Country
    Singapore

Re: 6ft Monster Fish Aquascape

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by azman_haron View Post
    It's great to be able to move things around just to get the perfect scape. I have gone through 4-5 major changes in my own 4 ft tank. That's the advantage of having plants mostly tied to wood and rocks!!!

The driftwood on the right frames the plants in the background very nicely in the last picture. It gives the illusion of depth.

The driftwood on the left however cuts in front of the plants and doesn't complement the right side. But this is an easy correction to make...just rotate the wood such that the longest branch doesn't do that!!

The more I follow this post, the more I am tempted to set up my 5 ft tank similarly to yours!!!! Are the fishes in there low maintenance, in terms of time and money?
    Hahah thank you...! I will try rotating the wood but it's several pcs - 2 are floaty so quite tricky haha... You meant rotate so the branch comes outwards and not further deeper in right?

Do set up your 5ft! I will be so excited to see haha.. My fishes are currently:
    - 22inch Silver Arowana (the Alpha of the tank)
    - 10inch XB Arowana
    - 7inch IT
    - 3inch IT
    - 3 Blue Angels
    - 1 puffer

Aside from the Angels that takes pellets, the rest are on MP (market prawn - 1KG for $10 and last for a month for me)

To me plants are a natural filter so I do a water change prob once every 2 weeks or so.
    I run an OHF and a Sump. Though my current media isn't that good.

They are not hard to maintain in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

6ft Monster Fish Aquascape

Update of the progression of my tank:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The bogwood might take out an eye or two. Try keeping the swimming area clear for the aros.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    The bogwood might take out an eye or two. Try keeping the swimming area clear for the aros.
    I believe as long as there are few aggressive fish its ok?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimplicity View Post

Haha a quick update. Got 2 Virgin Red Discus (: but I'm wary of the Indo Tiger being territorial and all...

I actually don't have worries about branches.. I haven't have any problems still now haha (cross fingers)

Aggression is here and there. But they seem to know how to avoid the branches.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tank just gets better and better!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sharing my pets

Last edited by Johnenrui; 13th Nov 2015 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by azman_haron View Post
    It's great to be able to move things around just to get the perfect scape. I have gone through 4-5 major changes in my own 4 ft tank. That's the advantage of having plants mostly tied to wood and rocks!!!

The driftwood on the right frames the plants in the background very nicely in the last picture. It gives the illusion of depth.

The driftwood on the left however cuts in front of the plants and doesn't complement the right side. But this is an easy correction to make...just rotate the wood such that the longest branch doesn't do that!!

The more I follow this post, the more I am tempted to set up my 5 ft tank similarly to yours!!!! Are the fishes in there low maintenance, in terms of time and money?
    I finally put it into action and did some arrangement of the wood after finding most of them sinking already. How do you find this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimplicity View Post
    Not only that, but it prevents serious injury if and when the fish does a sudden dash such as when scared by something. Such moves are often wild and can easily cause the loss of an eye or two.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Especially at night if it gets spooked by something moving around the tank in the dark. Experienced it before. Point the branches downward and create it like it's some form of root branches.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha thanks everyone. Update: I shifted the wood on the right after receiving comments.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448010482.944059.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha converted to a discus arowana planted setup:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Looking good there. Major transformation from the first pics.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    Looking good there. Major transformation form the first pics.
    HAHA you found me!! thanks thanks..
    i just updated with some new photos... my camera is really bad though :/ iphone haha....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

LOL... not hard, since you provided the link. The silver arowana has been removed? Or hidden somewhere?

It's not the camera. It's the lighting. For sharper photos, brighter lights are needed. For my own tank, I need at least 4 rows of T5HOs. Then set the camera to sports mode.

A "cheat" is to lower the exposure (thus trick your phone to take the image "faster") then use Photoshop or similar to brighten.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

LOL... not hard, since you provided the link. The silver arowana has been removed? Or hidden somewhere?

It's not the camera. It's the lighting. For sharper photos, brighter lights are needed. For my own tank, I need at least 4 rows of T5HOs. Then set the camera to sports mode.

A "cheat" is to lower the exposure (thus trick your phone to take the image "faster") then use Photoshop or similar to brighten.
    Haha... That's one question I wanted to ask.
    What lighting you use? T5HOs? Hahah I have like multiple LED strips.. Haha really quite a few until I have no more space at the top of the tank.. To penetrate the 2.5ft depth. Was thinking of switching to LED floodlights. haha any comments?

And my iPhone doesn't have "sports mode" haha. Maybe it's an android thing :/
    The iPhone camera doesn't capture the details of the plants haha.. Makes it a blurry splat of green. And the details of the wood lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I started with 8 x 3ft T5HO arranged as four rows. I reduced it to 4 x 3ft T5HO a few months ago. I read up on LEDs before deciding on T5HOs. Seems that LEDs are not really good at penetrating depth. One experienced planter told me that when he gets enough LEDs to reach the bottom, the top is too bright and algae grows on the top plants.

The hobby's thinking about lighting has changed in the last few years. My feel, after reading up, is that the old standard to grow light demanding plants has been brought down by about a 1/3.

If your plants are doing ok, I feel no need to make your lights brighter (except temporarily for photography).

My own thoughts on large tanks is to use less light demanding plants for the foreground and midground. The background plants can be light demanding as they will grow tall enough.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I started with 8 x 3ft T5HO arranged as four rows. I reduced it to 4 x 3ft T5HO a few months ago. I read up on LEDs before deciding on T5HOs. Seems that LEDs are not really good at penetrating depth. One experienced planter told me that when he gets enough LEDs to reach the bottom, the top is too bright and algae grows on the top plants.

The hobby's thinking about lighting has changed in the last few years. My feel, after reading up, is that the old standard to grow light demanding plants has been brought down by about a 1/3.

If your plants are doing ok, I feel no need to make your lights brighter (except temporarily for photography).

My own thoughts on large tanks is to use less light demanding plants for the foreground and midground. The background plants can be light demanding as they will grow tall enough.
    Hahaha I've not tried t5ho before but maybe in the future I will for a new tank project.
    Currently lighting seems adequate but truth be told I know I cannot grow carpet plants with this.
    Also I think the acrylic cover (to prevent arowana from jumping) does sieve some light from passing through.
    Do you have a cover yourself?

One more thing is do you have any suggestions or ideas what I can do to fill up the upper half of the tank with plants? Currently the bottom half is heavily planted, and top is just empty.
    I thought of moss wall, but other suggestions? Haha.
    Will tying narrow leaves ferns on the top wood be nice?

Oh and i totally agree with the mid and foreground plants being less light demanding.
    I put my crypts, anubias, ferns and shorter less light demanding plants in front. And the red stem plants behind haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I loved that fish but my tank was getting too narrow for it. I traded it with a friend for some of his discus haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast