Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lightbulb DIY Overflow box with DIY gravity filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

This idea of overflow is not new, it's how you siphon water from higher level to lower level using a hose.

WARNING: do not put the filter medium in the internal tank, realised the filter medium choked the over flow over time!
    Remove it and use the filter bag on the two big hose instead!

Previously I had tried using pipes to make complicated siphoning system which have hard to reset when bubbles find it's way into the pipes.

Now with the overflow box idea, you can reset the siphon like within a minute of sucking the air using the air tube from the middle of the hose.

This project takes some effort and materials to make.

Here's the materials I have on hand

1. - 01 x small fish fry external breeding plastic tank (which i hang inside)
    2. - 01 x big specimen fish tank (just make sure larger then the smaller tank)
    3. - cable ties
    4. - Soldering iron or electric drill to make holes for water to enter and tying the cable tie of both tanks.
    5. - Hose connector that connect two end of 1/2 inch garden hose (normally found in big supermarket)

For the connector, I make a large hole big enough to put the connector at the bottom and screw it back. But I drilled too large a hole so I used some aquarium friendly silicon glue to seal up both sides of the connector.

Bottom are a small section of hose and connect back to plastic pipes that I link down to the DIY filter sump system below the aquarium.

I know it's a lot to take in but that's how I did it.

I learn from another youtube video how to make it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3TbnMdfJsg

After the first video on the DIY overflow box, I discovered that the filter medium that I had placed in the internal tank had blocked the water from flowing in causing a gradual slow down of over flow which is pretty dangerous!!

So here is the modification to put a more porous filter medium instead and make a larger hole at the back of the internal tank.
    I had also added a 2 centimetres hard foam behind the external tank to level the internal tank.

Added 2 more hoses to a total of 4 hoses to increase the speed of siphoning so that there won't be any slow down of over flow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Overflow box with DIY gravity filter

I am new to the forum, and I had recently completed a DIY worm culture box. I am happy to share this.

Cheers!

IMG_20150913_145904_small.jpg
    IMG_20150913_145911_small.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice! That worm culture is to breed food for the fishes?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes been trying this to generate live feed.