Singapore

Re: My 2ft Vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn1993 View Post
    vivarium is just plants?
    The correct definition of a vivarium is a tank with inhabitants. You can google the difference between vivariums, terrariums, paludariums etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Cardinal, its been a while. I see u are still conjuring good lookin vivariums. Haha. Keep it up! ��

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I would be interested in purchase if I had money and space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks great. the thing with fittonia is that if the plant gets too wet it will have yellow leaf . Even in terrarium fittonia can be difficult. I had some develop wet rot on the leaf (prolly inadequate light and air circulation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My 2ft Vivarium

The latest set up with fern and Brom is good due to the high humidity levels

Money plant while easy can develop brown spots due to too much moisture as the cells burst

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Junneh View Post
    Hey Cardinal, its been a while. I see u are still conjuring good lookin vivariums. Haha. Keep it up! ��
    Hi there friend, really been a while.
    Thanks for your positive comments, by the way my vampire crab babies have taken over the original office tank as the adults have died off (due to old age most likely).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi veridical, thanks for the tip on fittonias, I'm still trying to get different coloured plants aside from green but they tend to die off after a few months.
    Space is always an issue for me, hope to set up a 4x2x2 vivarium tank one day. Perhaps when I move to a bigger house.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I like fittonia but they are temperamental. It's hard to balance the soil as you keep your vivarium pretty wet

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My 2ft Vivarium

How about cryptanthus. I never had crypts so I can't say how durable they are.

Last edited by veridicaldream; 21st May 2017 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro CardinalTetra.
    Care to share what brand or type of silicone you got and where you bought them from.

I recall not all silicon are aquarium safe. Planning to build a 3ft vivarium.

I like the corkbark background idea. Was thinking of incorporating it with the pu foam sealant spray too. Saw it on youtube (GreatStuff Pond sealant) not sure if they have similar foam spray that is aquarium safe here.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Zacquir View Post
    Hi bro CardinalTetra.
    Care to share what brand or type of silicone you got and where you bought them from.

I recall not all silicon are aquarium safe. Planning to build a 3ft vivarium.

I like the corkbark background idea. Was thinking of incorporating it with the pu foam sealant spray too. Saw it on youtube (GreatStuff Pond sealant) not sure if they have similar foam spray that is aquarium safe here.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk
    I just use normal clear silicone that you can buy from any hardware store. I'm not too concerned about it being not aquarium safe, as since the vivarium is not filled with water unlike an aquarium. I've not used the GreatStuff sealant before but I'm assuming you are referring to the GreatStuff expanding foam that most people use in the US. I heard that you can get them either online or at a store in ubi area but they don't come in cheap.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Time for another periodic update again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The tank is starting to take off..Thinking of adding 2 more green tree frogs and a couple of baby bullfrogs into the vivarium.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey man, wah very nice setup! your frog is super cute, looks fat and happy hahaha,

Can I check with you, before using the tree branches you collected from the roadside, did you have to do any kind of treatment to it? did the wood develop mold or turn soggy?

I am thinking of using tree branches too (raintree those kind), cause I want to set up a tank to keep orchids and the bark on those branches are perfect for the orchid roots to grip, but i'm not sure if it will introduce any parasites or something bad. I dont keep any frogs yet but was thinking of doing a forest stream setup with wild bettas or licorice gouramis in the shallow water.

I have a current small setup using an exoterra tank now, the constant humidity level is usually 98-99%, i have a fan that i set to mimic a breeze periodically throughout the day, do you have any problems with humidity? is my humidity too high?
    "something smells fishy."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Hey man, wah very nice setup! your frog is super cute, looks fat and happy hahaha,

Can I check with you, before using the tree branches you collected from the roadside, did you have to do any kind of treatment to it? did the wood develop mold or turn soggy?

I am thinking of using tree branches too (raintree those kind), cause I want to set up a tank to keep orchids and the bark on those branches are perfect for the orchid roots to grip, but i'm not sure if it will introduce any parasites or something bad. I dont keep any frogs yet but was thinking of doing a forest stream setup with wild bettas or licorice gouramis in the shallow water.

I have a current small setup using an exoterra tank now, the constant humidity level is usually 98-99%, i have a fan that i set to mimic a breeze periodically throughout the day, do you have any problems with humidity? is my humidity too high?
    I do not do any major treatment, just washing off the dirt with water. Boiling the branches is recommended but they are usually too big unless you have a bathtub to soak them in. Then I sit the branches outside and let them dry off completely for a few days so that any living organisms would die out. I am not too concerned about parasites, mold or algae. The vivarium should be as natural as possible but I do have springtails in my tank though.

I don't know how you get such high humidity, the average humidity in our climate is around 70%, unless you replace the top mesh of your exoterra with acrylic sheet. 98-99% is too high in my opinion, considering you already have a fan. I think you should double check if your instrument readings are correct.
    I usually mist my tanks once a day or once in two days whenever I remember, and mist more when I see the plants starting to get dried up.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    I do not do any major treatment, just washing off the dirt with water. Boiling the branches is recommended but they are usually too big unless you have a bathtub to soak them in. Then I sit the branches outside and let them dry off completely for a few days so that any living organisms would die out. I am not too concerned about parasites, mold or algae. The vivarium should be as natural as possible but I do have springtails in my tank though.

I don't know how you get such high humidity, the average humidity in our climate is around 70%, unless you replace the top mesh of your exoterra with acrylic sheet. 98-99% is too high in my opinion, considering you already have a fan. I think you should double check if your instrument readings are correct.
    I usually mist my tanks once a day or once in two days whenever I remember, and mist more when I see the plants starting to get dried up.

Hope this helps.

You are right, I replaced the top mesh with a plastic cover, heh. I see, will experiment with using different covers or increasing the fan duration, thanks so much for the advice!
    "something smells fishy."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    You are right, I replaced the top mesh with a plastic cover, heh. I see, will experiment with using different covers or increasing the fan duration, thanks so much for the advice!
    Trying adding more holes for ventilation, try to keep your humidity at 60-70% and you will be fine, too high would lead to mold growth and rotting plants.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345