Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My first vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ahhh okay.. Well I do have mating pair of Red Devils in the small tank.. Ah well. Cross fingers none decides to kill the others.. Might shift the remaining Red Devils to other tank instead

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

As long as the crabs don't kill each other I think its alright. Hahaha I'm tempted to go buy more crabs now.
    What colour crabs did you see at C328?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Red Devils and purple vamps. Purples void of females. Reds void of males. I will snap pics after work later. The PVC I got are some what nicely colored. Claws are a deep shade of purple. One has a distinct yellow, the other a fading one on its carapace. I guess I really should head to sv this weekend.

ps: let's try to revive the interest in Geosesarma again..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Junneh View Post
    Red Devils and purple vamps. Purples void of females. Reds void of males. I will snap pics after work later. The PVC I got are some what nicely colored. Claws are a deep shade of purple. One has a distinct yellow, the other a fading one on its carapace. I guess I really should head to sv this weekend.

ps: let's try to revive the interest in Geosesarma again..
    Post more pics of your setup to spread the poison.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    Post more pics of your setup to spread the poison.
    Mine tank isn't fancy.. I believe there are many gurus here with mind blowing setups... We just have to seek them out.. Haha. U should post pics of ur tank instead

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Update... just got home... devastating sight.. 1 dead red devil. 2 PVCs seem somewhat lethargic? All 3 crabs were bought 2 days ago, 21/5/2016 from C328. Older batch of vamps seem fine. Couple of molts from my juvenile crabs. Sigh, monday blues :c

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Its normal to lose crabs after buying them. Usually if the crabs make it past the first week after purchase, then I know it is stable.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anything I can do to prevent more deaths? I don't wanna lose my 2 PVCs too. I doubt pvc and Red Devils can interbreed though.. Saw my female red devil chasing off my male pvc off the driftwood.. Lol. Or maybe the male is just hen pecked? xD

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Females don't kill males unless he's chicken.
    Just bought a red devil female and purple male today. I'm still thinking what I should do with them.
    If I were to put them in the same tank, I will have to catch the dominating male out and let the newbies just adjusted to the tank first.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Females don't kill males unless he's chicken.
    Just bought a red devil female and purple male today. I'm still thinking what I should do with them.
    If I were to put them in the same tank, I will have to catch the dominating male out and let the newbies just adjusted to the tank first.
    Hello Cardinal, I read up an old thread and realized purple vamps and red devils are actually different species. Thus they are unable to interbreed. Not sure how true that is.

Where did u get ur crabs from? Did u happen to see any female purple vamp or male red devils?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Junneh View Post
    Hello Cardinal, I read up an old thread and realized purple vamps and red devils are actually different species. Thus they are unable to interbreed. Not sure how true that is.

Where did u get ur crabs from? Did u happen to see any female purple vamp or male red devils?
    Yes that's what I read too.
    Bought the crabs from C328. All male purple ones left. Seaview no stock for vampire crabs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the update! I asked the assistant at c328 florist for new shipment of vamps but he directed me to the auntie...but auntie no where to be seen..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just noticed some bugs in my vivarium..probably from the driftwood i added recently.. juveniles seem to be molting more frequently now.. adults are somewhat shy, still hiding within flora and driftwood..

Called up a couple of lfs but they have no idea when next shipment of Geosesarma will arrive.. dammit

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What type of vampire crabs are you looking for? Will help you keep a lookout when I go LFS hopping.
    I always see the common purple species. The red devils not too often. Have you seen the orange (cream coloured) species before? I saw a pair of them at C328, but they were bigger than the normal vampire crab size so I was not sure if they were true vampire crabs.

Here is a link to the picture
    http://freshwateraquatics.co.uk/inde...color-357.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What type of vampire crabs are you looking for? Will help you keep a lookout when I go LFS hopping.
    I always see the common purple species. The red devils not too often. Have you seen the orange (cream coloured) species before? I saw a pair of them at C328, but they were bigger than the normal vampire crab size so I was not sure if they were true vampire crabs.

Here is a link to the picture
    http://freshwateraquatics.co.uk/inde...color-357.html
    Im looking for red devils male and purple vamps female. My red devils doesnt seem to be true breed either. 2 of The female red devils have a brownish carapace and dark reddish brown claws. 1 female red devil had bright red claws but orangish carspace on its top. My purple vamps have a yellow pattern on the top of its carapace. Not sure if thats the normal purp vamp u are referring to

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, the yellow pattern is the common purple I am referring to. There is another which is purple/black without the yellow which is also common.
    I have seen the beige/cream/orange coloured ones before but I heard there was only 1 shipment that came in.
    I'm thinking of setting up a special vampire crab breeding tub for breeding the more uncommon ones.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Heres a pic for you. My active dominant male always roams about during daytime.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thats really nice.. i will be in ur debt.. please update me if u do spot the vamps im looking for.. i have seen some rare variants from german hobbyists.. apparently crabs are highly prized in europe..

My purple male vamps are bigger than the rest but they seem to be always hiding in the flora or wood.. its the brownish females that comes out occasionally..

Yeah, it will be nice to get out hands on the rare variants.. count me in if u spot any!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Another pic of him. Starring at me angrily for making him a photoshoot model without consent!
    PS: Excuse the foggy glass!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good link on vampire crab variants and colour.
    http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...vampire&page=3

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast