Country
    Singapore

Re: Challenges for a New 2ft Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by meepokman View Post
    I've a question about CRS, but don't want to start another thread.

I've have Mosura and SSS grade CRS in my tank. The off springs from these 1st gen shrimps are varied - from S to SS.
    I also have several all white CRS which I suspect is Golden CRS.

If I want to work towards breeding SSS or Mosura, should I keep the golden CRS in the same tank or isolate them?
    If you want to focus on breeding higher grade SSS or Mosura, then have to keep all those different variants separate, otherwise there will always be mixed quality/color offspring being produced.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bettarism View Post
    6 hours of lights enough for your plants? I'm running on 8 hours and there are lots of hair alage, staghorn and BBA.
    Have tested my water parameters and here's the result:

Temperature: 26
    PH: 6
    NItrite: 0
    Nitrate: 20ppm
    Co2: 1bps
    While the number of hours of photo-period counts... the actual intensity of the light and amount of plant density matter alot too.

If you have too much light and too few plants to use the lights, even with short photo-periods, algae will still grow. Reduce the light intensity and photoperiod (raise the light higher above the tank or change to a lower intensity light), and add more fast growing plants to outcompete the algae. Adding floating plants can also help to reduce the light intensity in the tank and also soak up excess light and nutrients.

You'll also need to remove and kill the existing algae that is already established in the tank too, manually remove as much of it as possible, then introduce algae-eating shrimps to consume the algae (ie. minimum 1 cherry shrimp per liter or 1 yamato shrimp per 6 liters) and if possible dose anti-algae treatment (ie. AlgExit) to help weaken the algae and give the algae eaters a fighting chance to help clear the algae.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    While the number of hours of photo-period counts... the actual intensity of the light and amount of plant density matter alot too.

If you have too much light and too few plants to use the lights, even with short photo-periods, algae will still grow. Reduce the light intensity and photoperiod (raise the light higher above the tank or change to a lower intensity light), and add more fast growing plants to outcompete the algae. Adding floating plants can also help to reduce the light intensity in the tank and also soak up excess light and nutrients.

You'll also need to remove and kill the existing algae that is already established in the tank too, manually remove as much of it as possible, then introduce algae-eating shrimps to consume the algae (ie. minimum 1 cherry shrimp per liter or 1 yamato shrimp per 6 liters) and if possible dose anti-algae treatment (ie. AlgExit) to help weaken the algae and give the algae eaters a fighting chance to help clear the algae.
    Bettarism,

I received the same advise from UA some time back too

(1) It's not always about the length of photoperiod. Your algae situation is most likely due to excess of nutrients in the water hence the recommendation for fast growing plants.

(2) If you don't remove the algae, it will continue to grow despite varying the lighting period.

(3) Having said that, lack of CO2 (either in gaseous or chemical additive) limits the plants in utilising the exiting nutrients. You can consider increasing CO2 for the tank. (On a side note, Excel helped me in combating hair algae).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12