Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help! How to breed Yamato (Amano) shrimps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help! How to breed Yamato (Amano) shrimps!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone! Yesterday night I did some research on breeding Yamato Shrimps because three female shrimps in my large aquarium have eggs in their underbellies. The colour of the eggs is light grey and one female kind of laid her eggs this morning in the big aquarium and I assume that all the babies were eaten up by my tetras. Currently I have taken one female out and transferred her to a smaller plastic tank. I put in some ceremic rings and a pinch of TetraBits (what she often steals from my tetras) into the aquarium. Is everything I'm doing correct? I'm a total newbie at shrimp breeding and Yamato shrimps can be very tough to breed . The female is feeling very stressed now and is frantically swimming all over the place. I have a few questions to ask any expert who can help me:

1) How do I tell when the eggs will hatch?
    2) Can I put 2 females together in one tank or must they be seperated.
    3) How much salt must I add into the water for the newly-hatched shrimp babies? Some sources say 25g per 1 litre while others say 3.5ppt.
    4) Is my tank big enough? (Please see picture) or must I purchase a bigger one?

I think these are the four main questions I would like to ask any 师父 who would be able to help me out.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers from SG,
    Happydanio123

Pictures:
    https://flic.kr/p/zFFJ1R
    https://flic.kr/p/zFFD4M

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help! How to breed Yamato (Amano) shrimps!

I tried raising yamato shrimp larvae before but wasn't successful... you need to use marine salt (not normal salt) with distilled water to create the tank conditions (its essentially a marine tank) for the larvae to develop into shrimplets and then gradually transition them back to freshwater as they grow. Its a tedious process. Much easier to just buy yamato shrimps at the LFS.

Anyways, you don't keep the berried shrimps in saltwater yet (still in freshwater, all the female shrimps can be kept together without issues), only when they hatch the larvae then you transfer the larvae to the saltwater tank. You'll know when the eggs hatch when you see tiny white dots floating everywhere in the tank, those are the free-swimming larvae.

A larger tank is always better if possible, helps keep the parameters more stable. I have tried raising the larvae in specific gravity of 1.021 (or 34ppt), not much success so i guess there are many other factors involved, you have to experiment with it. Btw, you need a hydrometer or refractometer to regularly measure the salinity, cannot anyhow keep guessing, since it will change when you top up water or do water changes.

I guess all a matter of trying the various methods described on the online yamato shrimp breeding guides to see if you can get the shrimplets though their different stages of growth and development.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 4th Nov 2015 at 16:55.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA. I don't currently have a hydrometer cos I just measured and calculated the amount of salt I needed before pouring ot in and after that I marked the water level in the aquarium so that when topping off, I know where to stop. Zoeys are doing fine but I still don't know what to feed them. Some sy brewers yeast while some say phytoplankton. I've done a little research on phytoplankton and it's pretty much futile trying to obtain it unless you have a culture which is what I am looking for. Checked out That aquarium but all they have is spirulina tablets which the zoeys can't eat. What did you feed your zoeys when you had them UA, I'm interested to know. Thanks anyway for the help provided!
    Last edited by happydanio123; 4th Nov 2015 at 18:52. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I used a combination of bake king activated/instant yeast and ocean free spirulina powder (mixed them in a cup of water until fully dissolved before feeding). I also tried adding Liquifry into the mixture too.

The challenge is to feed enough for the larvae to consume... but not too much that the excess food foul the water. Thats the tricky part.

I guess the best is probably living phytoplankton (ie. green water?), but that will need to be cultured separately. Ample algae growth in the tank also helps alot too.

Majority of the larvae died off in my previous try outs though, only a few developed into shrimplets, and those also gradually died off after a short while so i eventually just gave up. Hopefully you can have more perseverance and success than i did.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 4th Nov 2015 at 19:51.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup! Many forums say that Live Phytoplankton is the best food for the shrimp zoeys! However I've checked out Reef Forum SG but they say to get it from NUS pond...:-\

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you think Seaview has live culture? I'm going down there one of these days and I'll buy it if I'm there.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    Do you think Seaview has live culture? I'm going down there one of these days and I'll buy it if I'm there.
    To my knowledge, i don't remember Seaview selling live cultures of phytoplankton... at most just tubifex and daphnia moina during the weekends.

I guess taking green water from ponds could be an option, though have to be careful and check for any critters or parasites in the water before usage.

The other alternative is perhaps cultivating your own green water, maybe get a glass jar and fill with aquarium water, put lots of scrap vegetables in it and put under sunlight, see if can grow green water.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok thanks UA, I'm using Shirakura baby shrimp food. So you think it's Ok? There's a picture below which you can refer to. The food is powdery but I'm not too sure if it can be used. Please advise. Thanks!
    https://flic.kr/p/A6n1HC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    Ok thanks UA, I'm using Shirakura baby shrimp food. So you think it's Ok? There's a picture below which you can refer to. The food is powdery but I'm not too sure if it can be used. Please advise. Thanks!
    https://flic.kr/p/A6n1HC
    That should be fine to feed too... when feeding commercial foods its all a matter of controlling the feed amount to avoid excess food fouling the water. Have to go by trial and error.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA and others! Many thanks for all your advice but my Shrimps unfortunately did not survive. I think that the Shrimps need special care to grow. Anyways, thanks so much for all the advice given.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure if online information is correct, or that we are dealing with yamato hatchlings that no longer need to go through the seawater phase.

Just this morning, one of my yamato laid her eggs, and when I came back from work, those hatchlings are still alive. When I prepared the seawater using the salt from LFS, and using a hydrometer to determine the density to be about 1.024g/cm3. The hatchlings were found to be swimming actively at first, after an hour, more or less everything is floating around lifeless. Note that I used the water from my big tank, so it couldnt be chlorine, or not suitable waters or whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwyrm View Post
    Not sure if online information is correct, or that we are dealing with yamato hatchlings that no longer need to go through the seawater phase.

Just this morning, one of my yamato laid her eggs, and when I came back from work, those hatchlings are still alive. When I prepared the seawater using the salt from LFS, and using a hydrometer to determine the density to be about 1.024g/cm3. The hatchlings were found to be swimming actively at first, after an hour, more or less everything is floating around lifeless. Note that I used the water from my big tank, so it couldnt be chlorine, or not suitable waters or whatsoever.
    Just to confirm that you used marine salt? Not normal aquarium salt?

And when you prepare the saltwater, try using distilled water instead, so that the saltwater created has a standard composition... that will eliminate any unknown issues that may arise from simply mixing marine salt with your existing aquarium water.

Its also better to let the saltwater grow-out tank run with an airstone or sponge filter for a few days beforehand before introducing the larvae so that everything is stable, rather than just a new setup (the larvae can live in freshwater for a few days, like in nature where it also takes time for them to gradually get washed back to the ocean). Perhaps you can keep the saltwater tank up and running in preparation for the next batch of larvae.
    www.urbanaquaria.com