Country
    Singapore

yamato shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    bought 2 plants yesterday.
    As i was unable to plant them immediately [need to rush back office after lunch], i dump the whole thing [ie plant+the small plastic basket holding its roots] into the tank.

Horrified to find all 6 yamato shrimps dead 4hrs later. One corpse was at the basket, the position was such that as if it was nimbling on it.

i remember i did this once on another tank and most YS also died. Thought it was due to new tank syndrome then.

do u guys think this could be really the cause of the death.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i remember one plant farm telling me that the pot and wool holding the plants can contain a lot of fertiliser and even pesticides/herbicides. that's why it's good to remove the plant and rinse thoroughly before use. Why some people find even this hard (not referring to you peter :P - i am recalling another post) I don't know.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:49acd98eab="budak"]i remember one plant farm telling me that the pot and wool holding the plants can contain a lot of fertiliser and even pesticides/herbicides. that's why it's good to remove the plant and rinse thoroughly before use. Why some people find even this hard (not referring to you peter :P - i am recalling another post) I don't know.[/quote:49acd98eab]

holy-shit! pesticides omg, how ignorant i was, all the while i thought it just some fertilizer and the wool to keep the roots moist during transporting.
    Poor shrimps. Luckily all the fishes are alright. wonder if i should change the water

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I won't be surprised that the farm or LFS dosed anti-snail chems... which is usually fatal to other inverts like shrimp too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some plant farmers also treated their plants with bleach before export. Even Ah Pek at the old Fish Farm Roads do it.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d6dd38fa43="juggler"]Some plant farmers also treated their plants with bleach before export. Even Ah Pek at the old Fish Farm Roads do it.[/quote:d6dd38fa43]

Is this the reason why plant from LFS always look perfect? No algae?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:3427780156="kc"][quote:3427780156="juggler"]Some plant farmers also treated their plants with bleach before export. Even Ah Pek at the old Fish Farm Roads do it.[/quote:3427780156]

Is this the reason why plant from LFS always look perfect? No algae?[/quote:3427780156]

nope, they are referring to plants in their concrete ponds.. storage, shipping purpose.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:9cfe62cd93="vinz"]I won't be surprised that the farm or LFS dosed anti-snail chems... which is usually fatal to other inverts like shrimp too.[/quote:9cfe62cd93]

so if the plants are from an lfs that has snails in his plant tanks... should be safe right? i have not seen my yamatoes since i put a few plants in with their pots - but my yamatoes tend to disappear for a few days at a time and come out BIGGER each time... so they may just be molting (spelling?) right?

how could i overlook such a fundemental thing... PESTICIDES!!! sigh...

EDIT - but then again... the snails are still alive and running rampant!!!

Feedback Score
    today my yamatoes showed up again... dont look particularly bigger then i last saw them.. but with what seems like slightly darker color... must be the frozen bloodworms i started feeding last week..... neons also looking brighter...

on that point - how do you guys feed frozen bloodworms? must thaw first or not?