Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pleco needing identification at TB lfs

Feedback Score

pleco needing identification at TB lfs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    went to the lfs at TB (Ben's i thk) and he has two pleco up for sale. i wish to know their identities.

one is olive green with yellowish dots on its head only (not mango pleco) and the other is black with white dots. selling for $35@ and all of them abt 2.5" ~ 3" now.

i wish to know if they r of the dwarf species and can i keep them in my cory tank.
    if not small species, how big do they grow to?

ps: dont u guys go and buy them now that i have mentioned !! [] []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Hi Rain

The black wif white spots is i think the golden nugget (L01 or the Scobinancistrus spp. (L133-larger white spots). I believe the L018 grows up to 14" long...Gan has them too. Sorry, can't remember the one wif yellowish dots on the head. Akoh wld prob be much much better at this.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    but nizz, i dont recall the black and white one having any white line of colouration on the tip of the dosal fin like L018. or do u thk its still too young to have colour??

i thot golden nugget is gold in colour???
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    rain, thanks for telling. i'm flying over now!

[] [] [] no lah, i not so cruel. finder's keepers, right?

the green one sounds like what i was eyeing in b328, the L200, Baryancistrus sp. looked abit like corydoras similis, right? so, did you find the c. similis?

L200 grows to 5ins, temp 22-25, ph 6.5-7.2. scotcat.com has 3 pictures of them.

the other one, i forgot lao... go to scotcat, check it out and fly back to tiongbahru again! today is sunday, very risky...[]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    look at LDA33, snowball pleco? i still checking...
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bo lao. i very bad at pleco identification, cos never kept them - yet!

nizz or anybody, my 3ft tank is only over 2 weeks old, already has some fish there. waiting for another week or two before i put in the rummy nose tetras and cardinal tetras. can i put in a pleco now? or maybe next weekend, when i plan to go "topo" to gan's?

tks!

Feedback Score
    Hi coryfav

I think (an opinion here...) if for the 2 wks ur tank parameters have somewhat stabilised & ur other fish have settled in, i think it's ok for u to add a pleco. I personally wld, but i'm sure the guys here wld advocate quarantine-ing ur new fish first. I learned the hard way wif my hatchetfish...sigh.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    opps, the rest of the fishes already in the 3ft tank. running the 2ft now to prepare to quarantine...![]

nizz, thanks! i think i'll quarantine anymore new fish first, cos that 3ft is abit too big for me to try to rectify anything, should i make any mistake later!!! had to roll up my sleeves just to do any deco adjustments!!![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/31/2002 1:01:44 PM

went to the lfs at TB (Ben's i thk) and he has two pleco up for sale. i wish to know their identities.

one is olive green with yellowish dots on its head only (not mango pleco) and the other is black with white dots. selling for $35@ and all of them abt 2.5" ~ 3" now.

i wish to know if they r of the dwarf species and can i keep them in my cory tank.
    if not small species, how big do they grow to?

ps: dont u guys go and buy them now that i have mentioned !! [] []
    ----------------
    Hi Rain ! the Olive Green with Yellow dots is L200 Gold-Yellow Hypostomus aka Lemon Spotted Green Pleco and the Black with white dots is either LDA33 Big White Spot Pleco or L248 Mega Snowball Pleco, both species are found in Brazil, L200 max size is 6" and the LDA33 and L248 max. size is 8 ", they do okay in Ph 6.5 to 7.5 but " highly oxidated water " is recommended hence additional air stone is a must ! . Both species is Ominvorous ( meat and vege eater ) hence not recommended for Planted tank lah ! Cheers []

Safe Diving !

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    The crowd goes silent as the MAN speaketh....

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    "The crowd goes silent as the MAN speaketh.... "

ah but then?[]

akoh, saw that L200 at b328 during lunchtime again. WOW!!!
    actually, not accidentally. i went there specially to have a peek![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/1/2002 2:08:29 PM

akoh, saw that L200 at b328 during lunchtime again. WOW!!!
    actually, not accidentally. i went there specially to have a peek![]
    ----------------
    Hi Coryfav ! If TB is selling the 2.5" to 3" L200 for 35 bucks ! it's a good buy !. It used to be 80 to 120 bucks ! when it was first introduced !. BTW there is another one that looks similar to L200 ! it's the L128, instead of olive green and yellow dots, the L128 has a darker shade of blue and light blue dots ! this fellow is quite X ! - about 100 bucks !. Gan do have some in this pleco tank ! Check it out ! Cheers []

Safe Diving !

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    akoh,
    what plecos u recommend for planted tank then.. since most of us are having planted tank and would like to keep such exotic plecos.. pls advice..[] coz me is interested in L46.. and some other plecos that i saw at Gans..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/1/2002 8:25:58 PM

akoh,
    what plecos u recommend for planted tank then.. since most of us are having planted tank and would like to keep such exotic plecos.. pls advice..[] coz me is interested in L46.. and some other plecos that i saw at Gans..
    ----------------
    Hi Kel !
    Most plecos are either vege, omni, carni or algae eater !. The Vege Plecos ( eg. L018 Gold Nugget ) are definitely no ! no ! for planted tank , the Omni. Pleco ( eg Zebra L46 ) WILL ONLY chew on CERTAIN plant ONLY !, the Carni. Pleco is the most suitable BUT they generally grow very BIG ! and aggressive too !( eg L25 Scarlet Cat ). The only pleco that is most suitable for planted tank are the Algae Eater species ( eg the Twig Suckermouth catfish ). Those that belongs to the Ancistrus family ( with bristles eg peppermint )is worth a try too ! I think they're " plant friendly " [] , Cheers !

Safe Diving !
    Akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    akoh, thanks for the info.

due to the hassle of going to gan's without a car, i initially thought of just getting the L200 from b328 when my tank's ready for it (gan's price + time + taxi fare + taxi driver's stress = b328's price?)[]

but now that you told me about L128...

yeah, a visit to gan will be like a life's experience to me indeed!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Coryfav ! , " the guys " do make trips to Gan and Teo FF over the weekend, check out and get a lift from them. Cheers !

Safe Diving !

Akoh
    Safe Diving !

kelstorm, coryfav. It depends on how big is your planted setup/ purpose of keeping the pleco. If you need algae vaccuums, I'd suggest a pair of royal farlowella for a 4 footer and a few otos for a 2 footer. If you need something nice to look at, then Zebra is the ultimate. You should can afford even further, look out for juvenille Titanic, which is a potentially big species but slow glowing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/2/2002 1:09:32 PM

I'd suggest a pair of royal farlowella for a 4 footer and a few otos for a 2 footer. If you need something nice to look at, then Zebra is the ultimate. You should can afford even further, look out for juvenille Titanic, which is a potentially big species but slow glowing.
    ----------------
    Gan ! Royal Farlowella ! think better stick to Dwarf Royal Farlowella instead coz' the " Big Royal Farlowella " can create havoc to the planted tank ! [:0] .
    Juvenile Titanic - L273 ! good choice but man ! this fellow is X ! 120 bucks ! [], unless you bring another " big " shipment like what you did at the old FF !. If so ! I'll definitely pick up another few pcs ! [], Cheers !

Safe Diving !
    Akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    allen, ur right (how can u be wrong [] ). L200 and L128 r the ones selling there.

btw c328 is also selling L200 but for $50 instead. i didnt get them yet cos im still deciding. however i did get a gold nugget at $29 from c328. L200 looks really nice .... but $$$$$$ []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/2/2002 11:58:36 PM

allen, ur right (how can u be wrong [] ). L200 and L128 r the ones selling there.

btw c328 is also selling L200 but for $50 instead. i didnt get them yet cos im still deciding. however i did get a gold nugget at $29 from c328. L200 looks really nice .... but $$$$$$ []
    ----------------
    Hi Rain ! 35 bucks is a good buy for both species especially the L128 ! [] .
    29 bucks for L18 ! good buy ! Btw how big is the fellow ?. FYI there are 4 species of gold nugget, they're from different rivers hence the coloration and size of the dots are different.
    The season and shipment for pleco is coming ! June or July ! , Cheers ! []

Safe Diving !
    Akoh
    Safe Diving !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast