Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why's my tank not showing nitrate or nitrite ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why's my tank not showing nitrate or nitrite ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    As usual, UA is very helpful and knowledgeable ! THanks for your advice. Recently, i saw 3 of my chocolate gourami having a white spot on their body and i suspect it spread to my RAM too.
    Yeah, best to start treatment as soon as possible, it will take a while to completely treat it.

Btw, did you recently add any new fishes which may have introduced the parasites? Or did it just show up in your existing fishes all of a sudden?
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Ahhh thanks so much .i have just purchased some seachem paraguard, it looks GOOD stuff which treats a variety of ailments. ha ha hopefully this well do the trick. Thanks again

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Looks like a neon has it too on his nose :-(

Waiting for the new medicine, seachem proguard to be delivered , ahhh can't come soon enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes i added 3 SAE and 3 otos. Now my RAM also have this white spot. But they are behaving normal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes i added 3 SAE and 3 otos. Now my RAM also have this white spot. But they are behaving normal.
    Yeah, sometimes certain fishes may not show the white spot symptoms but are carriers of the parasites in their gills... sometimes free-swimming tomites might even just accidentally get transferred over in the LFS bag water too. Either way just have to do treatment to solve it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, sometimes certain fishes may not show the white spot symptoms but are carriers of the parasites in their gills... sometimes free-swimming tomites might even just accidentally get transferred over in the LFS bag water too. Either way just have to do treatment to solve it.
    Went to seaview during the weekend and Paraguard is out of stock !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Update: still waiting on seachem proguard . So I tried waterlife white spot and fungus treatment . Within a couple of hours the betta fish had orange stuff coming out of his gills I think? He wasn't resting in his usual spot. He Seems a bit better now, 4 days on . Was this the white spot STILL hiding in his gills??? So weird he seemed alright till I put the treatment in, but obviously that orange stuff was meant to come out and the treatment helped???

The catfish has died in day 4 of the treatment :-(

Still to treat again on Thursday.

No new fish have been added. I had previously WELL treated the tank with interpet white spot, and interpet bacterial treatment .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The ich parasite is actually invisible to our eyes, the white spot is the outer skin reaction to the ich parasite by the fish's immune system which encase it in a white casing.

The orange stuff coming out of the betta gills could be infected fungus/slime/discharge (ie. pus) from reaction with the medications, not sure exactly though. I guess you'll just have to keep an eye on its condition and see if it improves over the next few days.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fish with disease is really 'very headache'. Recently my goldfish had two sores on the tail. I held it and dabbed the sores with concentrated salt solution on a cottonwool-wrapped stick. Luckily for me the sores healed after one repeat treatment. If that did not work, I will not know what to do.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This morning i saw my chocolate gourami and other infected fishes. It seem like the white spot is fading away without any medication !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This morning i saw my chocolate gourami and other infected fishes. It seem like the white spot is fading away without any medication !
    That means your tank water is good and is helpful for recovery.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Note that if you see the fishes gradually have no more white spots without treatment, it could mean that white spots fell off the fishes and now developing as eggs stage in the substrate, after a few days they will hatch into thousands of free swimming form and could re-infect the fishes again. Its a repeating cycle. Do read up on the life-cycle of the ich parasites to get a better idea of their reproduction process.

Its possible that the fishes are not stressed anymore and can improve their immune system to a level which can ward off the newly hatched batch of parasites so the effects may not as noticeable, but if the tank was untreated the parasites can still be present in small numbers hidden inside the fishes gills. It could flare up again anytime when the fishes undergo new stress or if their immune system are somehow reduced.

Hence do still try to get white spot treatment to kill off all residual ich parasites once and for all, otherwise they will still be lurking amongst the fishes and pop up again when new fishes are introduced (thats how some people get parasite-free fishes from LFS then wonder why those same fishes still get white spot, and it becomes a persistent problem, because its actually from their existing fishes which were not treated and still infected).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wa. After listening to your advice. I brought the paraguard. Just doze 5ml and hopefully it can cure soon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wa. After listening to your advice. I brought the paraguard. Just doze 5ml and hopefully it can cure soon.
    Just go through the daily dosage regimen... once all the white spots are gone, continue dosing for at least another 1 week more to complete the treatment.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Proguard has arrived, going to do a big water change first .

I'll clean the gravel a little too.

Thanks for for all the help

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I lose one chocolate gourami the head and body full of white spot. Even with paraguard also can't save it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I lose one chocolate gourami the head and body full of white spot. Even with paraguard also can't save it.
    Yeah, those parasites that are still residing inside the infected fishes are less affected by the medication, so it all depends on the immune system and health of the individual fish. Those weaker ones that encounter stronger outbreaks tend to have much lower chance of survival and are often beyond saving.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

After a few day of dosing paraguard, most of my fishes white spot seem like fading off. But i notice that my tank PH has dropped from PH6.0 ~PH5.0??

Will paraguard buffer the PH??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

After a few day of dosing paraguard, most of my fishes white spot seem like fading off. But i notice that my tank PH has dropped from PH6.0 ~PH5.0??

Wa, that may not be good. If the water becomes more acidic, the snails in your tank, if any, will suffer, as their shells will be eaten away fast. One thing about using chemicals is many are good but there are also side effects.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So far i haven't encountered Paraguard affecting the pH in my tanks. Maybe it could be other causes.

There might also be a possibility the treatment is killing alot of the parasites in the tank so the mass critter die out could be generating extra acidifying effect from the cycle.

I guess you'll just have to monitor the livestock and maybe do additional water changes in case there are spikes in parameters.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 3rd Dec 2015 at 12:58.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast