Images
    Country
    Singapore

undescribed danionin from Burma - Danio sp. 'TW01'

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    well seeing I've been made mod in this forum, threathened with bodily harm, and pressurised by a little budak, looks like no choice gotta work hard liaoz

OK folks, you saw it here first on Aquatic Quotient… an undescribed danionin from Gwa Township, Rakhine State, Myanmar…

Last edited by hwchoy; 25th Mar 2005 at 02:56.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not very colourful leh.... but the spot on the caudal peduncle looks unique (don't recall other danios having that). it has two whiskers also??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yah, one pair barbel hence Danio instead of Devario. Colour is gold/beige with a hint of greenish over the dorsal and blue-grey on flank

possibly allied with Danio feegradei which also have a caudal spot.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 30th Mar 2005 at 01:02.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    feegradei x chopre??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    unlikely, D. feegradei is from Western Burma (also Rakhine State) whereas D. choprai is (I think) from the Indawgyi Lake in the northern Shan State.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi CHoy,

Do you happened to have that in your tank?

Regards
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very subtle colors. But definitely a nice fish to watch in the tank. Am I to assume that when the fish swims, the body color also changes with the light reflected?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackytpt
    Hi CHoy,

Do you happened to have that in your tank?

Regards
    Nicholas
    Yes Nicholas got 3 of them. They're about 4-5cm total length. Soon they will sacrifice for science and be preserved

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Very subtle colors. But definitely a nice fish to watch in the tank. Am I to assume that when the fish swims, the body color also changes with the light reflected?

Cheers,
    benny, definitely a good looking schooling fish for the bright planted tank. they don't shimmer as much like Barilius though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Yes Nicholas got 3 of them. They're about 4-5cm total length. Soon they will sacrifice for science and be preserved
    Was wondering where you always get all these nice fishes.
    I just got some kobutai in my tank. Nice green fishes. I believe you should have them in your tank or your picture collection

Regards
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha, from a fish collector I met in Yangon. He exports to QH but these special ones may not have enough volume for export.

I got some kubotai in the same shipment as well although they look exactly like the ones you find in LFS. the only thing about the specimens in this shipment is we know exactly where they are collected.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    who going to describe them? Kelvin? HH? Mr Tree??
    Last edited by budak; 25th Mar 2005 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dunno, HH only interested in ngeowhee, Kelvin I think he busy with other things. Who's Mr Fish?

Anyway I'm sending the specimens to FF, so she might find time to describe them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Choy ah Choy...

i will personally hand carry back all my costa rican fish for you to take pictures... or bring them to your house..lol..whichever you prefer..or if you welcom..hahaha.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    Choy ah Choy...

i will personally hand carry back all my costa rican fish for you to take pictures... or bring them to your house..lol..whichever you prefer..or if you welcom..hahaha.
    really anot!? don't make me gian only OK?

haha, costa rica maybe a bit far to carry fish back alive, but heck, never try never know

what I did was to use those 1.5litre mineral water bottles to put the fishes and whatever water that is best for them. fill the bottle to ¾ so they don't slosh around too much. you can cut a bottle top to use as a funnel to help get the fish through the narrow opening. in this way you can put them in your check-in luggage without worrying about bursting and spilling.

what fishes are interesting in costa rica? livebearers and killies?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    everything i bring back will be dead though...well..except for the fishies...Don't know whats exactly there...going with a friend to some rivers and hikes...but i'm bringing my hip-waders cos i'm collecting aquatic insects as well...might as well catch fish right?? lol... will let you know la.. see what comes into the net...or into my traps..heehee..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fine fine bring the insects back dead just keep the fishies alive well try the mineral bottle method, good if you have those oyster suitcase. you can legally carry about 3 bottles each. otherwise handcarry also can but tiring woh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah!! Costa Rica!! Don't forget to take lots of pictures and share with us!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Costa Rica has some endemic cichlids, killifish and livebearers as well.

Its well worth a try to collect some of these rarely seen fish, especially the livebearers.

In true fact most of the livebearer enthusiasts are in Europe and America. Sadly, most of us here view them as "longkang" fish not worthy of more attention.

One will find some seldom to rarely seen Rivulus species of killifish in that country, including Profundulus which is also rarely to impossible to find in the hobby.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy, you're lucky to know that collector from Myanmar. The trade in their fish is somewhat controlled by the government. Most Myanmar fish are shipped via Thailand and are usually those from the border areas close to Thailand.

Getting something from Rakhine state is quite rare so to speak and in this case I'd say it was a precious opportunity to obtain the danionins.

Apart from that it would be wise to try and spawn these and not just take photos of them. In fact a series of breeding photos and fry development stages recorded in a series of photos will be helpful in any eventual description of this still-unknown (until otherwise proven) species.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast