Country
    Singapore

Re: Where to buy Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    Alright so the fish is no longer at the surface but it's still tilted... Anyone knows why?
    And should I take it out just in case it's a disease or something?

Attachment 50819
    If the fish is swimming tilted then most likely its a swim bladder issue... or could be due to a bunch of other issues too. The fish in your photo does look skinnier than the others though, so could be internal parasites or illness.

I guess you could transfer it to a hospital tank to try treating it and prevent any possible infection spreading.

Btw, i was at Arowana Avenue today and saw their dwarf rainbow fish tank. Noticed the water was stinky and alot of the fishes were in bad condition with some even had visible sores and cysts, along with a few dead ones were just left decomposing in the tank too. So i guess the fishes you bought from that tank probably aren't the healthiest from the start.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Swim bladder? Hmmm I see. Anything I can do about the one that I've isolated..?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Swim bladder? Hmmm I see. Anything I can do about the one that I've isolated..?
    If its swim bladder issue, some people say just don't feed for a few days or feed unshelled pea (which is abit tricky to do), clean water conditions usually help them recover on their own too... but if its some other internal parasite or infection then have to watch for indications and treat with the corresponding medication.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does neon dwarf rainbowfish gets a curved spine?? Cuz I notice it's spine is starting to curve... Anything I can do??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Does neon dwarf rainbowfish gets a curved spine?? Cuz I notice it's spine is starting to curve... Anything I can do??
    Sounds like a genetic/growth issue or perhaps illness causing physical deformity to appear (ie. Fish Tuberculosis). I guess not much you can do... either just leave it be or cull it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That's so sadddddddddd...
    But is there any reason why it happened?
    Like how can I prevent it from happening again?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That's so sadddddddddd...
    But is there any reason why it happened?
    Like how can I prevent it from happening again?
    If its birth deformity then just a matter of picking healthier fishes... if its due to illness, then just have to check all new fishes closely before purchase (along with the overall tank conditions they are kept in at the LFS) and quarantine/treat the fishes before introduction into your main tank.

Like i mentioned in my earlier post, the tank conditions i saw those fishes living in at the LFS you bought from was really poor, that would greatly increase the chances of the fishes spreading infections and succumbing easily to illness, especially in a tank that is still cycling.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 18th Oct 2015 at 20:17.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The dwarf neon rainbowfish died last night...
    I'm not gonna buy anymore of them if they keep dying off like that

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm sorry about your lost Ryan. The first few fishes are always the hardest. My worst lost happened to a little precious scarlet badis which got crushed on its second day while I was doing tank maintenance.

The best thing about this hobby is learning what happened and reminding ourselves how to prevent another unwanted death.

Keep us updated on your tank conditions ya.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I added more gravels today and added a new driftwood! Which led me to digging up shrimp carcasses...
    The ammonia in my tank from the shrimp carcasses were probably the reason my neon dwarf rainbowfish were dying...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys! I think I sort of figured out the problem with my neon dwarf rainbowfish...
    The one swimming at the surface isn't suffering from too much ammonia.. Cuz I actually transferred all my rainbowfishes out from the bigger tank into my nano tank thinking I can keep the water cleaner for them.. But apparently the ammonia level was higher in the nano tank after I tested.

I'm now thinking could it be that there isn't enough flow rate in the tank? Because the water only flows down at the left corner of the tank so that's where the bubbling are while the right side of the tank doesn't have much movements (although that's where the water overflows into the sump)

Could it be that there's a lack of flow and causing the water to not be properly oxygenated??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You could run an airstone to increase surface agitation and improve oxygenation, see if it helps... though its abit odd that oxygen levels in such a large tank volume could be depleted so quickly by just those few fishes. Either way its always better to generate more oxygenation rather than less.

Since its only one of the fishes showing such behavior, it'll be tough to draw much conclusions from it. If its really lack of oxygen, then all the other fishes will also be hanging out at the surface too.

Like what i mentioned earlier, it may not be due to your current tank issue, it could be due to the fish gills already being damaged in the LFS tank due to high ammonia levels in the retail tank, so its already weakened even before you even bought it. I guess the best you can do now is to maintain clean water conditions and hope it can eventually recover on its own.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh right......LOL okay I think I just made myself sound dumb for a moment...

I'm just trying really hard to find out what's wrong with that one neon dwarf rainbow hanging at the surface and the 3 that died before it... SIGH
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445438062.883781.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, i would also be concerned seeing a fish constantly swimming at the water surface too. Try running an airstone and see if that improves the situation.

Anyways, you are not alone on this, i have also had my fair share of bringing home weak or sick fishes and having to find ways and means to try to cure them. Its all part of the learning experience.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually the other neon dwarf rainbows swim constantly swims around the area that the sump flows into the tank (where there is bubbling)

How would an air stone work? Is that something I connect to an air pump?

Or is it better if I get a wave maker?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, an air stone system basically consists of an air pump + silicon air hose + air stone. Place the air stone in the tank and the fine air bubbles coming out will create additional water agitation to improve surface gas exchange.

Wave makers could help too, if you direct it to push water towards the top of the tank it can also generate surface agitation. Do note that small fishes and shrimps may get drawn into the wave maker impellers though, so you might need to factor that in.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh damn okay I think I'll just get an air stone!
    Do they come in a package? And how long are the air hoses?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh damn okay I think I'll just get an air stone!
    Do they come in a package? And how long are the air hoses?
    Most LFS sell all the parts separately, just mix and match them.

Silicon air hose are usually packaged in large rolls. Buy a few meters of it and cut to the length you need for installation (they are cheap anyways, can keep the extra hose as spares).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Alright!! Hopefully that would help
    Thanks again UA!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it possible that dwarf neon rainbowfish need more oxygen in the water than my corydoras..?
    Another one died this morning and the other 2 are gasping at the surface while my corydoras are still at the bottom scavenging for food

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast