Country
    Singapore

Re: Aquaponics?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by sthh View Post
    Yes, we eat all the stuff that we grow, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and the occassional vegetables.
    Hi sthh,
    This is encouraging and I'm also looking forward to grow tomatoes, nasturtiums, basil, cabbage, pok chai, mint, sweet peppers with my 3 planters. I'll try DWC with lettuces

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by antjoey1122 View Post
    Hi sthh,
    This is encouraging and I'm also looking forward to grow tomatoes, nasturtiums, basil, cabbage, pok chai, mint, sweet peppers with my 3 planters. I'll try DWC with lettuces

Do you have an EC meter and ph meter to measure the water parameters needed for plants? lettuces are still ok, due to their low demand on nutrients and light, but tomatoes, sweet peppers are more demanding. Basil will grow no matter what you do.
    My fish friends --------------------------------
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sthh View Post
    Do you have an EC meter and ph meter to measure the water parameters needed for plants? lettuces are still ok, due to their low demand on nutrients and light, but tomatoes, sweet peppers are more demanding. Basil will grow no matter what you do.
    Hi sthh,
    I've a ph meter, but what's a EC meter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by antjoey1122 View Post
    Hi sthh,
    I've a ph meter, but what's a EC meter?

I'm guessing it's electrical conductivity - a measure of the number of ions in water (the more ions, the better electrical conductivity). I think the aquarist equivalent is TDS (total dissolved solids).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conduc...(electrolytic)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boofeng View Post
    I'm guessing it's electrical conductivity - a measure of the number of ions in water (the more ions, the better electrical conductivity). I think the aquarist equivalent is TDS (total dissolved solids).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conduc...(electrolytic)
    Hi Bufeng,

Thanks bro.. But I need to know where to get the EC meter. Do you have any idea?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Update on progress
    PVC Overflow Pipe

I had made the Overflow PVC pipe and painted black as per the instruction from Youtube as shown in post#8 http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...591#post836591 in this thread and it is great.

IMG-20160202-WA0015.jpg

I made some changes to the design, instead of using PVC pipe for the big pipe in tank, I use a 40mm transparent PVC material tube from LFS. This way I can observe the flow and make sure nothing is clogging the intake.

Now there is no more powerhead or pump in the tank, it is very neat.

The flowrate is very high. I will try to take a video of the flowrate to my sump.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is really interesting. Would really love to try my hands out on this especially with the relative small spaces that we have in our HDB homes..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Does anyone know it is allowed to setup on the HDB corridor?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You would need to get HDB's advise on this. You can write in to them with the request with specifics on the space used along the corridor and total weight involved in the setup.
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your suggestion.

Sent from my HM 1SW using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there AntJoey! I love you enthusiasm in DIYing your aquaponics setup but I was just wondering if you connected all the sumps and aquariums together, won't that increase chances of cross infection? Anyways I really love your "Swirl filter" idea! It really makes me think of Koi ponds and I think that it was very creative of you to incorporate so many elements into your aquarium. I'm also thinking of startung an aquaponics project but I think my aquarium doesn't have enough nutrients for the plants to grow well. Do keep us updated and good luck on your exciting endeavour!
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AquaHausSG View Post
    This is really interesting. Would really love to try my hands out on this especially with the relative small spaces that we have in our HDB homes..
    Hi AquaHausSG,

Yes, I was inspired by the many news from such as these one:

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...d-strawberries

http://uforest.blogspot.sg/2010/02/g...corridors.html

I was thinking, why waste all the water we have from our aquarium hobby.
    And yes, with limited spaces in Singapore, HDB corridors are indeed an avenue we can explore. But must not be breeding ground for mozy.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    Hi there AntJoey! I love you enthusiasm in DIYing your aquaponics setup but I was just wondering if you connected all the sumps and aquariums together, won't that increase chances of cross infection? Anyways I really love your "Swirl filter" idea! It really makes me think of Koi ponds and I think that it was very creative of you to incorporate so many elements into your aquarium. I'm also thinking of startung an aquaponics project but I think my aquarium doesn't have enough nutrients for the plants to grow well. Do keep us updated and good luck on your exciting endeavour!
    Hi happydanio123,

I love DIY stuff. The idea of connecting all the sumps together is just to reduce my maintenance time of the aquariums - a lazy man approach to maintenance.
    I agreed that there will be risks of cross infection, but I believe the fish will be happy with the more natural styles of setup once I achieved it.

I had been researching into incorporating algae into the design and riparium style to give the fish feel more at home.

Wow, Koi ponds would be good source of nutrient for a aquaponics setup.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Update on progress
    PVC Overflow Pipeoutput flow video as promised.

Looking at the current flow rate, it looks pretty good and very high.

I think based on the designer's flowrate calculation it should be about 200gph to a maximum of 1260gph.

I found that this design is very versatile and the output flowrate will adjust according to input into the tanks.

I will try to pull out one of the PVC Overflow pipe to show everyone about the transparent pipe as compare to normal PVC pipe for the big pipe in tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,sorry to ask a noob question about aquaponic.
    For the water,do you all use commercial dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime? If so,wouldnt the chemical be bad for our health if we eat the vegetables grown?
    If not using using commercial chemical,what other ways to dechlorinate our tap water,other than letting the chlorine evaporate,so that the fishes will not die off due to chlorine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by simbk View Post
    Hi all,sorry to ask a noob question about aquaponic.
    For the water,do you all use commercial dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime? If so,wouldnt the chemical be bad for our health if we eat the vegetables grown?
    If not using using commercial chemical,what other ways to dechlorinate our tap water,other than letting the chlorine evaporate,so that the fishes will not die off due to chlorine
    The chemicals in the anti chlorine, Sodium thiosulfate, Sodium sulfite, Sodium metabisulfite and Sodium bisulfite are rather harmless.
    My fish friends --------------------------------
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Really? I always thought it might be unsafe

Thanks for the enlightening,sthh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi All,

Wife had some problems growing herbs in pots and I took the opportunity to start a aquaponic system in my balcony (actually it was an opportunity to get another fish tank). Got some containers from Toyogo, some grow media, a 2ft tank, a pump and some piping.... and the results are as below:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Been trying to show everyone the overflow pipe. Here it is. uploadfromtaptalk1463585515011.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Hi All,

Wife had some problems growing herbs in pots and I took the opportunity to start a aquaponic system in my balcony (actually it was an opportunity to get another fish tank). Got some containers from Toyogo, some grow media, a 2ft tank, a pump and some piping.... and the results are as below:

Hi sherchoo,

Anymore updates on your aquaponics?

Been rather busy and had the tanks running and started a Paludarium, yet to grow anythings except some mints.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast