Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Earthworm in tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ive seen this earthworm a few months back, I thought it would eventually die since its not really aquatic, but why is it still alive till now? How do you remove your uninvited guests?

uploadfromtaptalk1437956553219.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Earthworm in tank

A pair of long pincers/thongs will take care of it. But give that worm to a friend who has big goldfish.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I tried that once.. it was super slippery and was able to escape pretty easily! I even cut it in half! Now... they're 2, could be more 😣

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Look closely at the "worm" in question before deciding what to do with it. Occasionally these "worms" are actually leeches, which you can identify by their movement as well as how they attach to surfaces. You do not want these to infest your tank, along with ribbon worms (usually reddish and slimy looking) and other pests. When using a pincer, try not to "kiap" too hard. If the critter splits into two it will still be alive, especially where ribbon worms are concerned.

Using a suitable trap, whether DIY or commercially available is a better option. Just remember not to leave the trap in the tank overnight in case the critter dies in there and fouls the water.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It actually wiggles i know earth worms move back and fort for movement, the one above moves in a "S" formation like a snake.. so I guess its a tape worm or leech. In both cases.. Im not happy especially if its a tapeworm. Can I buy the trap at Clementi?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Moves in "S" form.. probably leech. Their undulation is unmistakable.

Look for this trap called the Gush Pen. Should be available at Clementi. Alternative is to just DIY your own. Get a small plastic takeaway container, poke a few holes in the lid or the sides. Add a piece of fish food or shrimp food, especially the type you feed to your current livestock. Use a small rock or something as a weight then seal the lid back in place. Before that you can tie a length of nylon fishing line to the trap before sinking it in the tank. Observe the trap every hour or so, usually at night you will get all these critters inside there.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Moves in "S" form.. probably leech. Their undulation is unmistakable.

Look for this trap called the Gush Pen. Should be available at Clementi. Alternative is to just DIY your own. Get a small plastic takeaway container, poke a few holes in the lid or the sides. Add a piece of fish food or shrimp food, especially the type you feed to your current livestock. Use a small rock or something as a weight then seal the lid back in place. Before that you can tie a length of nylon fishing line to the trap before sinking it in the tank. Observe the trap every hour or so, usually at night you will get all these critters inside there.
    Thanks!! Ill rush to buy this trap later. Im having goosebumps just thinking about that leech.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can't see your photo clearly, but if you think it looks like an earthworm and it has lived in your tank for a while, then its quite likely an aquatic worm, perhaps a blackworm... very commonly found amongst tubifex sold at most LFS. They can also hitchhike into a tank as baby worms on plants too.

I kept similar worms in my tanks (they came with the plants) and it didn't cause any issues. I found that they actually helped to eat algae and detritus in the soil and keep it clean:

:: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Can't see your photo clearly, but if you think it looks like an earthworm and it has lived in your tank for a while, then its quite likely an aquatic worm, perhaps a blackworm... very commonly found amongst tubifex sold at most LFS. They can also hitchhike into a tank as baby worms on plants too.

I kept similar worms in my tanks (they came with the plants) and it didn't cause any issues. I found that they actually helped to eat algae and detritus in the soil and keep it clean:
    I agree with shifu UA.
    Also, I have no doubt that those big worms may be good at eating up all the anaerobic bacteria in the substrate too.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!