Country
    Singapore

Fertilization Inquiries about Plantacote

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Just want to check if i need to dose the followings if i put a few capsule of DYI Fertilizer Capsule (plantacote) to my substrate.

1.Seachem Iron
    2. Seachem Flourish
    3. Seachem Pottasium

Are these 3 items necessary or i can stop it dosing this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fertilization Inquiries about Plantacote

It depends on how much of the plants in your tank are rooted into the substrate and how many fert capsules you put into the substrate (they only release nutrients to a small area around the capsule). You will need to observe the plant growth and adjust accordingly.

If you have plants which are not rooted, then it'll still be a good idea to dose the Seachem ferts to supply nutrients in the water column for those plants.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro the only not rooted on my plants was the Flame moss which are tied on the drift wood. All are rooted. I just wondering because when i check it with FE test its zero. Does it means the plantacote does not supply the necessary FE needed?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Thatasky View Post
    Bro the only not rooted on my plants was the Flame moss which are tied on the drift wood. All are rooted. I just wondering because when i check it with FE test its zero. Does it means the plantacote does not supply the necessary FE needed?
    The thing about testing for iron levels is that there are different forms of iron (ie. chelated or non-chelated form) in different fertilizers, so certain tests may not detect the specific form.

Not sure what form of iron that plantacote supplies though... i guess you'll have to do more research on it.

Also, since the plantacote ferts are buried in the substrate, its nutrients are not released into the water column (majority will stay inside the soil), so the test kits that use tank water to test may not detect those nutrients too.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 18th Aug 2015 at 20:00.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The thing about testing for iron levels is that there are different forms of iron (ie. chelated or non-chelated form) in different fertilizers, so certain tests may not detect the specific form.

Not sure what form of iron that plantacote supplies though... i guess you'll have to do more research on it.

Also, since the plantacote ferts are buried in the substrate, its nutrients are not released into the water column (majority will stay inside the soil), so the test kits that use tank water to test may not detect those nutrients too.

Bro. i just check the data specs and its chelated

http://www.horticentre.co.nz/file/Pl...uss-4M-HC-.pdf

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Thatasky View Post
    Bro. i just check the data specs and its chelated

http://www.horticentre.co.nz/file/Pl...uss-4M-HC-.pdf
    Okay, then it'll depend on whether the test kit you are using detects which type of form. Some test kits detect both forms though, so you'll just have to check.

Though like i mentioned, the Fe content may not show up significantly since the fertilizer is buried inside the substrate (and its supposed to release the nutrients slowly over time), compared to if iron were to be dosed in liquid or powder form directly into the water column.

If thats the case, then just have to observe the plant growth to monitor the nutrient levels.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

And there is also another reason why the test is zero. Plantcote iron chelate is EDTA,this iron chelate is stable at pH below 6.0. Above pH of 6.5, nearly 50% of the iron is unavailable and it is only 0.4% FE.
    EDTA is a very stable chelate of micro-elements that why they mixed it together with the product. The best FE is EDDHA if you can effort it, 2nd is FE DTPA.
    You can google it for more info.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok bro thanks for the great explanation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

One more question, i been trying to research also about the effect of UV filter to iron FE. is it true that it got effect? i can't find much info on the internet.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So far i've read that UV could cause certain forms of iron to precipitate... not sure if the tests are conclusive though.

Some discussions on it here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25722
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images

Hi, by the way, where u got your plantcote? Not commonly available in small pack in normal gardening stall I think...I'm thinking to try out too.

Sent from my HM 1SW using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images

OK, thanks bro.

Sent from my HM 1SW using Tapatalk