Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Creating a cloudy bacteria solution from rotting hay is a good method to generate microscopic food sources for feeding daphnia... definitely more hygienic (and less stinky) than chicken poop which the farms use.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Creating a cloudy bacteria solution from rotting hay is a good method to generate microscopic food sources for feeding daphnia... definitely more hygienic (and less stinky) than chicken poop which the farms use.
    True.... True...

I'm looking towards using snail poop poop. I haven't get ramshorn yet. But I pick up the courage and added one bladder snail from my conserved snail culture into my mini tank. It has been 1.5 day, that tiny snail is growing and pooping a lot. Also my reintroduced moina still surviving in that mini tank. Hope can can form a good eco system...
    My 2g tank is getting messy with algae growing on the wall. Will get some ramshorn for that tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I believe pig poo is also used extensively.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, any organic matter that decomposes/rots will generate the required bacteria... just depends on cost and individual preference.

I've also tried simply blending scrap vegetables and plant trimmings in a blender, then pour the thick slurry paste into a fine cheese cloth and squeeze out the green liquid, then use the liquid to feed filter feeders, works well too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    True.... True...

I'm looking towards using snail poop poop. I haven't get ramshorn yet. But I pick up the courage and added one bladder snail from my conserved snail culture into my mini tank. It has been 1.5 day, that tiny snail is growing and pooping a lot. Also my reintroduced moina still surviving in that mini tank. Hope can can form a good eco system...
    My 2g tank is getting messy with algae growing on the wall. Will get some ramshorn for that tank.
    The trick is to establish a self-sustaining culture tank in which the inhabitants all contribute to the overall ecosystem within the tank.
    With such an ongoing culture tank, there will be no need to worry about feeding the Moina. The only feeding done is to ensure the good health of the 'main contributer'.
    For some, the main contributor can be ancistrus fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    The trick is to establish a self-sustaining culture tank in which the inhabitants all contribute to the overall ecosystem within the tank.
    With such an ongoing culture tank, there will be no need to worry about feeding the Moina. The only feeding done is to ensure the good health of the 'main contributer'.
    For some, the main contributor can be ancistrus fish.
    Yeah... poop > algae & phytoplankton > snail & moina > poop > bacteria > moina XD I thinking of adding otto & shrimp but too sensitive. Also the sunlight might torture them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah... poop > algae & phytoplankton > snail & moina > poop > bacteria > moina XD I thinking of adding otto & shrimp but too sensitive. Also the sunlight might torture them.
    You may wish to experiment with cultivating some bacteria by means of composting like what gardeners do.
    Soaked soup made from the muck from the compost bucket will definitely be rich with aerobic bacteria.
    Just a thought, as it is worth trying out if you are serious about Moina.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You may wish to experiment with cultivating some bacteria by means of composting like what gardeners do.
    Soaked soup made from the muck from the compost bucket will definitely be rich with aerobic bacteria.
    Just a thought, as it is worth trying out if you are serious about Moina.
    Is potting mix/soil same as gardeners compost? Or Do they have the same effect? XD I don't have much knowledge in gardening.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is potting mix/soil same as gardeners compost? Or Do they have the same effect? XD I don't have much knowledge in gardening.
    No. Composting is a whole new ball game, though serious gardeners have been doing it for ages.
    Basically composting involves making use of scrap vegetable leftovers and leaving them to rot and break down.
    A compost bin is a staple item in the homes of gardeners in the West.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No. Composting is a whole new ball game, though serious gardeners have been doing it for ages.
    Basically composting involves making use of scrap vegetable leftovers and leaving them to rot and break down.
    A compost bin is a staple item in the homes of gardeners in the West.
    So much work... Is there available in gardening shop or only can DIY??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So much work... Is there available in gardening shop or only can DIY??
    There are two types of composting - with worms and without worms.
    The purpose of the wormless method is to convert unused food scraps into humus in time by bacterial decomposition.
    The humus is used as plant fertilizer. Composting with worms is the more powerful method, as the worm poo in the
    compost is valuable and is known as the gardener's black gold.

Both methods are absolutely DIYable, as well as can be done using commercial equipment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There are two types of composting - with worms and without worms.
    The purpose of the wormless method is to convert unused food scraps into humus in time by bacterial decomposition.
    The humus is used as plant fertilizer. Composting with worms is the more powerful method, as the worm poo in the
    compost is valuable and is known as the gardener's black gold.

Both methods are absolutely DIYable, as well as can be done using commercial equipment.
    Oh... the wormy one sounds interesting...
    Found a DIY compost link: https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardening/...nts/composting
    @_@ I don't think I will go for DIY too much work.. XD Hope able get from gardening shop.

If my jar moina can last for 4 more weeks, maybe I will look into daphnia. So far my mini tank is aging/maturing, still see that few moina inside. Waiting for them to boom.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh... the wormy one sounds interesting...
    Found a DIY compost link: https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardening/...nts/composting
    @_@ I don't think I will go for DIY too much work.. XD Hope able get from gardening shop.

If my jar moina can last for 4 more weeks, maybe I will look into daphnia. So far my mini tank is aging/maturing, still see that few moina inside. Waiting for them to boom.
    The most important thing in daphnia culturing is an uninterrupted supply of bacterial food for them.
    Thus, a goodly and regular supply of the latter is essential to ensure a sustainable longevity of the endeavour.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The most important thing in daphnia culturing is an uninterrupted supply of bacterial food for them.
    Thus, a goodly and regular supply of the latter is essential to ensure a sustainable longevity of the endeavour.
    Many thanks for the inputs. I'm looking into it and see how can I apply them. For now I will focus on a stable culture instead of yield. So I think eco system will be the best option for regular and constant supply of food.

^_^ I found some interesting threads in this forum about Daphnia. I just finished reading the 12 pages thread: Daphnia Culture. I was very excited when I read about Daphnia being imported and cultivated but kinda shock and discouraging when I read about the cultures unable to sustain. No one actually succeeded culturing them in long term?? I will con't dig out more threads and find out more before going into Daphnia @_@

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Many thanks for the inputs. I'm looking into it and see how can I apply them. For now I will focus on a stable culture instead of yield. So I think eco system will be the best option for regular and constant supply of food.

^_^ I found some interesting threads in this forum about Daphnia. I just finished reading the 12 pages thread: Daphnia Culture. I was very excited when I read about Daphnia being imported and cultivated but kinda shock and discouraging when I read about the cultures unable to sustain. No one actually succeeded culturing them in long term?? I will con't dig out more threads and find out more before going into Daphnia @_@
    You are right. Big juicy Daphnia has been found here before and there's no reason that they couldn't exist now. I believe the missing link is the food source. In my young days. I had personally scooped up thick netfuls of red juicy Daphnia from small ponds. There's so much in the net that I just need to run my finger in it to lift up a big blob of the red Daphnia.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You are right. Big juicy Daphnia has been found here before and there's no reason that they couldn't exist now. I believe the missing link is the food source. In my young days. I had personally scooped up thick netfuls of red juicy Daphnia from small ponds. There's so much in the net that I just need to run my finger in it to lift up a big blob of the red Daphnia.
    Do you still remember the places that you found those Daphnia?? =D Thinking of going there take a look... maybe can find some clues.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do you still remember the places that you found those Daphnia?? =D Thinking of going there take a look... maybe can find some clues.
    Lol... that was so very long ago, when there were no flats around Crawford/Kallang area. In those days, there were many fields with cattle, ponds and also farm-type abodes, but no more. In fact, it's the same everywhere, all built-up concrete jungle everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lol... that was so very long ago, when there were no flats around Crawford/Kallang area. In those days, there were many fields with cattle, ponds and also farm-type abodes, but no more. In fact, it's the same everywhere, all built-up concrete jungle everywhere.
    XD That's very very long ago... I am not even born yet. If it's 15 over years ago, maybe I will still go explore the kallang park as there are still some foliage. Maybe can take some soil samples.
    XD I still remember I saw few uncles caught 100 over grouper fish under Nicoll highway. I used to catch flower crabs slighty further down. But now become freshwater reservoir liao. XD I wonder if it's possible that there are dahpnia in kallang basin.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess if daphnia pulex or daphnia magna were easy to culture in local conditions, they would be cultured at mass quantities and sold as live feed at every LFS by now... but they are nowhere to be found locally. Maybe as global warming creates greater extremes in our weather, it probably changed the ecosystem and composition of micro-fauna in local waters too (compared to decades ago).

Thats a reason why moina are the only ones which can still be easily bought locally, as they are found to have the least requirements and are the most adaptable to local conditions.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not related to Daphnia but just as a matter interest.

A long time ago, there used to be a LFS among a row of shops at the place now known as Somerset 313. The LFS was known as "Saabab Centre" or something like that.
    It was inside a very long and narrow alley between 2 buildings, with a row of fish tanks right from the front to the rear end of the alley.
    Opposite that LFS was Centrepoint where John Little used to be later on. Somewhere on the 4th floor there used to be a "Macho Ranchu" LFS which specializes in Ranchus.

But so far, none of my friends could confirm their existence.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast