Country
    Singapore

Moss losing its 'leaves'

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    I am keeping spiky moss, but for some reason, the moss stays green, but it loses the little leaves on its fronds. The result is that the patch of moss starts to look very scraggly, very bare. like a cluster of little sticks instead of a bunch of leafy, lush fronds.
    Any idea what could be the problem?

i dose NPK and trace twice a week, with CO2 at 0.2bps, and light 6 hours a day.
    In any case, i doubt moss needs so much to even grow. what could be the case?
    i keep a puffer, and an army of malayan shrimps. It cannot be that the shrimps are eating the moss, can it? Have never seen them do it, neither have i seen them..

Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Moss losing its 'leaves'

While moss do go through some transition period and may shed some older/damaged fronds when introduced into a new tank environment, if you find that most of the fronds are disappearing quickly and you have alot of shrimps in the tank (and there isn't much algae growth yet)... chances are the shrimps are eating the moss.

I also experienced this with batches of yamato and red nose shrimps befor too. Added large groups of them to a holding tank that had established crops of moss, only to see the moss gradually get munched up over the course of a few days.

I guess if there are alot of shrimps and not enough food sources, as a last resort, they could switch to feasting on soft delicate plants like moss.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com