Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My first vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Im thinking of christmas moss as a scape but idk how long it will take for the moss to root itself into the sand.. another issue is the transition to emersed form

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think c328 sells the moss in emersed sheets. As long as they stay moist it should be fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Im tempted to add a few small leafed anubias to the tank. Might head down to capricon this weekend for a look.. any suggestions for extremely low requirement plants?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anubias will be good. But my anubias tend to die off or get chewed upon after awhile. You can also try to place some java moss in the water area.
    In my experience money plants are the easiest. They are almost indestructible.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Currently I have a big leafed anubias in my main tank but its dying out somehow.. edge of leaves turning yellow etc.. I have 2 other plants on driftwoods in my 2nd tank but have no idea what they are. Java ferns seem to do well..but it looks boring xD
    Money plant is a succulent plant right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Money plants are Epipremnum aureum. They have different species with different colours and shades of green and white.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Heres my current tank now mostly taken over by money plants. Whatever plant that didnt make it, was taken over by my money plants.

They are cheap, extremely easy, fast growers and dont require alot of light. Highly recommended for an easy vivarium setup. Actually for vivariums, we have the option to choose more terrestial plant types so dont just limit yourself to buying your plants from lfs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ohh thanks for the info.. i think i do have that plant at home.. Its a creeping plant right? Im actually thinking of spraying liquid ferts now.. either flourish or bw lush..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are they escape artiste? I recently setup a 20 x 20 for my 2 tiny goby (can't have them in my shrimp/fish community tank, or in my macrostoma tank) with upper space being emersed set up but very close to the top of the glass.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Are they escape artiste? I recently setup a 20 x 20 for my 2 tiny goby (can't have them in my shrimp/fish community tank, or in my macrostoma tank) with upper space being emersed set up but very close to the top of the glass.
    Yes they are escape artistes.
    They will escape if you have plants that have grown near to the rim of the tank. By the way, when you mention upper space being emersed, is your tank setup a paludarium? They are not fully aquatic and need a 50/50 setup and dry land.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Cardinal. My tank's in a crisis. I had 3 females and 2 males in my purple tank.. 1 male killed a female & chasing the rest.. any idea how to reduce hostility? Suspect that male vamp is a homo =="

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello Cardinal. My tank's in a crisis. I had 3 females and 2 males in my purple tank.. 1 male killed a female & chasing the rest.. any idea how to reduce hostility? Suspect that male vamp is a homo =="

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Take out and isolate the hostile male for a few days. Another option is to provide more hiding places but it not guranteed to stop the hostile male.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    Yes they are escape artistes.
    They will escape if you have plants that have grown near to the rim of the tank. By the way, when you mention upper space being emersed, is your tank setup a paludarium? They are not fully aquatic and need a 50/50 setup and dry land.
    Sort of, it's a tiny tank to house my tiny gobies which can't go into the shrimp and tucano tetra tank as they will eat up the shrimplets, or into my betta macrostoma tank which they will be eaten up. The top is emersed false bottom filled with mosses, dried leaves and rocks (sounds huge but its really tiny space). Gotten a purple vampire (male) and hes cuddling up nice and cosy at one corner now.

His first two days were spent in the water mostly, snatching my gobies frozen bloodworms and brine shrimps and dried pellets that were inside the water... I was considering to get a female but seeing how Juneh is experiencing the male killing off the female, I'm now quite hestitant as my space is quite small (20 x 15 maybe). How l often and how much do you feed one crab?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have been monitoring my crabs for missing legs and claws.. no issues as of now.. u probably need to add more hiding places and cross ur fingers. (20 x 15) probably holds max 2 crabs... My purp tank (45 x 30) has 2 huge males, 2 smaller females. Not much hiding spot other than a driftwood in the middle of the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm thinking of one female only. But then again maybe just have one lone crab. Btw, saw new shipment of crab at c328 yesterday, not vampire I think, it's small with red claws

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Small with red claws? I dont think its red claw crab... does it look like the purple vampire while disregarding its color? Im currently trying to promote mating while keeping my anubias alive. Im new to plants so its a huge headache for me. Maybe cardinal can shed some light on this..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
    Sort of, it's a tiny tank to house my tiny gobies which can't go into the shrimp and tucano tetra tank as they will eat up the shrimplets, or into my betta macrostoma tank which they will be eaten up. The top is emersed false bottom filled with mosses, dried leaves and rocks (sounds huge but its really tiny space). Gotten a purple vampire (male) and hes cuddling up nice and cosy at one corner now.

His first two days were spent in the water mostly, snatching my gobies frozen bloodworms and brine shrimps and dried pellets that were inside the water... I was considering to get a female but seeing how Juneh is experiencing the male killing off the female, I'm now quite hestitant as my space is quite small (20 x 15 maybe). How l often and how much do you feed one crab?
    I think you should stick to just one crab. 20x15 is too small 2 crabs.
    Feed the lone crab alternative days or whenever you see that it has finished all the food.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Junneh View Post
    Small with red claws? I dont think its red claw crab... does it look like the purple vampire while disregarding its color? Im currently trying to promote mating while keeping my anubias alive. Im new to plants so its a huge headache for me. Maybe cardinal can shed some light on this..
    For anubias I just leave them on the piece of wood, their roots in the water. Other than that just leave them alone. Mine developed brown tips after a while. I now stick to money plants which are far easier to maintain.

2 days back one I had a security breach and of my vamps escaped. It almost got killed as my colleague thought it was a giant spider. So did one of my frogs which luckily I caught before it jumped away.
    Time to step up on security and replace my plastic sheet cover with acrylic.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bought these 2 at c328 today. Found out that they require brackish water. Will be placing them in my vivarium at home.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast