Country
    Singapore

Re: Where to buy Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    Is it possible that dwarf neon rainbowfish need more oxygen in the water than my corydoras..?
    Another one died this morning and the other 2 are gasping at the surface while my corydoras are still at the bottom scavenging for food
    Its a possibility... corydoras can actually swim to the water surface and take gulps of air to store and use (they hold the air in their stomachs and the oxygen dissipates through the thin lining), thats how they can survive in lower oxygen environments.

If your 2 other rainbow fishes are gasping at the surface, then quickly run an air stone to improve oxygenation in the tank.

I still do find it abit odd that just 2-3 rainbow fish would encounter oxygen issues in a large volume 4ft tank (if thats really the case, then your tank setup will really need some adjustments to ensure sufficient oxygenation, especially since you plan to add even more fishes in the future), maybe also check your tanks ammonia and nitrite levels again just to make sure its not due to spikes in those parameters.

Btw, do you have any photos or video of the sump filtration and also the overflow section and the ouflow pipe? Just curious to see how how its setup and the possible tweaks that could be done.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm alright I'll take a photo or a video of the entire water flow system when I'm free!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

And here's a photo of the newly added air strip!!
    It's effective and it's pretty
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445522954.321183.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Alright it's been a couple of hours but why is my neon dwarf rainbow still at the surface

Also, I tested my ammonia and it's around 0-0.25ppm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well looks like oxygen wasn't the issue...
    Another one died this morning and the one at the surface is still at the surface. THATS 5 DEAD OF THE 6 I BOUGHT

Is it cuz of ammonia??? Is 0.25ppm too much for them??
    When I bought them from Arowana avenue, they still look rather lively and active. Why is it that they are only dying and swimming at the surface in my tank...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Best to still run the air stone just in case. Btw, you can also run the air stone or air strip inside the sump tank too.

Seems like it could just be weak fishes that couldn't survive the transition, sometimes that happens. I have bought tetras from one LFS which died within a short time and then bought tetras from another LFS which lived on for the next 2+ years (both in the same tank conditions), so it could also be a batch issue.

As for your ammonia levels, you can do more frequent and larger water changes to help reduce it. Adding more fast growing plants or floating plants will also help to consume it too.

Do also check if your tap water itself has ammonia content too, because some place may exhibit this effect (especially those buildings with older water pipes and water tanks).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just an update! My last dwarf neon rainbowfish has recovered and it's no longer Swimming at the surface!
    It's swimming around the rest of the angelfishes that I have!
    Looking to get more soon if not the fish look so sad being alone. But I'm still trying to find where has good quality neon rainbows... If y'all know where can find please let me know!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Recently I saw some at Bishan Aquarium. Best to call and confirm before going there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm LFS hopping now HAHA from Y618 down the red line to Toa Payoh. So might as well take a look there!
    Thanks btw!! Almost missed Bishan in my plan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Whoa amazing. I bought 5 neon rainbows today from Bishan Aquarium. They may not have the cleanest looking aquarium but their Neon dwarf rainbows were only $1 each!!! Let's hope they don't die this time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123