Images
    Country
    Singapore

Chocolate gourami questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone with experience in keeping them alive? Know that they are very sensitive fishes.

And also, what do you feed them with? They have such small mouth and dun seem receptive to the flakes i feed them. They are so timid and slow swimmers that the most of the flakes are snatched up even before they can eat them. Even time when i pour the flakes in (i sink the fakes for the fishes), they sometimes sort of smell it and swims away...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have tried them, 2 of them died for unknown reason, 1 of them jumped out of my tank . But I have 2 long term survivors (nearly 1 year).

They need good water condition, and they seem pretty territorial towards each others. Initially they are easily frightened, but i guess my other fishes calmed them down (mainly cardinal tetras). Now they feed from my hand!

I feed them with micropellets (those used to feed tetras) and frozen blood worms. They love to pick at the bloodworms that fall on the plants and gravels.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    chocolates are more demanding than your usual gouramis. they will not as a rule thrive in a tank with lots of other active fishes. The best tankmates are fishes from their biotope such as liquorice gouramis, boraras, small rasboras.... NOT tetras, larger gouramis, barbs..... they also do best on live food.... although frozen food (daphnia, brine shrimp) is ok. Also, they are sensitive to poor water conditions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:81e3ebd08e="budak"]chocolates are more demanding than your usual gouramis. they will not as a rule thrive in a tank with lots of other active fishes. The best tankmates are fishes from their biotope such as liquorice gouramis, boraras, small rasboras.... NOT tetras, larger gouramis, barbs..... they also do best on live food.... although frozen food (daphnia, brine shrimp) is ok. Also, they are sensitive to poor water conditions.[/quote:81e3ebd08e]

Too late for me... all gone to heaven already..

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the infor, will try some blood worms tmr.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As "budak" said, I have them with my boraras and so I didn't really have a big problem with feeding them. However, I face a different issue. Let me shared this with you.

I owned two of them and recently, one started to be a little more dorminant, contrary to belief that they are "timid". It became so that 1 of them actually got it's body a little discolored, and it's not in the sense that it got timid but more so of the scales being hit...

Any advise for such cases?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They can get aggressive with each other, and tend to form a pecking order... so keeping a small group of at least 4-5 rather than 2 is better to disperse the aggression.

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fed them live blood worms, they ate but not alot like the tetras. Even my sae is eating the worms?!! and yeah, they seemed to prefer picking at the worms that are on the plants or fallen to the gravel...well...at least they are eating something.

I got 5 and also experience some aggression coming from 1 fellow. He/She chases away the rest that comes near it. And on the contary to saying that they school when kept in group of 5-6 which i read from somewhere...they do not

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I got the same experience.
    When I had 5 of them, they were chasing each other around.

Right now the 2 left are quite equal in my tank... they try not to get into each other's path I guess the strongest of them survived

They don't seem to mind my tetras and lamp eyes, actually they have learned to snatch the food before the tetras, well anyway, they have grown fat......

Right now they are a nice dark brownish color, unless when i scare them too much, like when i am rescaping or scrubing the glass, then they will turn slightly greyish / discolored.

I think if they look greyish most of time, they should be under a lot of stress