Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Co2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Friends,

I'm a newcomer to the Planted Tank and only started realizing my courage late last year. My planted tank was set-up in Nov last year with help from a old friend. Due to budget constraint, i only managed to introduce CO2 system to tank recently.

I have been reading quite a lot articles posted here as well as asking questions. The whole CO2 set-up is done for the tank and over the last 3 weeks, i have seen great improvement and so far, all the plants reacted well.

I have 2 questions.

a) I have yet to see any bubble releasing from any of the plants since the day CO2 got injected into the tank. Something might be missing, need help.....

b) I have notice snails infesting the tank, any solution?

Appreciate comments.....Regards, Francis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by francis tan
    Dear Friends,

I'm a newcomer to the Planted Tank and only started realizing my courage late last year. My planted tank was set-up in Nov last year with help from a old friend. Due to budget constraint, i only managed to introduce CO2 system to tank recently.

I have been reading quite a lot articles posted here as well as asking questions. The whole CO2 set-up is done for the tank and over the last 3 weeks, i have seen great improvement and so far, all the plants reacted well.

I have 2 questions.

a) I have yet to see any bubble releasing from any of the plants since the day CO2 got injected into the tank. Something might be missing, need help.....

b) I have notice snails infesting the tank, any solution?

Appreciate comments.....Regards, Francis
    a) What plants do you have in there? Is the plant mass in the tank very high? What kind of nutrients are you dosing for the plants? Amount of the light over the tank? Tank size? Pearling is an indicator of O2 saturation and also a good indicator for plant folks to see how well their plants are doing. The amount of pearling depends on the plants mass, water current, plant types, light intensity and etc.

b) I don't bother with them..they are part of my eco-system..

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    snail is part and parcel of a freshwater ecosystem, however they can be unsightly if they get rather out of hand. a single horseface loach will solve your problem especially if it is heavily planted. other similar small botia type loach will work too.

on the other hand, keep a few "zebra" snail which is quite pretty and helps clean green algae off those really hard to reach places. you can get the snails from such LFS as WuHu (Tiong Bahru Ben) should be around $1 each.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Zebra Snails lays quite a bit of unsightly eggs...just beware...i got it and never got them again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    interestingly mine never lay any eggs
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter.

Sorry ah, but what is "Pearling"?

Is it the same as bubbling?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant
    Hi Peter.

Sorry ah, but what is "Pearling"?

Is it the same as bubbling?
    Yup, bubbling...

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

There is a different between pearling and bubbling.

Bubbling is a string of oxygen bubbles produce from the plants. It is quite common at the part where you cut your stem plants.

Pearling is a single oxygen bubble trap on the tip of the plants. Riccia is a very good example of plants that pearl.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't make a distinction really, since both are generated by the same process.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    "Bubbling" is a general term I think...Basically, what you want to see is bubbles attached onto leaves. The other is "streaming" which occurs with damaged leaves or cut stems. "Streaming" can occur without saturation of O2 in water...I'll take pearling..

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HaHa...I think I never know there is a different also

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    which is better? to leave 24/7 CO2 on or turn off when lights off too?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Better to turn off when lights off.
    Plants will only need the CO2 during daylight time for photosynthesis.

Night time they will take in O2 like all living organisms.
    If you leave the CO2 on 24/7 your fish might die.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

how u connect co2?

Did you connect the CO2 directly to diffuser ( U shape glass type) or CO2 reactor with ball inside (3 balls)?

I connect my CO2 reactor from canister outlet and rain bar at the end to help spread the water with CO2 to the whole 4ft tank. And all plants after 2-3 hrs can see lot of bubble (few hundreds) on the leaves and some release to water surface. I have a huge Japonica and Tiger red lotus in the tank and it did block a bit of the water going to the other side so less bubble on that site.

My other 3ft tank use glass type co2 diffuser and the result was very poor cause only few plants have little bubble, cause the CO2 didn't dissolve properly and lot of co2 wasted after reach the surface of water.

Search on the forum for CO2 reactor or u can DIY one to help you on the current problem. I intend to do one soon .. no time to find the hardware ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hii
    Did you connect the CO2 directly to diffuser ( U shape glass type) or CO2 reactor with ball inside (3 balls)?

I connect my CO2 reactor from canister outlet and rain bar at the end to help spread the water with CO2 to the whole 4ft tank. And all plants after 2-3 hrs can see lot of bubble (few hundreds) on the leaves and some release to water surface. I have a huge Japonica and Tiger red lotus in the tank and it did block a bit of the water going to the other side so less bubble on that site.

My other 3ft tank use glass type co2 diffuser and the result was very poor cause only few plants have little bubble, cause the CO2 didn't dissolve properly and lot of co2 wasted after reach the surface of water.

Search on the forum for CO2 reactor or u can DIY one to help you on the current problem. I intend to do one soon .. no time to find the hardware ...
    I use CO2 diffuser (10cm tall version) for my 3 feet tank, 1.5 bps, and on round the clock, all my plant, moss and downoi are ok, and my tank is into the 18mth ; But I have less than 20 tetra, about 50 shrimps and one puffer;

tango
    Adopt all unwanted neon & cardinal tetra

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Tango,

Your puffer doesn't touch your shrimps?

Cos I had one puffer (not the dwarf one, but a thumb sized one) who practically dismantled my office tank's blue lobster.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro Giant, my dwarf puffer attack my cherry babies....n it out of my shrimp tank for now.

Bro Tango pls observe the puffer carefully, once he start attacking shrimp is time to remove it.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nope, it did not attack my shrimp;

my puffer is about 6mm in length, I purposely buy the most kak tek one from the LFS; and i don;t think it belong to the dwarf puffer species;
    maybe it is a peaceful puffer, contended in eating snail;

tango
    Adopt all unwanted neon & cardinal tetra