Country
    Singapore

Long, stringy growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

The Monte Carlo in my tank is carpeting nicely. But there are long, stringy growth with fine leaves growing as well. Here's a macro picture

image.jpg

And here is a pic from further away:

image.jpg

Its really unsightly. What is it? And more importantly, how do I remove it?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Long, stringy growth

That is Utricularia gibba, commonly hitchhike in amongst other plants (especially carpet plants), most aquascapers usually consider it a pest weed.

Some info: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ils.php?id=268

Just have to manually remove it.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    That is Utricularia gibba, commonly hitchhike in amongst other plants (especially carpet plants), most aquascapers usually consider it a pest weed.

Just have to manually remove it.
    Thanks, UA....you said the words I feared most...manually remove it!!

The previous infestation was pretty severe, and I was afraid it would choke and overgrow the Monte Carlo.

I removed by shrimps, drained the tank (since it was all Monte Carlo) and let it be for 3 days, only keeping the MC moist by misting a few times daily. It cleared the Utricularia gibba, but it came back after two weeks. But only at the lowest portion of the tank. Perhaps the water level below the substrate was keeping it alive? Could I have (accidentally!!) figured a way to remove it, even if only partially?

But I just dont want to be doing this all the time!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by azman_haron View Post
    Thanks, UA....you said the words I feared most...manually remove it!!

The previous infestation was pretty severe, and I was afraid it would choke and overgrow the Monte Carlo.

I removed by shrimps, drained the tank (since it was all Monte Carlo) and let it be for 3 days, only keeping the MC moist by misting a few times daily. It cleared the Utricularia gibba, but it came back after two weeks. But only at the lowest portion of the tank. Perhaps the water level below the substrate was keeping it alive? Could I have (accidentally!!) figured a way to remove it, even if only partially?

But I just dont want to be doing this all the time!!!
    Well, its a very hardy plant so if just a tiny bit of it is still present amongst your other plants or inside the substrate or filter, it will grow again. Unlike algae, it cannot be treated using anti-algae methods. It will thrive when your plants thrive too.

The only way to make sure its eliminated is to totally reset your tank (throw out all the tank contents and restart with new substrate and plants) and this time make sure you closely inspect/quarantine all new plants before introducing them to your tank. Otherwise you will just have to constantly trim and remove them manually. Its basically like removing weeds in a garden.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The only way to make sure its eliminated is to totally reset your tank (throw out all the tank contents and restart with new substrate and plants) and this time make sure you closely inspect/quarantine all new plants before introducing them to your tank. Otherwise you will just have to constantly trim and remove them manually. Its basically like removing weeds in a garden.
    Wah...reset....money down the drain. Which would be a shame, because the tank is 90% carpetted and I love spending time looking at the RCS inside. And it'll take another 3-4 months for a new setup to get to that stage.

image.jpg

So this morning I tried manually removing it. Which is very difficult because it's very fine and pincers can't pinch them tightly enough. Then used my hands which is not ideal and I mostly break them, leaving the roots still in the substrate, which will eventually grow into an unsightly mess again. And it was very difficult work too!!

So the big question: To reset or not to reset? I'll sleep on it for a few days

Will buying Tropica brand of Monte Carlo (the type they keep in refrigerators in some LFS) be less likely to have such hitch hiker plants? Do they even have it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, the Tropica 1-2-Grow range of plants includes monte carlo too.

Those tissue-cultured plants are pest and algae free, and confirm will not have any other plants hitchhiking in them. They cost more though, but are a better and much cleaner alternative to LFS plants.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, the Tropica 1-2-Grow range of plants includes monte carlo too.

Those tissue-cultured plants are pest and algae free, and confirm will not have any other plants hitchhiking in them. They cost more though, but are a better and much cleaner alternative to LFS plants.
    Sorry to hi-jack

Hi UA, in another words, is it safe to skip the quarantine process (recommended by you in another post) if I purchase the plants directly from Tropica?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kaen130 View Post
    Sorry to hi-jack

Hi UA, in another words, is it safe to skip the quarantine process (recommended by you in another post) if I purchase the plants directly from Tropica?

Yes, if you buy those Tropica 1-2-Grow plants (the ones packaged in a sealed cup with nutrient gel), no need to do any treatment or quarantine at all... can just separate them into bunches and plant directly into your tank.

Btw, do try to wash away all of the nutrient gel from those plants before usage, otherwise any residual gel will tend to attract mold/fungus in the tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, if you buy those Tropica 1-2-Grow plants (the ones packaged in a sealed cup with nutrient gel), no need to do any treatment or quarantine at all... can just separate them into bunches and plant directly into your tank.

Btw, do try to wash away all of the nutrient gel from those plants before usage, otherwise any residual gel will tend to attract mold/fungus in the tank.
    Ok thanks!