Country
    Singapore

7020 LED Rigid Strip Light for planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    Just sharing the lighting for my new set up (4ft by 13ft by 14ft high) with mainly short hairgrass and some rock scape.
    The lighting consists of two strips of 7020 LED Rigid Strip which come in slim aluminum profile, that I just need to rest both ends on top of the tank and they seat about 1 inch above the water line.
    I remove the frosted pvc cover to allow more lights to reach the bottom.

Each 4 ft strip cost $20 without 12V power supply. Unfortunately, the shop owner at Sim Lim Square was not able to provide more details except that they are white 7020 chip and each metre of strip draws 24 Watt of power.

I'm now seeing tiny bubbles from the plants so the lighting level should be enough (?) but the normal glass tank now look slightly bluish under the light even it suppose to be "white".

The concern is how whether the strip will be corroded due to proximity to the water surface, if so I may put back the frosted cover or get some clear acylic sheet, and aso the color temperature will suit the plant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 7020 LED Rigid Strip Light for planted tank

nice! Try add another strips
    cheers,
    Chong (a.k.a. exoquatics - merchant)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice the strip will not corrode have been using about the same setup for 6months now. Just have to be careful during maintenance to keep it dry. Also do not move it abt too much as the soldering might be broken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chong99 View Post
    nice! Try add another strips
    Thanks Chong99 , must say I was inspired by your DIY led postings before embarking on this lighting set up.

As the power supply I have is only for 5A , two strip of 1.2m each would be pushing the limit at around 57.6W(/12v=4.8A).

Will monitor the plant grow for the moment. (can't wait for the hair grass to form a thick carpet though, only if constantly looking at them helps!)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Clamence View Post
    Nice the strip will not corrode have been using about the same setup for 6months now. Just have to be careful during maintenance to keep it dry. Also do not move it abt too much as the soldering might be broken
    Thanks Clamence, now there is one less worry...

I will apply some aquarium sealant on the soldered joint to strengthen it.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lohsh View Post
    Thanks Chong99 , must say I was inspired by your DIY led postings before embarking on this lighting set up.

As the power supply I have is only for 5A , two strip of 1.2m each would be pushing the limit at around 57.6W(/12v=4.8A).

Will monitor the plant grow for the moment. (can't wait for the hair grass to form a thick carpet though, only if constantly looking at them helps!)
    Haha..update us more with some before and after pictures... will camp here for more updates.... hope it really works well so i can upgrade my old t5ho setups....

Keep Staring at plants... they will grow faster...lol... we call it eye power.... ( joking)

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

When lights are labelled as "white" it can span a very wide range of color temperatures and spectrums. It'll be a good idea to try and find out the actual color temperature and spectrum of those lights (since they were not specifically designed for planted tanks), at least you may be able to get a better understanding of how your plants will respond in terms of their growth pattern.

Planted tank owners usually prefer to have a light which has a balanced proportion of red and blue spectrums (different spectrums promote different types of plant growth). Most of the time aquarium companies try to create their lights with combinations of such favorable spectrums that plants can utilize efficiently, yet still look pleasing to the user's eyes.

Its still okay to use lights that are heavier on the blue spectrum though... just that for planted tanks, it may alter the visual color tone of the plants and fishes, so everything looks more bluish, similar a marine tank.

For reference, here is some useful info on lighting spectrums and their relationships to plant photosynthesis: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...osythesis.html
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    Haha..update us more with some before and after pictures... will camp here for more updates.... hope it really works well so i can upgrade my old t5ho setups....

Keep Staring at plants... they will grow faster...lol... we call it eye power.... ( joking)
    Will update on effectiveness of the led strip on the plant growth, I myself have been waiting for led technology to advance and drop in cost for a few year liao, just can't bear with the heat and bulkiness of FL and even PLL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    When lights are labelled as "white" it can span a very wide range of color temperatures and spectrums. It'll be a good idea to try and find out the actual color temperature and spectrum of those lights (since they were not specifically designed for planted tanks), at least you may be able to get a better understanding of how your plants will respond in terms of their growth pattern.

Planted tank owners usually prefer to have a light which has a balanced proportion of red and blue spectrums (different spectrums promote different types of plant growth). Most of the time aquarium companies try to create their lights with combinations of such favorable spectrums that plants can utilize efficiently, yet still look pleasing to the user's eyes.

Its still okay to use lights that are heavier on the blue spectrum though... just that for planted tanks, it may alter the visual color tone of the plants and fishes, so everything looks more bluish, similar a marine tank.

For reference, here is some useful info on lighting spectrums and their relationships to plant photosynthesis: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...osythesis.html
    Thanks UA! The reference was really very technical .

After reading your reference, was contemplating on adding red LED (like Chong99's set ) until discovering the ADA write up on their LED. It seems there are different views on optimum lights for aquarium plants until now?

But from your reference, I found useful that algae needs longer stretch of continuous light than plants, so I will be doing a 4 hour full light (as I read reference in Robertus's website that plant needs at least 4 hours of continuous light to be effective) and 1 hour break , follow by another 4 hour light. The 1 hour break will have the surrounding ceiling light in the office so it will not be in total darkness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

After reading your reference, was contemplating on adding red LED (like Chong99's set ) until discovering the ADA write up on their LED. It seems there are different views on optimum lights for aquarium plants until now?
    The ADA writeup is similar to what other brands also practice too... nowadays they all design their planted tank lights around a spectrum chart with more blue (for better water depth penetration), some red/orange and a tiny bit of green (to balance out the overall color tone so that the tank doesn't look too blue).

I guess while just having only blue spectrum is okay for growing plants, most people also want to view their plants and fishes in a more "realistic" color environment, hence a mix of different spectrums is used to create a balanced color rendition.

In many of the higher-end LED lights for planted tanks (ie. MaxSpect Razor), they arrange a ratio of different color LED clusters to create that balance.

Maybe you can try mixing in abit of other LEDs in your setup, see if it balances out the color (so that the tank looks less blue and more natural white). With DIY LED solutions, you have the flexibility of experimentation and customization.

But from your reference, I found useful that algae needs longer stretch of continuous light than plants, so I will be doing a 4 hour full light (as I read reference in Robertus's website that plant needs at least 4 hours of continuous light to be effective) and 1 hour break , follow by another 4 hour light. The 1 hour break will have the surrounding ceiling light in the office so it will not be in total darkness.
    Yeah, the "siesta regimen" is a common method to give plants abit more advantage over algae, it may not generate a significant difference but it could help in some setups.

Just have to note that if you are injecting a higher amount of Co2 into the tank, it would be a good idea to also schedule the Co2 injection to be off during the break period too, so that the Co2 levels don't accumulate to excessive levels when the plants are not photosynthesizing (its mainly for the safety of the tank's livestock).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    Thanks. you are on right track
    For selecting power supply, always keep some margin of 30%~40% from the rating indicated in the spec. This is to prolong the life of the adapter. I always using 60~70% of the rating...
    Another way is check the temperature of the adapter with your hand it should be warm hot but not burning hot...
    If your light really operate at 4.8A, the adapter won't last long...
    The actual power consumption of your light may not be at max rating because in DC power system, there is always voltage drop along the wires and how you led strips are connected (series or parallel).
    cheers.
    cheers,
    Chong (a.k.a. exoquatics - merchant)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi can I check which floor of sim lim sq did you buy it from? I'm looking for them too (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've got them from Suang Huat Heng E &E Trading #02-68 SL Sq. The shop owner can do soldering to extend the strip and wiring as well.

Last Saturday, I realize the shop next to it has Rigid strip with clear pvc cover instead of frosted , unfortunately the chips are of 5050 type.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

7020 LED Rigid Strip Light for planted tank

Im there right now haha.. He said he doesn't have 4ft only 1m for $15. But he assured that it is in fact enough coverage for a 4ft tank so I'm taking his word for it haha

Last edited by Johnenrui; 8th Jun 2015 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought extra length of 200mm of strip and aluminum and ask him to soldier the strip . The aluminum I join by screw so that I can have total 1200mm and have both end seated on the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I understand thanks a lot man! But I only bought 1 strip hopefully it's enough haha.. If it isn't I will go down to get one more.. Did you "waterproof" the ends?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No sir, end caps are provided with the aluminum

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha I should be calling you sir. Thank you so much for your replies! They didn't give me end caps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433852775.622357.jpg
    Added 1 RGB strip , just to satisfy itchy finger syndrome

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Woah the difference it makes is astounding.. The blue really brings out a depth in the scape! You got the strip from the same shop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast