Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Super low maintenance shrimp tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This is my first shrimp tank that I scaped... Not exactly a planted tank per se, but it requires very low lighting so algae shouldnt be a problem. Didnt want to use CO2 for the setup, coz its small and dun want any mishaps for a small tank. Tank is 40cm x 25cm x 20cm. uploadfromtaptalk1439565016067.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439565029668.jpg

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Beauty is everywhere, but have you seen it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Super low maintenance shrimp tank

Looks good.. Very nice stones and it makes ur tank look bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice scape!

I agree, the rocks size and layout does make the tank look much larger than it really is... though the sponge filter kinda disrupts the scale perspective, maybe consider switching to a small hang-on filter instead.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha... I feel the same about the sponge filter... Was actually intending to buy the gex superslim... But in case I have shrimplets, I dun want them to get sucked up... So give and take a little, sacrifice the aesthetics a little... On the other hand, I"m doing up a 622, so at least that will stop me from tinkering with this tank

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Beauty is everywhere, but have you seen it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What rocks is that? Look really good. But do take note that some rocks will causes high TDS. Only lava rocks is safe for shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, What kind of rocks cause high tds??

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tanchini88 View Post
    Hi, What kind of rocks cause high tds??
    The only way to know is to test the rocks and see how much minerals they release over time. Soak the rocks in a bucket of water and test the TDS at the start and then test again a few days or a week later, see if the TDS have changed.

Another way to test is to drip vinegar onto the rocks, if it fizzles then high chance its calcareous and would raise TDS. But note that rocks which don't fizzle could still raise TDS (they could be releasing it slower or maybe releasing other chemicals), so that method is not really 100% foolproof.

Its also possible that some lava rocks could still raise TDS too, especially if they were harvested from higher mineral environments, or previously used as garden substrate or in other aquariums which had lots of fertilizers or minerals dosed (lava rocks will trap those minerals and chemicals), so have to test and monitor them too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Most of the hardier Neocaridinas (PFRs and below)will adapt to higher alkalinity given time, and gradual acclimatization. It may not be optimal, but they still breed readily under higher KH levels. Regular small water changes preventing the TDS from rising too high will be constructive. The effect of using limestone in a non-CO2 tank is not as dramatic as in a CO2 injected tank where the KH reaction with carbonic acid raises the KH quickly. Shrimps are pretty flexible if you keep them healthy by having good water quality. I have CRS in tanks with plenty of lava rock, and neos in many tanks with seiryu/san sui rock

Shrimps on a mountain load of seiryu/san sui rock
    Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 17th Aug 2015 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tank! I like the perspective and scale. May your shrimps thrive in this tank!