Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mollies mating

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    saw my black mollies mating today.. normally how long does it take for them to give birth?? from what i know.. they are livebearers.. if they give birth, what do i feed them with? should i separate them?
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can get ready liquid fry food for livebearers at any good LFS

the parents will eat the young

breeding traps are often used for breeding livebearers.

alternatively, you can float a lot of cabomba for the frys to seek shelter right after they are born.

depends on whats in your tank, you may or may not need to take them out. and you dont have to rush to take them out now. It will be very obvious when she is abt to give birth...can even see shape of the babies beneath the abdoment skin. keep her well fed with bloodworms, daphnia, flakes etc

I'm not sure if this applies to all livebearers, some more yours is black mollies, but I know it does work for guppies and swordtails.

Ok, you got the female, watch her, from the top of my head, gestation to brith is approx 28 days, one lunar month. watch the belly, as it gets larger, it'll become obvious. First it starts as orange - eggs, and it turns black over time - baby fishes, finally, it'll turn into silver, this means the eyes are formed, normally within 24hrs it'll hatch, so better start preparing to be a midwife.

Do seperate the young, many methods, breeding trap, thick floating riccia in a shallow tank, net. But I'll go for floating riccia, shallow would be about a finger depth at max.

As for raising... grounded fish food, my auntie did it successfully for emporer tetras. Frozen daphnia, not the whole cube if it's only one molly, melt it down and feed periodically.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury