Country
    Singapore

Re: 6ft Monster Fish Aquascape

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnenrui View Post
    Hahaha I've not tried t5ho before but maybe in the future I will for a new tank project.
    Currently lighting seems adequate but truth be told I know I cannot grow carpet plants with this.
    Also I think the acrylic cover (to prevent arowana from jumping) does sieve some light from passing through.
    Do you have a cover yourself?

One more thing is do you have any suggestions or ideas what I can do to fill up the upper half of the tank with plants? Currently the bottom half is heavily planted, and top is just empty.
    I thought of moss wall, but other suggestions? Haha.
    Will tying narrow leaves ferns on the top wood be nice?

Oh and i totally agree with the mid and foreground plants being less light demanding.
    I put my crypts, anubias, ferns and shorter less light demanding plants in front. And the red stem plants behind haha
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, give carpet plants a try. No harm trying Staurogyne repens or Hygrophila araguaia. I have both of these growing at foreground depth with my current lighting. H. araguaia surprised me. It is slow, but growing in a less lighted corner of the tank.

For covers, I use 1mm gauge, 25mm spacing stainless steel mesh. Can get at the mesh shop at Blk 30, Kelantan Road or their other shop at the main road (Jalan Besar). Allows heat to escape and air to circulate, hardly blocks light. But lightweight so needs to be secured or weighed down. I'm securing it under the sump return pipe and Gear Tie. I'll post photos later. 1mm Gauge is just right for stiffness (does not sag) and flexibilty (easy to flatten or bend). You'll need a good pair of wire cutters and pliers.

For top, get really tall and narrow plants. Narrow to avoid taking up too much top swimming space. C. balansae? Maybe one of the flowy Crinums or Aponogetons. i toyed with the idea of tying long wood along the back top half and just grow epiphytic plants like Java fern, moss, etc on them. Like river side exposed roots.

Java fern at the right spot will be nice. I'm sure you've seen photos of Amano's giant personal tank right?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

wow.nice tanks. And a cute puffer inside.

May i know how is your Water change regime? What you feeding them?
    I read discus need daily change and beef heart and stuff.

Once again, amazing habitat you setup for you happy fishes.

Actually ,I am wondering if my current tank will be too shallow? My current tank is a planted 3 x 1 x 1.2 now
    I read alot says need a higher tank and should use sand as base or bare bottom which i feel is too boring.

Thinking of changing projects to a small discus tank with 2-4 of them with a bit of schooling fishes.

Don't know can i continue to use the my 4cm substrate carpeted with Monte and dwarf hair grass or will i need to strip everything down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

6ft Monster Fish Aquascape

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    Actually, give carpet plants a try. No harm trying Staurogyne repens or Hygrophila araguaia. I have both of these growing at foreground depth with my current lighting. H. araguaia surprised me. It is slow, but growing in a less lighted corner of the tank.

For covers, I use 1mm gauge, 25mm spacing stainless steel mesh. Can get at the mesh shop at Blk 30, Kelantan Road or their other shop at the main road (Jalan Besar). Allows heat to escape and air to circulate, hardly blocks light. But lightweight so needs to be secured or weighed down. I'm securing it under the sump return pipe and Gear Tie. I'll post photos later. 1mm Gauge is just right for stiffness (does not sag) and flexibilty (easy to flatten or bend). You'll need a good pair of wire cutters and pliers.

For top, get really tall and narrow plants. Narrow to avoid taking up too much top swimming space. C. balansae? Maybe one of the flowy Crinums or Aponogetons. i toyed with the idea of tying long wood along the back top half and just grow epiphytic plants like Java fern, moss, etc on them. Like river side exposed roots.

Java fern at the right spot will be nice. I'm sure you've seen photos of Amano's giant personal tank right?
    Hehe sorry for the late reply. Am in the midst of taking my bar exams haha!
    I took your advice and planted in some glosso HAHAH. Just to try out and surprisingly it is not dying lol.
    But instead if carpeting it is growing upwards.

I have s. Repens in there.. Old leaves are browning though. New leaves growing haha. Slowly.

Some updates. Added some crypt-like plants... Bought my first wild green discus..
    Trying out a albino tinfoil barb as a playmate for the arowana lol.

Shortly after, the wild green is in a tank of its own but build its immune system and train on pellets.

Anw I'm currently using acrylic transparent covers.. Do you think it's good?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Crypt like plants? You mean the purplish plant in the bottom right of the photo with the discus? That looks like Lobelia to me. One of my favourites. They'll lose those purple leaves and grow bright green aquatic leaves. Nice for mid ground or even foreground for deep tanks like this one.

Where do you buy your plants?

I used to cover my newt tanks with acrylic or glass covers. Whenever I open them after the lights are on for a few hours, there's warm humid air inside. My guess is that the trapped heat will either transfer to the water or at least make it harder for the water to cool down. I opted for the wire mesh for planted tanks to allow air circulation and use of fans for cooling the water. I think it will block less light then acrylic or glass. Might be negligible to the naked eye though. In the long run, acrylic will craze and dried water splashes will leave limescale which will definitely block some of your light. Its hard to clean off limescale without scratching.

Here's the photo of my covers.

Front edge secured with Gear Tie. Can find at Home Fix. The rear edge is tucked under the return pipe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

6ft Monster Fish Aquascape

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    Crypt like plants? You mean the purplish plant in the bottom right of the photo with the discus? That looks like Lobelia to me. One of my favourites. They'll lose those purple leaves and grow bright green aquatic leaves. Nice for mid ground or even foreground for deep tanks like this one.

Where do you buy your plants?

I used to cover my newt tanks with acrylic or glass covers. Whenever I open them after the lights are on for a few hours, there's warm humid air inside. My guess is that the trapped heat will either transfer to the water or at least make it harder for the water to cool down. I opted for the wire mesh for planted tanks to allow air circulation and use of fans for cooling the water. I think it will block less light then acrylic or glass. Might be negligible to the naked eye though. In the long run, acrylic will craze and dried water splashes will leave limescale which will definitely block some of your light. Its hard to clean off limescale without scratching.

Here's the photo of my covers.

Front edge secured with Gear Tie. Can find at Home Fix. The rear edge is tucked under the return pipe.
    Haha unfortunately my arowana has become very territorial to my discus. Causing all 14 to be in hiding.
    Adding 2 big Golden TFB did not help too. Both went cowering in fear.
    I currently removed the arowana for the time being so that I can somewhat demolish its territorial mindset.

I have not decided when to reintroduce it.

Yes it is lobelia! Bought it from the auntie shop at c328. The new leaves are bright green as you side. In fact they grow very fast. Some parts of the plant has melted from submerged to emersed I guess.

I've remove the acrylic covers since I no longer need them without the arowana in the tank haha...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post
    wow.nice tanks. And a cute puffer inside.

May i know how is your Water change regime? What you feeding them?
    I read discus need daily change and beef heart and stuff.

Once again, amazing habitat you setup for you happy fishes.

Actually ,I am wondering if my current tank will be too shallow? My current tank is a planted 3 x 1 x 1.2 now
    I read alot says need a higher tank and should use sand as base or bare bottom which i feel is too boring.

Thinking of changing projects to a small discus tank with 2-4 of them with a bit of schooling fishes.

Don't know can i continue to use the my 4cm substrate carpeted with Monte and dwarf hair grass or will i need to strip everything down.
    Sorry for the late reply! I missed out amidst my examinations haha.
    I do a water change about once a week, 40%.
    I feed the discus blood worms, pellets, brine shrimp!

Yes discus like angelfish will be better off with a tall tank. They do swim everywhere with adequate space.
    However with your tank size you could probably start off with a small group of Juvie discus (2-3 inches). They take a while to grow big and you can source for a bigger tank then. They are not too fussy with size.

I also find BB tanks too boring! You could definitely find some good using white sand or bright sand (which I'm using)

If you already have a carpet in there I don't see why you need to strip it down. Yes discus do like to forage for food and they might pull out plants but if your carpet is well establish I don't see a problem!
    Further most domestic discus are well trained to eat from the surface haha.

Hi there your photos are fantastic can i use your photos in my youtube channel thks in advance

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by WorldAquariumSingapore View Post
    Hi there your photos are fantastic can i use your photos in my youtube channel thks in advance
    Of course, you may. What is your youtube channel?

Of course, you may. What is your youtube channel?
    Thanks bro
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJN...55DS6weEAbsg1w
    Visit my new Aquarium youtube channel "World Aquarium Singapore" & have fun cheers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJN0C8MOr55DS6weEAbsg1w

Quote Originally Posted by WorldAquariumSingapore View Post
    Do subscribe to my new channel and cheers thks in adv, i current have a 4ft discus tank as well with plants but your tank is solid WoWW beautiful
    Visit my new Aquarium youtube channel "World Aquarium Singapore" & have fun cheers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJN0C8MOr55DS6weEAbsg1w

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Johnenrui, any updates?

Sent using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123