Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Canister filter recommendation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello, so I know that Eheim is the most recommended brand for canister filter. But I don't have the budget to go for an Eheim canister filter nor Sicca or Fluval brands.
    I'm currently pretty interested in the Atman DF-700 for my 2ft tank. Anyone has any experience with it?
    Or anyone can share what other brands of canister filter is good also?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Canister filter recommendation

I think many of us swear by the Eheim series due to the reliability and durability of the equipment. Moreover it's generally lower in wattage, which saves your electricity bill!

I'll still recommend 2nd hand Eheim filters from the Bros selling in the forum. But if you're stil not a fan of 2nd hand equipment, i Guess you can try shiruba too? Sounds like quite a number of the people in this forums use shiruba too. And I think they fetch decent resale value.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You're saying even a 2nd hand Eheim canister filter that has been used for a few years is better than a brand new filter from another brand??
    Hmmmm then I'll consider that... But I'm gonna need 2 sets and it's hard to find 2 of the same model that I need.

I've never heard of shiruba.. Where can I find them?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've used a shiruba for some time before. Decent build quality as well as accessories provided. They use 12/16 lines, so many accessories can be used.

U can find it in Seaview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My nick is lizhien. But i'm not a girl. It's Li Zhi En. =) You can call me Cole too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    You're saying even a 2nd hand Eheim canister filter that has been used for a few years is better than a brand new filter from another brand??
    Hmmmm then I'll consider that... But I'm gonna need 2 sets and it's hard to find 2 of the same model that I need.

I've never heard of shiruba.. Where can I find them?
    I suppose my assessment may not be a fair one since I've never used non-Eheim canisters. But so far I have no issues with Eheim canisters (both the classic and ecco pro lines). And I have purchased 2 2nd hand Eheim canisters from Bros on the forums at reasonable prices and I'm still using them at home knowing that my tanks are runned by Eheim canisters do give me a peace of mind. Haha.

shiruba is quite common in Singapore. You should be able to find them at c328/east ocean and sea view. Happy shopping!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone tried Atman or Dolphin brand?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okay I found a Eheim canister filter on the marketplace.. Probably getting that one for one of the 2 tanks. I read that Eheim canister filters have very low flow rate?
    So a 700l/hr canister should be fine for my 2ft tank right?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

700 l/ph is sufficient for a 2ft tank, better to have more than less... if the flow rate is too much for the livestock and plants, just adjust the outflow tap to reduce flow if necessary.

Eheim also have much higher flow rate canister filter models, just that they generally cost more than equivalent ones from the china/taiwan brands.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Damn the guy sold it to someone else already LOL... UA which model of Eheim would you recommend for a 2ft?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    Damn the guy sold it to someone else already LOL... UA which model of Eheim would you recommend for a 2ft?
    Any of the Eheim canister filter models with flow rate around 500-700+ l/ph will be suitable (go for the higher flow rate ones if you plan to also install add-on equipment like chillers or inline reactors).

Just keep a lookout for them on the forum marketplace and sites/apps like carousell, gumtree etc... good deals do tend to pop up quite frequently.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My ehiem 2217 is rated at 1200L/hr, after it went through the co2 reactor, chiller and I place it on the floor, I think my flow rate is pretty Slow now, by the way, I use it on a 2ft, 100L tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think an Ehiem 2217 will be more than enough for your 2 ft tank. I made a really big mistake of buying 1 Ehiem 2213 for my 3 ft aquarium because the lph was way under the requirements for my 3ft. Eventually, I got another Ehiem 2213 from a friend and that really helped speed things up for my tank. As a rule of thumb, better over estimate than under estimate.
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For a 2 x 1 x 1 ft tank, a 2213 would suffice although I would recommend a 2215. For 2x1.5x1.5 tank, 2215 is a minimum. I used to have a 2217 for a 2x1.5x1.5ft and it would good because now that I upgraded, the 2217 is still usable and in fact more than able to handle it.

Meanwhile, I have used other taiwan brands and can tell you that most of them lose 30 - 40% of the power after a year. So a 2nd hand eheim is confirm better.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Atman or Jebao can be pretty decent. That said, those are China made and QC-ed so you would have to rely on that very matter. Eheim is well loved by hobbyists because also of its reliability and to a certain extent, its versatility in the usage

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Anyone tried the Jebao 104 and the Dophin C2400 canister filter ?
    How are their performance and effectiveness ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by peanut88 View Post
    Anyone tried the Jebao 104 and the Dophin C2400 canister filter ?
    How are their performance and effectiveness ?
    Do any one of you have an idea about the canisters for 55 gallons? Please recommend the best.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Pakistan

For 55 gallons, Fluval 307 might be a good option.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Pakistan

But I don't mean that you should go for that one, you can choose whatever you want. For your further help, here I would like to share a guide you might find it helpful.
    http://www.pickedbyfish.com/best-can...55-gallon-tank