Images
    Country
    Singapore

DSM HC experiment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, been probing around forums and gathering information here and there and it made my hands itchy... So I started a small experiment on HC on DSM in two containers. It has been two weeks and I can say my HC are growing quite well, roots are growing a little.

The project/experiment has come to a point where there are plenty of doubts coming in...

1) Do I still have to use the DSM when I replant them into a tank?
    2) I will be using a very low tech tank setup (no light [using sunlight], no CO2, no chiller), can my HC still survive with some shimps only?
    3) I have read plenty of articles and the range of temperature now is from 20 to 32 degree Celsius. Can someone help?
    4) Read that many experience "melting", moulds and algae when they flood the tanks. Is there anyway to prevent it?

If all goes well for my tank, I could probably start giving out HC from my containers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    New to the world of aquatic fauna and flora. Please give me your valuable advice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DSM HC experiment

Using the DSM method basically allows the plants to get ample Co2 direct from the air which boosts growth speed and eliminates the issues of algae. It also saves water and electricity during the grow out period, since you don't need to run a filter and do water changes.

Most of these carpet plants grow emersed above water in their natural habitats anyways, so that's their default growth environment.

You can choose to continue growing them out in the tank using DSM or just flood it... just that you will usually tend to get better and faster growth during DSM, compared to when the tank is flooded, especially if the tank is a low tech setup without Co2 injection.

HC can grow in non-Co2 injected tanks, but the growth rate will tend to be super slow, due to the limitation of Co2. More often than not when the new growth doesn't grow fast enough to replace the old melting growth, it'll look like it's gradually deteriorating over time. Algae also tends to be an issue due to the slower HC growth rate and melting parts.

I've kept some HC in my outdoor tank with only sunlight before and while it does grow a little bit, it's so slow that either algae or other more hardy lower demand plants quickly overtake it, so i end up just removing the HC. I haven't found temperature to be a significant factor in its growth rate, though i guess extremes should still be avoided.

When a tank is flooded after DSM is complete, it's common for some older parts of the HC to melt abit due to the transition process (sometimes mold or fungus may also be attracted to the melting leaves, which will usually disappear on their own or get eaten by dwarf shrimps anyways)... but by right, the HC should have already rooted in and formed a dense carpet by then (which is the objective of doing DSM) so the existing plant density should be able to recover quickly and continue growing.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I see... Thanks for your valuable input! Clarified all the doubts I had penned down!

I shall wait till I have a larger amount of HC to play around before transferring it into a tank, DSM for a period of time before flooding it then.

I have a couple of test/play tanks at home with a steady temperature range of about 27-29 degree Celsius so guess tempt wise it should probably be safe.

For my first scape, I would most likely be using java moss and HC, might add water sprite or nanas for a wider spectrum of colour (still working on the layout and getting the DW(s) and rock(s) though).

Last question! My first scape tank is a 1ft x 0.5ft x 0.5ft. How much shrimps should I add?
    New to the world of aquatic fauna and flora. Please give me your valuable advice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by downtownz View Post
    Last question! My first scape tank is a 1ft x 0.5ft x 0.5ft. How much shrimps should I add?
    30x15x15 tank is around 6+ liters... for that small volume of water, just 10-15 shrimps should be sufficient.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    30x15x15 tank is around 6+ liters... for that small volume of water, just 10-15 shrimps should be sufficient.
    Thanks! Will start my tank in about 4-5 weeks time. Hope it will be one a time success!