Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Noobie piping dimension question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi seniors, please help with a noobie question i have..

Background
    Items ordered at a LFS, not yet received

- 4 feet tank
    - Hailea HS-66A
    - Eheim Classic 600 (Will be doing the external sensor)
    - Eheim Double Tap 12/16mm x 2
    - Eheim Double Tap 16/22mm x 1
    - Lily Pipe Inlet 17mm
    - ANS Lily Pipe Outlet 13mm

Piping Dimension
    HS-66A in/out uses 16/19mm piping
    Eheim flow 16/22, outflow 12/16

Setup
    Tank ---- > Pump ----- > Chiller ----- > Tank

Problem (I intend to get clear piping to connect to my in/outlet)
    My problem is how do i match up the piping dimension between the Chiller 16/19mm piping to my lily outlet of 13mm, like what dimension for the clear pipe i should get ?
    And i do i match up the piping dimension between the Eheim 16/22mm piping to my Lily inlet of 17mm ?
    And i understand the double tap is for maintenance purpose for cleaning the filter, how do i add to the setup ?

Actually the LFS owner explained the set up to me, was in a hurry, thus still lost...

Best regards! Please help !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Noobie piping dimension question

Quote Originally Posted by maverickd View Post
    My problem is how do i match up the piping dimension between the Chiller 16/19mm piping to my lily outlet of 13mm, like what dimension for the clear pipe i should get ?
    You'll just need to use a magical item called a hose reducer... it looks something like this:

Photo from Google Images.

You can usually buy such hose reduces from most LFS. Get the ones with lock nuts for a more secure connection. You will need to get a set of 16/22 clear hose and a set of 12/16 clear hose.

And i do i match up the piping dimension between the Eheim 16/22mm piping to my Lily inlet of 17mm ?
    The 16/22 hose will fit your 17mm lily pipe inflow/inlet.

And i understand the double tap is for maintenance purpose for cleaning the filter, how do i add to the setup ?
    17mm Lily Pipe Inflow/Inlet --> 16/22 double tap --> Eheim Classic 600 Canister Filter --> 12/16-to-16/22 Hose reducer --> 16/22 double tap --> Hailea HS-66A Chiller --> 16/22-to-12/16 Hose reducer --> 12/16 double tap --> 13mm Lily Pipe Outflow

Each set of double taps will be installed along each hose section (anywhere along each hose is fine), they make disconnecting all the hoses much easier for maintenance.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 18th Oct 2015 at 23:54.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Urban Aquaria for the help !!! Cant wait for the delivery of my tank now !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, just borrowing this thread to ask a related question. If my setup is 16/22 for a 3 feet tank, will there be a problem to convert the inlet outlet to 12/16 size to cater to smaller lily pipes? Is it a bad idea to use smaller lily pipes for the planted tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No problem just that your flowrate will decrease by 1/4 to 1/2.

In the long run, some of the hobbyist mention it will damage the motor of the filter. While some hobbyist mention it will not.

As my tank is desktop tank, i have modified my inlet and outlet pipe from 12/16 to 9/12. The flowrate dropped significantly. I have also tried switching back to 12/16 to test the functionality but till date, it is still working fine. Running for 3 years

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk