Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Why dont more folks use live plants ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Why dont more folks use live plants ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I think we all agree that a beautifully planted aquarium is both relaxing and beneficial to our fishes, but lots of folks, including myself tend to shy away from trying this part of our hobby. Why do you think this is true, ?
    If At First You Dont Succeed..... Go Fishin

Owner/Admin: http://myfirstfishtank.xyz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why dont more folks use live plants ?

Aqua gardening (water plant gardening) is more difficult than normal gardening.
    It requires as much if not more specialized skills and knowledge than normal gardening.
    It is not easy to be skillful enough to create and maintain a thriving tank of water plants.
    Many experience various problems in trying to keeping their plants healthy.
    But a successful gardener will have the best chance of success in aqua gardening too.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aquatic plants have been known to bring in pests and diseases if not quarantined properly. The pricing of live plants are rather costly for many, especially the rarer ones(like Madagascar Lace, certain Anubias variants and so on) compared to fake plants. Also, fake plants come in many varieties and will not get devoured by vegetarians nor get destroyed easily. Some aquatic plants look unique but are more fragile, so when inexperienced buyers get them and said plant dies- the buyer will be put off by future purchases. Lastly, planted tanks, especially the heavily-planted ones require trimming, fertilizing and lots of stuff to care about- which again, will scare off those new to this aquascaping hobby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm very new in this planted tank business..... But I find it rewarding and very relaxing to see plants that are growing and very healthy.... Right now I'm goin on a very low budget... No aqua soil no co2 canister... Just liquid fertilizer and co2 tablet... Hopefully one day I can manage to have a have a proper set up for planted tank.... With the help and advise frm the masters here I don't think I will have any problem achieving a proper planted tank....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Get plants that are low maintenance so it will not kill off the interest

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Razzy Razman View Post
    I'm very new in this planted tank business..... But I find it rewarding and very relaxing to see plants that are growing and very healthy.... Right now I'm goin on a very low budget... No aqua soil no co2 canister... Just liquid fertilizer and co2 tablet... Hopefully one day I can manage to have a have a proper set up for planted tank.... With the help and advise frm the masters here I don't think I will have any problem achieving a proper planted tank....

Co2 tablets dont actually work.... how big is the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

50 gallon tank.... What u say is true... Doesn't really work....

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

50 gallons that is a three feet tank right? you might as well use C02 tank....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup.... I plan to get one.... Im goin Seaview later... See what system they got... Any recommendations??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Why dont more folks use live plants ?

I'm using a 3L cylinder with ANS solenoid regulator plus brass bubble counter. Should cost you around $130++ or more; I'm not good at remembering receipts haha due to always hiding them from the madam at home.

By the way, if you are new at setting it all up, you can ask the staff there to assemble it all for you. My friend did this last weekend. Great service at Seaview I must say.
    Last edited by aza; 7th Sep 2015 at 15:59. Reason: Add info

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    I'm using a 3L cylinder with ANS solenoid regulator plus brass bubble counter. Should cost you around $130++ or more; I'm not good at remembering receipts haha due to always hiding them from the madam at home.

By the way, if you are new at setting it all up, you can ask the staff there to assemble it all for you. My friend did this last weekend. Great service at Seaview I must say.
    Hahaha haha..... Thanks aza.... Ya... Seaview guys always willing to help and go the extra mile if u ask them for reccomendation...... That's why I like going there eventho I'm like at the other side of sg..... And thanks for yr reccomendation