Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 97

Thread: My 2ft Vivarium

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    87
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Yes the top view of your pump compartment.
    wanted to do a waterfall but still not sure how to do it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Herr you go, I used eggcrates covered with cork bark to make the partition.
    20150904_081137.jpg

    20150904_081121.jpg

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    87
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    213
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    21
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Nice bark background!

    I think you still can deepen the pond if you want? But it is nice as it is now too.. cool water feature too.

    For the mosses, you can try adding different kinds of mosses to see which one grows better in your tank. But you will need some patience for the mosses though.. it takes a few months to occupy your tank. Try to keep the tank cool and humid. If it is warm and humid, it will favor the growth of mold. But you will still see some mold grow in the initial phase too, don't worry about it. The mold will die off afterwards, and the moss and algae will take over.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla83 View Post
    Nice bark background!

    I think you still can deepen the pond if you want? But it is nice as it is now too.. cool water feature too.

    For the mosses, you can try adding different kinds of mosses to see which one grows better in your tank. But you will need some patience for the mosses though.. it takes a few months to occupy your tank. Try to keep the tank cool and humid. If it is warm and humid, it will favor the growth of mold. But you will still see some mold grow in the initial phase too, don't worry about it. The mold will die off afterwards, and the moss and algae will take over.
    Thanks for the tip, can you recommend any easy to keep mosses, preferably without constantly having to keep them moist constantly?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Just a quick update here on the tank. I'm letting the plants grow in so not much has changed. Fittonas have shown the most growth.
    20150911_011107.jpg

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    In the meantime I'm experiencing some browning out of my nana leaves. Can anyone help tell me why it is 'burning' out?

    20150911_010114.jpg

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Another plant that doesnt seem to be doing well. I think it is what people here refer to as HC? I bought this at C328 and it seems that some parts of the leaves are drying and looking fried despite regular watering. Could this be from excessive watering?

    20150911_010957.jpg

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    213
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    21
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    In the meantime I'm experiencing some browning out of my nana leaves. Can anyone help tell me why it is 'burning' out?

    20150911_010114.jpg
    Happened to the plants in my tank too.. not sure why, it only appears on those leaves that are always wet for me... maybe it's the wetness? But quite ironic as I thought this plant likes wetness.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    Another plant that doesnt seem to be doing well. I think it is what people here refer to as HC? I bought this at C328 and it seems that some parts of the leaves are drying and looking fried despite regular watering. Could this be from excessive watering?

    20150911_010957.jpg
    I think it could be due to some of the stems and roots being damaged/squashed during transplanting/handling, as this plant is so small and delicate... Just need to give it some time to acclimatize and grow.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    213
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    21
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    Thanks for the tip, can you recommend any easy to keep mosses, preferably without constantly having to keep them moist constantly?
    I think most mosses can survive some period of dryness by staying dormant, but maybe you can try finding some Singapore moss to try out.
    http://www.aquamoss.net/Singapore-Mo...apore-Moss.htm

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla83 View Post
    I think most mosses can survive some period of dryness by staying dormant, but maybe you can try finding some Singapore moss to try out.
    http://www.aquamoss.net/Singapore-Mo...apore-Moss.htm
    Thanks for the info. Nowadays there are so many different kinds of mosses. I remember when I first started planted tanks there were only java moss. Xmas moss was just being 'discovered' then.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    This came in the mail today!

    2015-09-22 23.11.31.jpg
    Last edited by Cardinal Tetra; 22nd Sep 2015 at 23:13.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Did a temporary hookup to the tank to see how it works out.
    Very pleased and well worth money spent! For those thinking of buying the aquarium mister, consider buying a humidifier instead. Cheaper and it blows cool air too.
    Will be going to the LFS to buy some proper hoses and will post more pics once I've set it up properly.

    20150922_230655.jpg

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,727
    Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Brilliant!!

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Nice!

    Btw... if you want to try using a mist maker (the ones that are put into the water and generate a fog layer via ultrasonic effect), can check at Qian Hu, they currently have a clearance sale on them at only $5 each (huge discount from the original retail price of $40-$50). I bought a few recently to try out for a paludarium project and they work well.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    595
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    120
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Nice!

    Btw... if you want to try using a mist maker (the ones that are put into the water and generate a fog layer via ultrasonic effect), can check at Qian Hu, they currently have a clearance sale on them at only $5 each (huge discount from the original retail price of $40-$50). I bought a few recently to try out for a paludarium project and they work well.
    I heard that such mist makers tend to heat up the water after prolonged use. Maybe you can share with us whether its true, as I'm planning to get one myself.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    I heard that such mist makers tend to heat up the water after prolonged use. Maybe you can share with us whether its true, as I'm planning to get one myself.
    Well, the mist makers should be connected to plug timers, so you just schedule it to activate at intervals... like a few minutes every 30mins or an hour.

    I've used them to grow out plants that are undergoing DSM, so i don't need to manually mist them anymore. I put the mist maker in a small cup of water and it activates at fixed timings to humidify the tank.

    They don't heat up the water, unless you leave it running continuously non-stop for hours (the instruction manuals also mention not to leave it on for long periods).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,024
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    I tried it once. It provide very nice and nature looking mist. However, it also mess with the PH and TDS monitoring system, shooting the PH to 12 and higher and erratic TDS readings. Unsure if they are any effect on fauna as I test it when my tank was still cycling. It also need to be place at just a few cm below the water surface for it to perform at optimal level, meaning it topping up and monitoring evaporate has to be constant.

    With that said, if you desire a nice misty effect like those water features, mist maker is the way to go, will try to retrieve the deleted short video that I took when I tested the mist maker.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,024
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium




    While I love the effect, I didn't get around to test if there were any ill effect on fauna, but there were people who shared that they did not notice any effect at all and safe to use.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My 2ft Vivarium

    Just to add on... here is a quick test video of the mist maker unit that i use:



    Depending on the water depth, there will be some splashing so just hide it at the back of the tank like what Ingen did in his setup.

    Can also use it to create the boiling effect in a witches cauldron at a Halloween party, so its got multi-purpose use.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •