Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: White sand can use for planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

White sand can use for planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw few tank in ADA contest using white sand and it look nice. Can white sand use for planted tank? need to put base fertilizer as normal setup and white sand covered on top right?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yea can be done. Of course make sure the sand is inert.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No, those white sand ain't suitable. Its for decoration purposes or should i say part of the scape. The compactness of the white sand does not allow the roots to grow.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But couldn't it be like in the front portion only? The rest being normal gravel... :P

hii, ignore my "advice"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ADA has its own brand of white sand which is suitable for planted tanks (no idea if sold locally). The sand commonly available in construction sites, on the beach etc... is too easily compacted and small-grained for growing aquatic plants, giving the roots little avenue to grow. At most you can use it as a top layer for effect. I have seen some regular aquarium gravel that is quite pale in colour though. You have to search around.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks!

O i c .... i think for decoration maybe. The area that need to do planting will still use normal sand.

If I plant deep until the root touch the fertilizer layer and white sand just cover a bit on top for decoration, do you think the plant will grow?...

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: White sand can use for planted tank?

[quote:219766e33d="hii"]Saw few tank in ADA contest using white sand and it look nice. Can white sand use for planted tank? need to put base fertilizer as normal setup and white sand covered on top right?[/quote:219766e33d]

White sand? It is going to make the fishes and plants very pale if not properly used. And you understand why arowana tanks are mostly BLACK black...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Folks,
    ADA uses the white sand in front only.
    You'll see a dividing line in the scapes, there are wood or rocks separating the stem planting in the rear.

They add the powersand to the base where the plants are, then the aqua soil.

He uses a carboard insert to line up the dividing line between the planted section and white sand open area in the front.

Any white sand will be fine really, even aragonite/dolomite with your soft GH's, and KH's.

You can see the AGA site as ADA did a display tank where he did one of these.

There are a number of them around in the USA.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Saw a pack of ADA "Borneo sand" at Keong Seong. The sand looks very fine grained and is pale grey in colour. Not sure if it is meant for planted tank or not. Should make a great home for loaches and catfishes though.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica