Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Photo period of US fissiden?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone can Share their experiences? My light is 48watts LED Light. Currently I am doing 3 hrs light then 2hrs break then 3 hrs light.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Photo period of US fissiden?

Picture of your US fissiden?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Your current light timing schedule is quite conservative so it should be okay, though you didn't mention your tank size so its abit difficult to gauge the light photoperiod suitability just based on its wattage.

Anyways, just for reference... i have been running a small 14 liter shrimp holding tank with mini fissidens on wood, using a 3.5W watt LED light (Top Aqua V-LED-A30) at 8 hours photoperiod, no additional fertilizers and no Co2 injection. The fissidens maintain good growth. Here is a recent photo of it:

:: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Your current light timing schedule is quite conservative so it should be okay, though you didn't mention your tank size so its abit difficult to gauge the light photoperiod suitability just based on its wattage.

Anyways, just for reference... i have been running a small 14 liter shrimp holding tank with mini fissidens on wood, using a 3.5W watt LED light (Top Aqua V-LED-A30) at 8 hours photoperiod, no additional fertilizers and no Co2 injection. The fissidens maintain good growth. Here is a recent photo of it:

my 2ft tank measurement is 60x30x36. Currently fissiden near water surface is yellow. Dosing potassium and iron alternate day and tropic premium mon-fri. Trying to correct the yellowing

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tropica i dose 1 pump per day for mon to fri. Cause my tank in around 50 liters. Dunno if it's correct

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, so far i've kept fissidens for a few years and it seems they don't really need much nutrients to grow, the most consistent growth i've seen tend to be in low-tech tanks with no fertilizer dosing. I've even kept them in containers with just de-chlorinated water for months on a shelf and they still grow. So i guess nutrients are not such a large factor in terms of sustaining their growth.

On the otherhand, i'm not sure if more fertilized nutrient-rich water conditions and too much light somehow affect fissidens in an adverse way though... i remember reading some info posted by jamesneo (the seller of excellent mini fissidens) about the tank conditions he grows his fissidens in, it seems too much fertilizer/nutrients affects them negatively (his grow-out tank is also relatively modest in terms of lighting), check out his thread on it (look at point "g" in the thread FAQ):

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/116363-**-NEW-DEC-2014-batch**-Mature-Mini-Fissiden-DWs-Mesh-Lava-Rock

Maybe you could try reducing the fertilizer dosing and perhaps also reducing the light intensity, see if it helps improve the fissidens color.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Changed my photo period already. Was at 6hrs straight but changed to split into 2 period so that the plants can rest on advise one of LSF people. erm...by reducing the light intensity, u meant getting a dimmer lights(buy low watt lights) or just reducing the photo period from 6 hrs to say 5 hrs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just love all of your guys advise. It's all too good =D

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin247 View Post
    Changed my photo period already. Was at 6hrs straight but changed to split into 2 period so that the plants can rest on advise one of LSF people. erm...by reducing the light intensity, u meant getting a dimmer lights(buy low watt lights) or just reducing the photo period from 6 hrs to say 5 hrs.
    Can be both, reducing or combining the light timings and reducing the light intensity, just have to try and see if it makes a difference. Can switch them around and experiment.

To reduce light intensity, you could simply raise the lights higher and that will put extra distance between the plants and the lights... some plants like fissidens could be abit more sensitive to higher intensity lights concentrated directly on them (since the ones in your tank are positioned higher up in the tank and much closer to the lights).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can be both, reducing or combining the light timings and reducing the light intensity, just have to try and see if it makes a difference. Can switch them around and experiment.

To reduce light intensity, you could simply raise the lights higher and that will put extra distance between the plants and the lights... some plants like fissidens could be abit more sensitive to higher intensity lights concentrated directly on them (since the ones in your tank are positioned higher up in the tank and much closer to the lights).
    any my add on to raise tank light higher? If have recommend to me

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

any my add on to raise tank light higher? If have recommend to me
    You can get those metal hanging light stands to suspend the lights, so that their height can be adjusted, something like this:

http://www.eastoceansg.com/light-han...15_40_300.html

Or make DIY stands from materials like pvc pipes, aluminum profiles or custom acrylic brackets etc. Just do some online searches for ideas.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Saw some ideas from net. Covering light with tracing paper or thin cloth. Floating plants helps? I have tons of frog bits. Under algea attack now saw my shrimp munching on my fissiden but later found is algea...zzz getting blinds to cover my tank as morning sun indirectly shine into my tank sometimes. To put on either my window or my tank coz got suction cap

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can get those metal hanging light stands to suspend the lights, so that their height can be adjusted, something like this:

http://www.eastoceansg.com/light-han...15_40_300.html

Or make DIY stands from materials like pvc pipes, aluminum profiles or custom acrylic brackets etc. Just do some online searches for ideas.
    good buy from east ocean, will go down to take a look but won't rush into buying. Will try blocking out the sun Ray at home first and the tracing paper. Lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Saw some ideas from net. Covering light with tracing paper or thin cloth. Floating plants helps? I have tons of frog bits. Under algea attack now saw my shrimp munching on my fissiden but later found is algea...zzz getting blinds to cover my tank as morning sun indirectly shine into my tank sometimes. To put on either my window or my tank coz got suction cap
    Yeah, algae appearing amongst fissidens usually means too much excess light there... just have to find ways to control it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

UA, nice fissden ! So no chiller can actually grow until so well??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    UA, nice fissden ! So no chiller can actually grow until so well??
    Yeah, no chiller... the tank is in my storeroom so not much ventilation either. Water temperature averages 29-30°C though, still okay for the fissiden growth.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I saw the picture also no substrate? Where to buy reasonable price for fissden? Plan to learn DIY tie on diftwood, any tips? Haha.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    I saw the picture also no substrate? Where to buy reasonable price for fissden? Plan to learn DIY tie on diftwood, any tips? Haha.
    Yup, no substrate, its just a tank to hold and grow-out plants and shrimps... much easier to clean a bare bottom tank, since the fissidens don't need substrate anyways.

Get the mini fissidens from jamesneo, his stock are top quality plants. I get my fissidens from him too.

For the tying of moss, i just spread a thin layer of moss on an object, then use fishing line to wrap many times around the object to secure the moss down, after a while the moss will naturally root in and then you can remove the fishing line.

The other alternative is to do a dry start method (DSM) by just laying the moss loosely on objects in a covered container, keep a shallow amount of water to maintain humidity and hydrate the plants, once the moss attach then can flood the container and allow them to continue growing.

Here is a link to my outdoor DSM grow-out project for fissidens: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ject-Fissidens
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow.. Yup i saw his sales thread, indeed solid. Thanks UA for sharing ! Your DSM with the covered container also power!