Advertise here
    Hi anyone into aquaponics here? Not sure can I post this here

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aquaponics?

The picture showed my old setup for my tanks. I had my tanks setup along my corridor, previous designs for the planted tanks were pond style http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ttle+ecosystem. I was using 2 planter boxes acting as filter, planted with Peace Lily and Arrowheads to manage the nitrate.

Now I intend to go low tech and fully planted for my tanks, also I wanted to change to full aquaponics.

I still love planted tanks, but I also like to use the waste water from the fish to grow some vegetables and herbs.
    Attachment 51969

I will place my tanks close together horizontally.
    Will update with master plan.

Anyone has experience with setup on this scale? It would be fun to share.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sounds like an interesting plan... do update on the progress of your aquaponic project.

So far, i've only played around briefly with simple overhead box setups using various emersed hardy aquarium plants in LECA substrate (ie. anubias, crypts, water wisteria, even mangrove plants too) and it worked quite well on a small scale system. Haven't tried with vegetables and herbs tough, i assume those usually tend to require alot more nutrients to grow, based on my experience a while back trying to grow them hydroponically with DIY kits.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ok. the attachment is dead. Let me add it as a image link.
    my_fish_room_old_setup_small.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Sounds like an interesting plan... do update on the progress of your aquaponic project.

So far, i've only played around briefly with simple overhead box setups using various emersed hardy aquarium plants in LECA substrate (ie. anubias, crypts, water wisteria, even mangrove plants too) and it worked quite well on a small scale system. Haven't tried with vegetables and herbs tough, i assume those usually tend to require alot more nutrients to grow, based on my experience a while back trying to grow them hydroponically with DIY kits.
    I have not been into hydroponic before, but it would be an added knowledge for an aquaponic setup.

I intend to use bigger planter box hook on the railing of corridor and put clay pellet to act as the filter media and as the grow beds for the vege and herbs.

Yes, same as you mentioned, I will also be using LECA=clay pellet.

[Image showing the clay pellets=LECA (
    Light Expanded Clay Aggregate), also know as Hydroton,]
    clay-pebbles-leca-hydroponic-aquaponic-10-liter-pack-ptria-1409-18-PTRia@1.jpg

LECA is a cool addition as a filter media as it is had lots of surfaces for the beneficial bacteria to grow and it promote aeration, which is good for plant roots and bacteria. So it is only natural to use in a 2 in one system, like a aquaponics.

Directly below the hanging planter boxes will be the planted tanks.
    My only worry is when the water nutrient get soak up by the vege and herbs in planter boxes, there may not be enough nutrient for the planted tanks.

There will be lots of DIY, lots of PVC piping and joints.

I will add another picture of the master plan.

Are there many people, who are crazy about fish and vege here ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i am interested too. Can share how you set it up?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cmlee View Post
    i am interested too. Can share how you set it up?
    Hi Cmlee,

My idea of the setup is to make 3 overflow pvc pipes and have the 3 tanks put side by side together arrange horizontally and then the overflow will drain to a central sump. The sump will then be the Lifeline for all subsequent new tanks, so to speak the water maintenance and other miscellaneous or new setup will link from the sump to them.

So from the sump I will pump the water up to some planter boxes for aquaponics (grow beds or DWC or NFT), the aquaponics will then serve as the central filtration system. Also from the central sump I can add some other water features or some tubifex sub-culture. I will also do my water top up for the system directly into the sump.

This should take at least 3-4 months to complete. Master plan coming up soon.

The overflow PVC pipes would be based on this design as I do not intend to drill my tanks.

Reference from http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topi...w-box-or-pipe/

Do you have a design in mind?
    Are you starting from scratch or use your present tanks setup?

As I shared in my post, my tanks are along the corridor with direct sunlight exposure. This may make my setup a bit easier, as there would be no need for lighting fixture.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This is a great link on how to make a PVC overflow pipe. No drill to tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This my master piece setup for aquaponics, the image is an explanation of how the tanks are going to be arranged.

Had included a Swirl flow filter to collect the solids or poop from fish. This will prevent solid waste from accumulating in the grow beds (planter boxes). Solid accumulation will prevent aeration in the LECA, which will cause denitrification and will break the system proper working conditions.

I will explain further by improving the picture labeling.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow nice work antjoey1122! Your pics are like professional graphics - very nice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like a very detailed setup!

Its interesting how you designed it to get around the current DIY configuration, ie. the multiple small sump tanks linked with water bridges due to the existing bench/stand legs.

I guess if you want to grow the plants on top well, the plants in the aquariums would have to be reduced or removed altogether, so that the maximum amount of nutrients can go towards feeding the plants above.

The only thing which i'm curious about is whether you have a fail-safe mechanism for the swirl flow pipe? As it is submerged in the bucket, if the power is cut and the pump doesn't push up water anymore, water in the bucket would siphon back into the sump below.

Though i guess if the bucket volume isn't that large, and the sump tanks below have enough space, they could still contain all the back flowed water. Or maybe a check valve could be installed on the piping to prevent the back flow.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boofeng View Post
    Wow nice work antjoey1122! Your pics are like professional graphics - very nice!
    Hi Bufeng,
    I'm trying my best to put the design up using good old PowerPoint. I think it looks fine. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Looks like a very detailed setup!

Its interesting how you designed it to get around the current DIY configuration, ie. the multiple small sump tanks linked with water bridges due to the existing bench/stand legs.

I guess if you want to grow the plants on top well, the plants in the aquariums would have to be reduced or removed altogether, so that the maximum amount of nutrients can go towards feeding the plants above.

The only thing which i'm curious about is whether you have a fail-safe mechanism for the swirl flow pipe? As it is submerged in the bucket, if the power is cut and the pump doesn't push up water anymore, water in the bucket would siphon back into the sump below.

Though i guess if the bucket volume isn't that large, and the sump tanks below have enough space, they could still contain all the back flowed water. Or maybe a check valve could be installed on the piping to prevent the back flow.
    Hi UA,
    Thanks for your comments.
    The small sumps may cause some problem if they are not higher than the big sump as the water bridges will try to level all their water levels with the sump with the highest level of water. I think I'll need to raise them a bit too.

I was searching around on aquaponic everywhere and you're right about the planted tanks nutrients needs and there's no reference on this topic about planted tanks and aquaponic. Maybe I can look at bio loads instead to address the nutrients needs for planted tanks and Vege.

Yes the swirl flow pipe back flow during a power outage or pump failure will cause all the water in bucket to cause a natural siphon and flood the big sump. I'll incorporate a 1 way ball valve.

Shall update the design again. Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi All,

Just to give everyone a clear understanding of what a swirl pipe look like, below image is from my research.

Reference to http://aquaponics.net.au/forum/threa...voponics.2866/

This kind of filter helps with the solids (fish poops, uneaten food, plants debris, dirt ...) removal and reduce big floating particles from going back to fish tanks. I believe it helps with water clarity.

I had actually a completed set of overflow and swirl pipe. Shall update with some photos.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Design updated with raise sump to be same level as big sump and added check valve to prevent flooding.

Added more labels to provide better explanation. Will keep improving my design.
    No time to take those photos yet, will do it soon. Shall keep everyone posted. Cheers!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Here's sharing my fishtank aquaponic setup started in Nov last year using readily available LFS items, for your reference. Hope you can find some use.

Waiting for CNY Harvest:

Close up of naibai and maiko lettuce
    My fish friends --------------------------------
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sthh View Post
    Here's sharing my fishtank aquaponic setup started in Nov last year using readily available LFS items, for your reference. Hope you can find some use.
    [pics removed to save disk space, refer to http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...081#post837081]

Waiting for CNY Harvest:
    [pics removed to save disk space, refer to http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...081#post837081]

Close up of naibai and maiko lettuce
    Hi sthh,

This is really cool. Great inspiration for those who are going to marry the 2 arts of fish keeping and gardening!

Where do you get the seeds for the colorful lettuce, my wife love the nai bai - I want to get those seeds too?

They looks ready to be harvested.

I think I am crazy, trying to combine 3 things: fish keeping, planted tank and gardening. I think I will drop a few compost worms in my grow bed and that will add in another hobby, vermi-compost.
    Then that would be 4.

I think the term Vermiaquaponics

can be used, but it is not enough to describe the planted tank.

Any idea anyone?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by antjoey1122 View Post
    Hi sthh,

This is really cool. Great inspiration for those who are going to marry the 2 arts of fish keeping and gardening!

Where do you get the seeds for the colorful lettuce, my wife love the nai bai - I want to get those seeds too?

They looks ready to be harvested.

I think I am crazy, trying to combine 3 things: fish keeping, planted tank and gardening. I think I will drop a few compost worms in my grow bed and that will add in another hobby, vermi-compost.
    Then that would be 4.

I think the term Vermiaquaponics

can be used, but it is not enough to describe the planted tank.

Any idea anyone?
    I got my naibai seeds from a girl in fengshan who was selling it for 80cents a pack in a makeshift stall. But I know you can also buy it from theseedmaster.com
    They are very easy to grow. The maiko lettuce is from theseedmaster.com
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sthh View Post
    I got my naibai seeds from a girl in fengshan who was selling it for 80cents a pack in a makeshift stall. But I know you can also buy it from theseedmaster.com
    They are very easy to grow. The maiko lettuce is from theseedmaster.com
    do you and the family eat the vegetables?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, we eat all the stuff that we grow, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and the occassional vegetables.
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast