-1 (50%)
    Country
    Singapore

Plants ID?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone, I have just bought a few plants from clementi which I do not know the names of. And do red plants need more iron to maintain their redness? If so where can I get some iron supplements beside the Seachem flourish which I have now?

Please help to id them thank you

Feedback Score
    -1 (50%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plants ID?

Do anyone know about these plants?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The photos are not really clear, but i could offer some guesses...

Photo 1: Could be tall hairgrass or cyprus helferi or vallisneria, you'll have to take a closer up photo with better lighting. The plant with larger green leaves could be some sort of hygrophila species.

Photo 2 and 4: Looks like alterna reineckii or similar species.

Photo 3: Could be emersed form of rotala rotundifolia or one of the other rotala species, need better photo in brighter lighting to see.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    -1 (50%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The photos are not really clear, but i could offer some guesses...

Photo 1: Could be tall hairgrass or cyprus helferi or vallisneria, you'll have to take a closer up photo with better lighting. The plant with larger green leaves could be some sort of hygrophila species.

Photo 2 and 4: Looks like alterna reineckii or similar species.

Photo 3: Could be emersed form of rotala rotundifolia or one of the other rotala species, need better photo in brighter lighting to see.
    Wow those are quite spot on, thanks!

Is there any special care for red plants? First time playing with them.

Also, do any of the plants mentioned need special care? Extra ferts or CO2 etc

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hardscape View Post
    Wow those are quite spot on, thanks!

Is there any special care for red plants? First time playing with them.

Also, do any of the plants mentioned need special care? Extra ferts or CO2 etc
    Its seems different types of red plants have different requirements, but generally for those that are naturally already red to start with (not red due to lean nutrient conditions or stress)... just a good balance of ample light, Co2 and full range of macro and micro nutrients would give them all the necessary components to continue healthy red leaf growth.

As for dosing additional iron, its not really a strict requirement to bring out red coloration in plants, it'll depend whether the particular plants actually need and can use it effectively, so just have to dose and see if it helps.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    -1 (50%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Its seems different types of red plants have different requirements, but generally for those that are naturally already red to start with (not red due to lean nutrient conditions or stress)... just a good balance of ample light, Co2 and full range of macro and micro nutrients would give them all the necessary components to continue healthy red leaf growth.

As for dosing additional iron, its not really a strict requirement to bring out red coloration in plants, it'll depend whether the particular plants actually need and can use it effectively, so just have to dose and see if it helps.
    Alright thank you, what product would you recommend for the extra iron?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hardscape View Post
    Alright thank you, what product would you recommend for the extra iron?
    You can try Seachem Flourish Iron as a nutrient supplement, its usually available at most of the popular/larger LFS. There are also other brands of iron fertilizers too, and those should also work the same.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The first pic should be cyprus helferi (left) and Gymnocoronis spilanthoides , and the 2nd and 4th pic are emersed grown Ludwigia glandulosa which should turn purple/red under better conditions...

i.e. For L. glandulosa