Country
    Singapore

Tank Revisit

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,
    I had a 2 ft tank when i was younger and kept some goldfish and angel fish. Had some plants but not in the way planted tanks go now. Had some gravel and pebbles to hold down the plants which came rolled with lead strips and costs like $1 each. Naturally plants died after a few weeks and had to keep replenishing them when they do. Noe ferts, no co2, no led lights, just plain old under gravel filter (no powerheads), air pump and fluorescent light just for viewing pleasure. Can't remember when the tank was gone. Must have been thrown away when we moved house.

I got interested again now after a colleague mentioned that his hobby is planted tanks. I googled it and the first videoclip I saw was an ADA video. Was immediately hooked and here I am.

So, I am looking forward to learning as much as possible from you guys!

I live in the east (near Simei ITE). Nearest LFS is K&K at Tampines. NA and Seaview is a straight drive along TPE. I currently have a 30" x 15" x15" which I have recently cycled. I am now just trying to get a balance, which I understand can be a lifelong occupation.

Well, that's why I became a member of AQ!

best

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tank Revisit

Welcome back to the hobby.

I suggest you read about EI (estimate index) and you can forget about balance
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to AQ Tabtoo!

The best thing to do for a newbie is to take things slowly. Take your time in this hobby, this is not a race and there are no finishing line. I am a fellow Simeian too!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i'm a Revisit too Tabtoo. And i have just started with a 2ft tank. Lots to learn but you've come to the right place. The guys here know their stuff and are helpful as you can see. Been following this forum for quite a while now but became a member only recently. All the best!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Welcome back to the hobby.

I suggest you read about EI (estimate index) and you can forget about balance
    many thanks Shadow. Am excited about it, really. Yup, am reading about EI now. Much to learn and practice.
    as for balance, quite curious (really a newbie question ��) any reason why?

many thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Many thanks BFG. Good advice! Sometimes difficult to take it slow as i get anxious quite easily. But, this is good training for me - cannot rush it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Aquasaz View Post
    i'm a Revisit too Tabtoo. And i have just started with a 2ft tank. Lots to learn but you've come to the right place. The guys here know their stuff and are helpful as you can see. Been following this forum for quite a while now but became a member only recently. All the best!
    glad to make your acquaintance aquasaz. Yes i agree totally. The guys here are very helpful. The admin team is good too. I like the fact that they maintain strict forum etiquette. So discussions are meaningful and civil. Kudos to the admin and moderators.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am currently using lighting that came with my tank (hooded) and its the normal 2ft flourescent light. I am thinking of getting more appropriate lights. I am considering either T5 with High output or an led one - any advice, pls? Below is my tank situation:

tank: glass 30" x 15" x 15" - filled about 27g (abt 100 ltrs)
    filter: Jebo 825 (got from friend -not sure how old but working)
    pipes: glass lily pipes for inlet and outlet (can't remember what brand but costs <$40 together brand new)
    co2: 2ltr tank with bubble counter and inline reactor (also from friend) 2-3 bps
    aerator: 2 airstones - one left and one right side (moderate bubbles as fish go to surface for air without these)
    plant density: moderately planted - not heavy as defined by many images i see posted here
    ferts: seachem flourish, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous and iron - after reading about fertilizers
    soil: ADA amazonia aquasoil(bought brand new from Marineland) (didn't know soil can be this costly!)

i have taken off the hood
    my friend also gave me (well i paid him some money for this) an Aqua Zonic LED light for 60 -80cm tank but i noticed its for marine - is it safe to use for my planted freshwater tank?

many thanks guys for your pointers on this!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tabtoo View Post
    many thanks Shadow. Am excited about it, really. Yup, am reading about EI now. Much to learn and practice.
    as for balance, quite curious (really a newbie question ��) any reason why?

many thanks!
    On the old day, hobbyist believe that fertilizer is causing algae bloom, thus the balance between fert and light. EI change all that, based on the experiment, over fertilize does not cause increase in algae grow. The logic is algae is single cell organism, their requirement is very very small. Little bit of rotting leaf and it is enough for them to grow. Thus it is not possible to stop algae growth by limiting the nutrient. The nutirent condition that making algae unable to grow will also harmfull to the plants. Instead EI is focus on the plant growth.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/