Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Long Kang Fish, Wild Guppies/Endlers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Singapore Long Kang Fish, Wild Guppies/Endlers.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    XD Caught some Endlers from a small Long Kang and decided to keep 2 females & 3 males.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Singapore Long Kang Fish, Wild Guppies/Endlers.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Those are poecilia obscura wild guppy and not endler which is poecilia wingei.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Guppendler View Post
    Those are poecilia obscura wild guppy and not endler which is poecilia wingei.
    Oh... I didn't know wild guppy falls in another species. XD I always thought that wild guppy = endlers as they looks alike. ^_^ Many thanks for your enlightenment.
    What are the distinctive feature to differential them?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

With so many people tossing unwanted pet guppies and endlers of different strains and variants into local waterways and longkangs over the decades... i wouldn't be surprised that those fishes already breed and hybridize over hundreds of generations by now. I'd guess it would be a real challenge to differentiate and ID them.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I tried keeping them alive when I was a kid. it wasn't smooth

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

XD Then Singapore got it own species of guppies, poecilia Singapura. I actually found them at Bukit Batok at a small drain beside a HDB block. Rarely can find wild guppies anymore. I realize the female wild guppies are so afraid of my tiger endlers.. It was shaking then running away. =_=

Yeah used to catch them when I was a kid.. same as you didn't manage to keep them alive as I was ignorance during that time. @_@ My mum also shared with me her experience when she was young and used to catch and keep lots of them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I love our drain guppies; they're usually much hardier than those from the shops, and breed very easily too. These wild-type guppies are usually small-sized, so there are also no issues with adults preying on fry too. I've found that guppies are still common in a number of streams and drains, both in urban and more rural areas, just that they can be very hard to find, unless you climb down into the canal and start swishing around with a large net. In fact, my home setup features a colony of guppies that I caught from drains close to where I live, happily feeding and breeding for several generations.

Aren't our drain guppies the usual Poecilia reticulata, reverted to wild-type morphology? I don't think Endler's (wingei) and Oropuche (obscura) have been introduced to our waters, or if they have, I doubt they've been released in large enough numbers to hybridise extensively with our introduced guppies. Of course, it's entirely possible that these other two species had been introduced a long time ago, before they were recognised as distinct species from guppies.

By the way, here's the paper describing Poecilia obscura, which also features photos of actual wild guppies (reticulata) from various parts of their native range in South America.

And more on the different "types" of wild guppies.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup.. My mum told me that she used to keep wild guppies in Chinese egg ceramic pot and they keep breeding and breeding that she ended up with few pots. There's no aeration also. She also agrees that nowadays fish from LFS are so fragile.

I also found that the drain water parameter I found the wild guppies was quite different from the recommend parameter by the LFS/breeders. Ph is 7.2 which is quite ok but the GH is 3 which compare to 10, recommended by LFS/breeders. It seem they are able to accept a range of parameter. Currently I keeping them in GH5 Ph 7.6-7.8. XD They are super super active.

@_@ I think as what shifu UA said, differentiating them is a very difficult task. It seem like kinda subjective in differentiating them through their features.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

our local wild guppies have dots on the body .. while endler lack of that.
    colour wise also somehow is different.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There are some visible physical traits that could tell apart the 2 species. Obscura has stouter body and fireblade pointed out that body spots are giveaways for wild guppies. The dorsal shape between the 2 are also visibly different in the males especially. More detailed differences will involve fin ray counts which could help distinguish the females between the 2 species

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I noticed for females, there are 2 kinds from top view one is round mouth the other is straight mouth what is the species that have round mouth?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's no surprise that the guppies in our local drains are much hardier. They are, afterall, subject to weather conditions and pollution. Water parameters would also fluctuate quite abit when it rains, especially those found in storm drains.

Identification based on captive bred pictures of guppies might not be very accurate since these fish are wild caught and have spent countless generations in a much different habitat. For example, you'd surely expect them to have duller colours to better camouflage themselves, and also to have stockier bodies more suited to the constantly flowing water. These are environmental factors not imposed on captive bred guppies, which might lead to harder identification of the exact subspecies (just like how wild caught fish of other species differ from captive bred specimens).

My 2 cents..

Sent from my iNO 3 using Tapatalk
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yup... I have notice one of the wild caught has stouter body. The section between the dorsal fin & tail is wider unlike Endler with "hour-shape" figure. XD Not really hour-shape but lot slimmer. But the other 2 hard to tell as it's quite slim too.
    Oh... the colors patterns also can be used as trait to ID the species? XD I though they are variable between each species?? @_@ Still lot to learn about Guppies. Hard for me to tell from the dorsal fin @_@? Any tips? Thanks ^_^

Heya shifu fireblade~~
    XD Didn't know you are into wild guppies..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro Bern C I am not into wild guppies lar but I am into guppies..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    Bro Bern C I am not into wild guppies lar but I am into guppies..
    You should breed a new strain of guppies with wild guppies too. @_@ I am still learning about guppies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

if you inbreed a line of guppies long enough, you will see the wild trait coming out...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The gonopodiums of the males are also different between the 2 species, endler male has a hook like protrusion

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Am amazed this topic generates so much interests

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Guppendler View Post
    The gonopodiums of the males are also different between the 2 species, endler male has a hook like protrusion
    ^_^ Yeah... I started to be able to see the different between the wild guppies and endlers. So endlers are not related to wild guppies?

Let say if I keep interbreed a K class endlers, will I be able to get back a N class endler or back to a wild strain endler?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast