Thread: Please recommend hardy plants for beginner

Feedback Score

Please recommend hardy plants for beginner

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello fellas,

My situation is that I am thinking of going into live planted tanks. Previously, I keep plastic plants (which still looks kinda real), with a piece of driftwood.

I have a 2 ft tank, with a OH filter and a Eheim cannister 2213. I keep cories and some cardinals, and 2 Otos. There is no base fertilizer in my gravel. (Thinking of using the JBL balls and maybe liquid fert) Lighting isn't too strong, and don't really intend to change.

Can anyone please recommend me some hardy, pretty plants that can survive in the conditions mentioned above?

I would preferably like to larger plants for background and little ones for the foreground.

Do help me, planted tank experts! Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What lights do you have? Intend to add CO2?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What lights do you have? Intend to add CO2?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response, no, no CO2, too expensive.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can try anubias and java fern.. both require low light and can survive without C02

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Go for Anubias species, java ferns/moss, Echinodorus amazonicus(swordplant),Vallisneria asiatica(most common type found in lsf)& Hygrophila difformis/polysperma.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm... though Anubius and Java ferns are hardy, they grow sooo slowly, especially in a Co2-less environment. almost like living plastic plants.
    IMO, it is more satisfying for beginners to get fast growing plants. You can try those common Val, swords in LFS.
    regarding the CO2 issue, you can use DIY CO2 using yeast and sugar. It is cheap and simple enough.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions, fellas, I don't think I will be setting up the yeast CO2 system as I am not a handy person, and quite simply, a bit lazy.

Vals and swords, hmmmmmm............will check them out.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, i used to have "very real-looking" plastic plants too![]

then a colleague convinced me to change to real plants, cos they help to condition the water too. i tried nanas and java ferns with good success. no co2 and 2ft tank light only 15w.

bought 1 pot of nanas from rainbow for $5, split into 4 plants. among these 4, new leaves continue to take turns to grow!

java fern, bought the big $8 one on wood from petmart. new baby plants growing out from those too. and the curly (java ferns?) short ones on wood $3 from petmart, also growing.

i used to put in sera floren, liquid fertilizer, but stopped for sometime now, after i experienced some algae problem. now plants are still growing.

maybe because my fish are productive (?[] ) and also that there WERE some overfeeding when i started up...

good luck!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nana, java fern, Enchindoras.. me also into hardy plants.. but did tried to be a bit venturous...and experimenting with tiger lilies, and some other plants that i do not know the names.. hahah.. coz me new into planted tank..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you do not have strong light, you do not need to added anything into the water. Fish food and waste should be sufficient. Maybe just a few iron root tabs in the gravel will do. Otherwise, very likely to have algae problem.

BC

Feedback Score
    What are nana plants? What do they look like?

Anyway, I got myself some java ferns today. Still looking for some more plants. Coryfav! I am keeping 6 pygmies, 2 atropernous,(something like that), and 2 gossei in the tank.

That's why I don't wanna go wrong, don't wanna hurt those little fellas.

Also, my Otos are doing a good job of controlling algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    leonghui, refer to our database

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    leonghui, nana is a anubias plant, i believe. i call it a short plant with broad leaves. my corydoras love to hide under the leaves, or sit on the leaves![]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Most of the nanas/anubias plants sold in lfs or farms are tied to wood. They would be your best choice for a hardy plant but I can tell you they are super slow growers. I suggest trying DIY co2. If you're lazy to setup one. Juz get the JBL co2 bottle which may cost ard $12. Not too expensive and difficult to do.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]