Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which LFS still selling live daphnia aka boon??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, i use a mix of active yeast + spirulina for a combination of growth and to increase nutritional value in the moina (aka gut loading).

I do find that if only spirulina is fed, the moina will still grow, though at a much slower pace... but with active yeast, their growth rate is significantly faster and if well-fed, can see the population doubling on a daily basis.

I currently use the Ocean Free Spiru-Max, cost around $10+ for a bottle. Only a very tiny amount is used each time to mix and feed the moina so a bottle of it can last quite a long time (just have to keep it in a fridge to prolong the freshness). I also mix the spirulina with fish food to feed my fishes and shrimps too, so its a part of the livestock diet.
    Shifu UA, XD I didn't know there's those specialized for aquarium use, I almost go pharmacy to check out. $10 I think quite worth, =D going to try it as my next feed.

I think yeast will keep on multiplying but spirulina don't, so they will have abundant of yeast to consume compare to spirulina. But I read that yeast has the worst nutrient value. XD So your formula is the best!!

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The best setups would be using big outdoor tubs or water barrels, those that can hold 200-300 liters type (or larger), dedicated to just moina. Can keep a substantial culture going long-term without crashing, and the yield will be enough to feed multiple tanks of fishes regularly.
    XD Also can try those mineral water dispenser carboy if able to get them for FOC.

After watching my culture for a while, I realize that daphnia seem like a bottom and top feeder too. I saw them dive to the bottom and pull up multiple times, seem like feeding on the detritus or something on the floor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update: Day 4 - An increase in size

Should be sexually matured in 2 days time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@Bern C,
    Your pet Daphnia are so cute... hahaha..

Hope some day you will be having this...
    Last edited by tetrakid; 9th Jul 2015 at 09:37.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    @Bern C,
    Your pet Daphnia are so cute... hahaha..

Hope some day you will be having this...
    Thank You~ I find them cute too and they seem to be more intelligent than Moina. @_@ Hesitating to use them as a feed, as they seem to have some emotion too. Anyway, I read they can only survive for about 56 days.

Yeah... I looking at the big red boon now. I still trying to dig out more information about Russian Red. I not sure if it's an interchangeable term used in different countries for Magna and Moina sp., or there's another strain of Moina, that is Russian Red. Hahaha, kinda confused by those articles. @_@ Need somebody to enlighten.

Anyway, I read that Russian Red can survives up to 90°F. It has being breed by Jim Langhammer for 50-60 years, that it has become more hardier and prolific than normal Magna. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...oodl1363799402

XD Maybe can try Russian Red next if able to get the ephippia. Or Maybe can acclimate Magna to our environment after generations and generations.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    Thank You~ I find them cute too and they seem to be more intelligent than Moina. @_@ Hesitating to use them as a feed, as they seem to have some emotion too. Anyway, I read they can only survive for about 56 days.

Yeah... I looking at the big red boon now. I still trying to dig out more information about Russian Red. I not sure if it's an interchangeable term used in different countries for Magna and Moina sp., or there's another strain of Moina, that is Russian Red. Hahaha, kinda confused by those articles. @_@ Need somebody to enlighten.

Anyway, I read that Russian Red can survives up to 90°F. It has being breed by Jim Langhammer for 50-60 years, that it has become more hardier and prolific than normal Magna. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...oodl1363799402

XD Maybe can try Russian Red next if able to get the ephippia. Or Maybe can acclimate Magna to our environment after generations and generations.
    As long as the Russian Reds can survive in our tropical climate, you stand a good chance of succeeding.
    Other tricks of cultivation can be learned or developed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As long as the Russian Reds can survive in our tropical climate, you stand a good chance of succeeding.
    Other tricks of cultivation can be learned or developed.
    ^_^ Yeah... Hope can get some Russian Reds samples.. Maybe what you saw in he past is actually Russian Red.

Update:
    My 4 days old Daphnia seem like carrying brood of eggs.

IMG_4420.JPG IMG_4419.JPG

Current size: 2.5-3mm
    Last edited by Bern C; 10th Jul 2015 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Very good.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update: Day 5 & 6

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update: Day 7
    My 2nd generation of pulex.

All the newborn seem slightly smaller than the adult Moina. Smaller than the newborn hatched from the ephippia.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bern C View Post
    Update: Day 7
    My 2nd generation of pulex.

All the newborn seem slightly smaller than the adult Moina. Smaller than the newborn hatched from the ephippia.
    Nice beautiful Daphnias. I wouldn't mind keeping these "Sea Elephants" as pets. Better than Sea Monkeys.

Be sure I will be your first customer when you sell them..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice beautiful Daphnias. I wouldn't mind keeping these "Sea Elephants" as pets. Better than Sea Monkeys.

Be sure I will be your first customer when you sell them..
    Thank You~~~ =D Agree... these sea elephants is more cute than sea monkeys... XD I thinking of getting a jar specially dedicated to them, put some basic soft & hardscape.

XD I don't think I am able to maintenance a culture huge enough as live food to sell. Maybe just a culture starter. ^_^ I will give you and shifu UA some when I fill up my 2g tank with pulex. Ytd, I shifted some babies to my 2g tank as my less than a litre mini tank going to over crowded soon. This morning saw the babies still surviving.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@Bern C

Thank you. I hope with all your dedication and efforts, you will be able to maintain a good ongoing culture/s.
    Remember to use distilled water or aged water, as Daphnia are much more sensitive and vulnerable than shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Bern C

Thank you. I hope with all your dedication and efforts, you will be able to maintain a good ongoing culture/s.
    Remember to use distilled water or aged water, as Daphnia are much more sensitive and vulnerable than shrimps.
    =S Yeah... I hope nothing goes wrong.

I am hesitating to pour my culture in to the 2g tank as I afraid they will crash then I gotta start over again. @_@ So now I will shift bit by bit into the 2g tank so at least I still have a standby culture.

XD I have an Osim upure filter... they seem fine with the filtered water though I rmb Osim manual warned that the filter isn't suitable for aquarium.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update: Day 9

Pulex is much prolific than I expected. Population is booming and overcrowding soon. Going to transfer 1/2 of them to 2g tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am booking that big "sea elephant" at the beginning of the video. I want him as my pet.

Good progress. All the best.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am booking that big "sea elephant" at the beginning of the video. I want him as my pet.

Good progress. All the best.
    XD Okz... I will give you some biggest one. Current biggest are the 4mm. They are very good pets, I realize they are more sensitive to lights than Moina. Enjoy seeing them dance around the light. I think around a week time I able to harvest some for you. ^_^

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update: My new 2 gallon tank setup - Day 4

Still waiting for the tank to be densely filled with Daphnia.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update: Day 13

It has almost been 2 weeks and population is still booming.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Excellent!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Excellent!
    =D Thank Q. I think I need 1 more week to harvest them. =( Most are still so puny and the population not dense enough.

Update:

I have decommissioned my 8 weeks old Moina Jar culture and transferred 10-20 Moina into another Jar. The Jar kinda screwed up recently as it got invaded by seed shrimp babies or ostracod. I consider seed shrimp as pest due to most small fish don't eat them and they are kinda big and unsightly. I have no idea how those ostracod got into my culture. I suspected the hay infusion feed but it's only that Jar got invaded. =/ Maybe it's tap water or something. Also, the yield rate seem to slow down after reaching its peak.
    I going to decommission my mini tank Moina culture too and maintain a pure Moina culture. =D I'm satisfy with the conclusion of the two cultures.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast