Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Oh, my! The wood shrimp looked like a baby... or a desperate teenage male... How I wish I have the courage to try these gentle giants... I am so afraid I will end up killing them...
    why/how do you want to these GENTLE giants... erm... grill slowly with garlic and butter? ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jacquetlc, it is riccia... You can search for discussions on riccia in AQ and soon you will read why we would like to classify the floating plant as a pest.

I have a small handful to giveaway, you can try if you want to. Check my selling thread. Else, they are easily available in most LFS. C328, Nature and Colourful, for example, usually have them.

Anyway, I said I am afraid they might die on me... Not me wanting to eat them... Haha!...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Jacquetlc, it is riccia... You can search for discussions on riccia in AQ and soon you will read why we would like to classify the floating plant as a pest.
    This plant is truly a pest, I pull out of my tank a bucket full at the end of every month, this equates to 2 inch thick carpet that is peeled off the 4 by 1 foot hair grass plain.

The Riccia has to be removed as stifles the growth of the Hair Grass and it justs gets thicker and thicker. However when it pearling it does look good.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    This plant is truly a pest, I pull out of my tank a bucket full at the end of every month, this equates to 2 inch thick carpet that is peeled off the 4 by 1 foot hair grass plain.

The Riccia has to be removed as stifles the growth of the Hair Grass and it justs gets thicker and thicker. However when it pearling it does look good.
    Hahaha, Amano still uses it to attract newbies. From one little y shape in one month if left unchecked can grow palm size. It is a weed! How i wish my downoi would do the same!
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Moving /evolving, reduced the lighting by about 400W’s, just enjoying the Discus, anyway here is an update.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice scape, impressed! Your discus are so beautiful, adapting well in your tank.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    very nice discus... looking very happy in their beautiful home too
    may i know where you got the discus from? pm me price too
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Richietay & Mordrake,

I have had the discus [Leopard Snake Skin] about 5 months and they have grown considerably. They do like a place to hide / sleep and the 6 seemed to have formed 3 pairs as the tank is 30 inches tall they have some space to find their own private areas.

I got the discus at “Just Discus” Blk 11 Jalan Bukit Merah #01-4438. This shop has a very good selection and good advice. I asked for 3 pairs, and even though the fish were quite small the owner was reasonably sure he was choosing the right mix.

I have noticed that I did get a hair algae problem, possibly linked to volume of food I was feeding them, but for certain my cherry shrimp population was reduced. I have yet to see one of the discus eat a cherry shrimp, but sure they do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    beauties they are... err.. i think i have to run some errands at jalan bt merah
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rupert...so this is da tank you wanted to 'hide' from me eh? hehehe.....

Beautiful Discus tank...I love it!
    Formally known as EpiCentre in AQ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    OMG

amazing looking discus you got there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Rizal, next time you replenish my CO2 you will have to have a look at the tank.

Thanks Inimicus, Keeping Discus in a planted tank has been a bit of a challenge, I keep the water temp around 27C and most of my untold cherry shrimp have disappeared over the last year. I have also found that less rocks and plants allows the fish to find the beef heart easier. I believe that as the beef heart breaks up into untold small micro pieces that it facilitates BBA which is a bit annoying, but the fish are large now and a great site to see when I get home from work..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I had always wanted to keep discus in a planted tank...to see your tank with those beauties in it is definitely an inspiration. I'll have to ask for your advice when i start up a planted discus tank in the future. More photos PLEASE!! How do you keep the temp at 27? Fan?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice. It is good to see that your tank has evolved Rupert after these couple of years.

I have stopped doing planted since moving to the States, because my work involves too much traveling. But coming back to the AQ website really makes me want to do it again.

Hmm. Maybe when I go back to SG in a couple of years.

Anyway very nice discus in a very nice tank, something I have always wanted to do.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678