Images
    Country
    Singapore

beautiful danionins from Burma - Danio feegradei

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    have never seen this in the LFS, but damn beautiful fish for the planted tank!

Danio feegradei

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well... if it's hardly seen in the LFS, then it's never gonna be in our planted tanks. Don't suppose any of the importers are intested in making it available to the local hobbyists?

Anyway, lucky got Choy to get a good shot to share with the rest of us...

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm sure it is being exported otherwise he wouldn't be collecting them. we just need some LFS bold enough to go order from QH.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

Only QH carry in this fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not sure if QH carries it, but QH does import from this source regularly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is a lot to be said about using fish species with subdued colours in planted tanks. For myself, I have never found it imperative to feature neons and cardinals, which though pretty lil' fish, glower too starkly against a backdrop of greens and browns, or worse of reds and yellows. Amano sometimes features tanks with a single species of small silver or brownish schooling fish, which stand out (yet blend in) by offering a (oft) metallic constrast to the matte green and tanned brown of the aquascape.

Fishes in this category I would like to consider as monocultures in a planted tank include Rasbora dorsiocellata, the lampeyes, medakas, glass catfish, Rasbora einthovenii & R. elegans, danios, Hemigrammus ulreyi, halfbeaks and the small blue-eyes (rainbowfish relatives).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow! I didn't know these little guys can be so fierce.

Last night I put a pair of Danio feegradei and a pair of Danio sp. ‘TW01’ into a 1ft cube tank for photoshoot. I did this hoping they will flare for me to get clear shoot of their fins. Next thing I knew one of the larger D. feegradei was chasing after the others. One of the D. sp. ‘TW01’ decided to put up a fight and both spun round each other taking nips (I thought cyprinids don't have teeth in their jaws, only in the throat!) from each other’s flank, and actually managed to pluck out scales which flew off in the water sparkling and glittering!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    There is a lot to be said about using fish species with subdued colours in planted tanks. For myself, I have never found it imperative to feature neons and cardinals, which though pretty lil' fish, glower too starkly against a backdrop of greens and browns, or worse of reds and yellows. Amano sometimes features tanks with a single species of small silver or brownish schooling fish, which stand out (yet blend in) by offering a (oft) metallic constrast to the matte green and tanned brown of the aquascape.

Fishes in this category I would like to consider as monocultures in a planted tank include Rasbora dorsiocellata, the lampeyes, medakas, glass catfish, Rasbora einthovenii & R. elegans, danios, Hemigrammus ulreyi, halfbeaks and the small blue-eyes (rainbowfish relatives).

if you have a long tank I'd recommend strong swimmers with elongate bodies such as Barilius spp., Inlecypris auropurpureus and Danio feegradei.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    wow! I didn't know these little guys can be so fierce.

Last night I put a pair of Danio feegradei and a pair of Danio sp. ‘TW01’ into a 1ft cube tank for photoshoot. I did this hoping they will flare for me to get clear shoot of their fins. Next thing I knew one of the larger D. feegradei was chasing after the others. One of the D. sp. ‘TW01’ decided to put up a fight and both spun round each other taking nips (I thought cyprinids don't have teeth in their jaws, only in the throat!) from each other’s flank, and actually managed to pluck out scales which flew off in the water sparkling and glittering!
    From my younger fish keeping days, I do recall the Zebra Danio chasing each other and taking nips at each other. Even at other slower long fin fishes too.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?