube but I think chances are 0.00001% @__@

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah... I want daphnia too!!! Hope I can cultivate some pulex from frozen cube but I think chances are 0.00001% @__@
    Ya, very hard to do. If it's easy to culture, many people would be doing it by now because big juicy boons are in great demand by fish keepers.

But actually if the price of boon is increased high-high, then maybe it can be cultivated in airconed rooms. Actually, with science nothing is impossible. Of course the boons must be really good, if not who will buy at a premium price right? If can succeed in cultivation, good fat juicy boons is sure to be a hit.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ya, very hard to do. If it's easy to culture, many people would be doing it by now because big juicy boons are in great demand by fish keepers.

But actually if the price of boon is increased high-high, then maybe it can be cultivated in airconed rooms. Actually, with science nothing is impossible. Of course the boons must be really good, if not who will buy at a premium price right? If can succeed in cultivation, good fat juicy boons is sure to be a hit.
    Yeah... Agree. XD I just hope that someone found the source of big boon in Singapore and cultivate it. Hope it's not extinct in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To start a Magna culture, you can also order some batches of huge boon eggs from the US and hatch them, provided you have the correct ambient environment and facilities set up.
    For sure it will not be an economical undertaking, as failures along the way are bound to occur. You will need to treat it as an R&D expense, or at worst a rich man's experiment. But if you succeed, at least you will be able to monopolise the market with your secret techniques.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah... Agree. XD I just hope that someone found the source of big boon in Singapore and cultivate it. Hope it's not extinct in Singapore.
    I've read about people ordering live starter cultures of pulex and magna from overseas, but keeping and breeding them efficiently seems to be tough and not cost effective locally, which probably explains why they are not as popular in local aquaculture.

I guess to generate similar sized live food, its probably easier just to keep and mass breed common low-grade cherry shrimps instead.. cull a percentage of the shrimplets to use as the live feed for fishes. I used to do that when keeping apistos and rams.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To start a Magna culture, you can also order some batches of huge boon eggs from the US and hatch them, provided you have the correct ambient environment and facilities set up.
    For sure it will not be an economical undertaking, as failures along the way are bound to occur. You will need to treat it as an R&D expense, or at worst a rich man's experiment. But if you succeed, at least you will be able to monopolise the market with your secret techniques.
    I was thinking of trying pulex as I read that it can adapt higher temperature but the fertility rate will be lower. Then I saw this pulex eggs from Caraolina.com and almost going to order it. XD Lucky I read the review before I press confirm. There are reviews complaining there are no daphnia but others crustaceans. I can't find any site selling daphnia eggs. XD Never thought of that... I was thinking of culturing cheap, clean and nutritious food for my fishy.

I've read about people ordering live starter cultures of pulex and magna from overseas, but keeping and breeding them efficiently seems to be tough and not cost effective locally, which probably explains why they are not as popular in local aquaculture.

I guess to generate similar sized live food, its probably easier just to keep and mass breed common low-grade cherry shrimps instead.. cull a percentage of the shrimplets to use as the live feed for fishes. I used to do that when keeping apistos and rams.
    XD Yeah... cherry shrimp very fast with the right parameter. But... to me like feed my pet to the other pet. @___@
    Anybody succeeded?? @__@ I am thinking of getting live culture online but not sure if they can survive the 1 week shipping.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

XD Yeah... cherry shrimp very fast with the right parameter. But... to me like feed my pet to the other pet. @___@
    Anybody succeeded?
    If you happen to maintain larger populations of low-grade cherry shrimps which breed constantly (ie. >200+ per tank), then the reproduction rate is usually high enough to cull shrimps regularly to feed a few fishes. I have alot of them as clean up crew in my plant grow-out tanks, so there are sufficient shrimp populations to cull from.

Though if you keep higher-grade ones like fire reds or CRS... then its a real waste to feed the fishes those nicer shrimps, they have much more value as ornamental livestock.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you happen to maintain larger populations of low-grade cherry shrimps which breed constantly (ie. >200+ per tank), then the reproduction rate is usually high enough to cull shrimps regularly to feed a few fishes. I have alot of them as clean up crew in my plant grow-out tanks, so there are sufficient shrimp populations to cull from.

Though if you keep higher-grade ones like fire reds or CRS... then its a real waste to feed the fishes those nicer shrimps, they have much more value as ornamental livestock.
    Currently I'm having 100 cherry shrimps but dunno what to do with them. XD Almost all of them are low grade but I don't bear to feed the shrimplets to fish. Also I don't cull them as I just started this shrimp hobby.

XD It all started with me setting up an ecosphere then I picked up this hobby on last year dec. I was thinking maybe I should try shrimp in ecosphere. I bought a bag of 20 cherries, actually I don't want that many but the LFS sell in a bag. So I placed 5 each in my 2 ecosphere then the rest in acrylic tank. After 1 week+ there were 3 casualties and like kinda poor thing living in a jar so I planned to set up a Walstad tank for them. Everything seem fine and water parameter within the range but I still face a casualties every few days or week till my population dropped from 17 to 11. Not sure why. =( Then I was thinking of partially reset up the tank. I added some aragonite substrate and replaced some potting mix. I also bought a bag of 10 fire red shrimps but T.T all died as I was busy and forget that I left them in the pail overnight. There are some babies and 2 berried shrimp in the bag. I was lucky that the berried actually gave birth before it died. I managed to save 20+ babies. With the new set up, I still face casualties(all from the 1st batch) like every 1-3 weeks till I left with 2 first batch of shrimp. This time they reproduced and didn't drop their eggs. I get more and more shrimps like 40++ babies so I get a 10g tank with aquasoil as substrate.
    Then 1 month ago, I notice my shrimp no longer reproducing for a while. 2 weeks ago I tested the water with liquid test kit instead of the test strip which I usually use. I realized my strip not accurate at all, might be due to defect. XD I was having very low GH and KH which I was thinking there might be mineral deficiency. So I added minerals to bring my GH to 6 and KH to 3. Then last week I saw 2 berried shrimps and more with saddle.

My question is does shrimp get nutrition from water more than food?? Or is it the condition of the water? Cos my cherries seem normal and happy feeding with low GH and KH but don't reproduce. Then my Amano doesn't seem normal as I seldom see them until I added minerals. At 1st I thought I left with 3 Amano and 2 died but recently I saw 4 of them feeding together.
    I have no idea why most of my shrimp are orange instead of red. @_@ I only have a full dull red old shrimp from my 1st batch of cherries. XD The old shrimp seem to upgraded itself from low grade to higher grade.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My question is does shrimp get nutrition from water more than food?? Or is it the condition of the water? Cos my cherries seem normal and happy feeding with low GH and KH but don't reproduce. Then my Amano doesn't seem normal as I seldom see them until I added minerals. At 1st I thought I left with 3 Amano and 2 died but recently I saw 4 of them feeding together.
    They get nutrition and vitamins from both food and the water column... minerals and vitamins dissolved in the water column filter through their gills and they can adsorb the nutrients from there too.

Shrimps can survive in lower GH conditions that have less minerals and vitamins, but they automatically reduce breeding due to lack of sufficient nutrients. Their priority will switch to survival, and reproduction becomes suppressed (its like humans, we can see in history during times of scarce food and low nutrition, people may still stay alive but fertility rates will tend decrease drastically).

So the addition of minerals and vitamins definitely do help to increase shrimp breeding very significantly. I put mineral rocks (ie. BorneoWild Minerocks) in all my tanks and that takes care of the additional mineral and vitamin support for the shrimps, easier than constantly dosing supplements. Just a chunk of mineral rock in a tank can slowly release beneficial minerals and vitamins for years.

I have no idea why most of my shrimp are orange instead of red. @_@ I only have a full dull red old shrimp from my 1st batch of cherries. XD The old shrimp seem to upgraded itself from low grade to higher grade.
    Thats the reason you need to cull the shrimps regularly, its to ensure the reddest offspring continue to maintain and improve their coloration... fire red and painted red shrimps are just the best grade of cherry shrimps, they are all still the same species and their offspring will still contain shrimps with less color (though higher grade fire reds do tend to produce a higher percentage of fire red offspring), its all a matter of line breeding them and constantly culling the less desirable colors.

If you don't cull regularly and just allow lower-grade cherry shrimp offspring to grow up and continue breeding with the higher grade fire reds, the subsequent offspring colors will gradually degrade over time. Its very important to remove those male cherry shrimps that are almost transparent color, do not allow those to breed with your female fire reds. Only hand-pick and keep the male cherry shrimps that have the strongest solid red colors. You don't need alot of male cherry shrimps anyways, just a few of the best fire red males will be able to mate with all the fire red females.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I only have a full dull red old shrimp from my 1st batch of cherries. XD The old shrimp seem to upgraded itself from low grade to higher grade.
    Yeah, if a shrimp has good "fire red" genes, their color will naturally improve as they grow older too... looks like that shrimp was also the strongest survivor of the initial batch you added.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

They get nutrition and vitamins from both food and the water column... minerals and vitamins dissolved in the water column filter through their gills and they can adsorb the nutrients from there too.

Shrimps can survive in lower GH conditions that have less minerals and vitamins, but they automatically reduce breeding due to lack of sufficient nutrients. Their priority will switch to survival, and reproduction becomes suppressed (its like humans, we can see in history during times of scarce food and low nutrition, people may still stay alive but fertility rates will tend decrease drastically).

So the addition of minerals and vitamins definitely do help to increase shrimp breeding very significantly. I put mineral rocks (ie. BorneoWild Minerocks) in all my tanks and that takes care of the additional mineral and vitamin support for the shrimps, easier than constantly dosing supplements. Just a chunk of mineral rock in a tank can slowly release beneficial minerals and vitamins for years.
    Oh... XD I didn't expect there's a such a huge different. I didn't expect it will affect their reproduction drastically. Okz I will try out the mineral rock.

Thats the reason you need to cull the shrimps regularly, its to ensure the reddest offspring continue to maintain and improve their coloration... fire red and painted red shrimps are just the best grade of cherry shrimps, they are all still the same species and their offspring will still contain shrimps with less color (though higher grade fire reds do tend to produce a higher percentage of fire red offspring), its all a matter of line breeding them and constantly culling the less desirable colors.

If you don't cull regularly and just allow lower-grade cherry shrimp offspring to grow up and continue breeding with the higher grade fire reds, the subsequent offspring colors will gradually degrade over time. Its very important to remove those male cherry shrimps that are almost transparent color, do not allow those to breed with your female fire reds. Only hand-pick and keep the male cherry shrimps that have the strongest solid red colors. You don't need alot of male cherry shrimps anyways, just a few of the best fire red males will be able to mate with all the fire red females.
    I didn't know their color will fade so fast. My fire red offspring are all orange. I don't have spare tank to cull them. Maybe I just move those almost transparent one to my guppy tank. Let say if the orange one keep mating with the orange one, I will get oranger shrimp? XD Nvm la I just treat them as orange shrimp. Cos the full orange one look quite nice also.
    BTW Why OTF cherry red shrimp look like neon color? Is it due to their black lighting?

Yeah, if a shrimp has good "fire red" genes, their color will naturally improve as they grow older too... looks like that shrimp was also the strongest survivor of the initial batch you added.
    OIC.. My last 2 survivor but I think left one now. I didn't see my other old shrimp for quite some time.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast