Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does Temp Matter?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wondering if lower temperature is always better for plants.

Here's my observations:
    Just reno-ed my shared office 2 ft tank into a planted tank.
    Added plants (MM, E diversifolia, Echinodorus quadricostatus, moss, ferns) over weekend.
    Within 2-3 days I could see bubbling, very constant stream. The MMs were the first to give off O2.
    Have a heater that keeps temp at 24, if not I think temp will drop to 22.
    Lights are DIY 2 X 36w.
    No CO2
    Atman hang-on filter.
    Only 1 x helicopter, & about 25 shrimps in there at the moment.

The O2 release certainly looks much more than my home tank with has CO2 injection.
    Difference is home tank tends to have higher temp of between 28 - 30 degC.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, what do you think, since you do see difference between the home and office tank ... I always find my plants do better during the colder months

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that was my assumption too.... i always find plants (especially moss, all types of moss) do better in cooler tanks.... that's why i have started a mini project of mine to link both my tanks up with one chiller. Part 1 already completed (link below )

Now awaiting for Part 2, ie. getting a chiller (ordered liao.... pending delivery)...!!!!
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, you need a heater? Haha, I'd keep it at 22 or 23 degrees. That will be really great for the plants. Temperature does matter, as well as a other host of factors all interlinked to make a tank a success.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah have a heater there.
    It is actually a leftover equipment before this tank was converted into a planted tank. cos the previous inhabitats were cichlids & no plants.

Just want to keep a bit warmer when we introduce some tetras, & then will turn off the heater.

Thanks for the advise.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Uncle Tom has actually discussed this. He mentioned that

"Temps seem to only affect one plant really, Lace plants, most other plants can stand up to 35-40C. I know because we find them in nature."

However, I find that most plants at higher temp grows faster, so do......................ALGAE

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really or not - 35 to 40C? I think not for long term, right? Even I will fizzle out at such temperatures.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Uncle Tom... Tom Barr?

I hope it's for short periods only... I agree with vinz, if I were a plant I'll probably pull out my roots and start moving or something. Moving water, wind, blah blah shouldn't raise temperatures in the water to such a high level, shouldn't it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Temperature do have impact on all plants. Temperature will affect the rate of photosynthesis and the rate of respiration among other things.

Plant growth will slow down toward the 2 extremes of temperature. Each plant has different range of temperature tolerance. Most plants will tolerate the range of temperature of our tank.

Photosynthesis will produce the energy while respiration will use up engery. Rate of photosynthesis will increase with temperature. The rate of increase reduces with temperature.

The rate of respiration also increases with tempeture, but the rate of increase increases with temperature.

Therefore, when temperature increases, there will be a point where respiration exceeds photosynthesis, and that is when plants fail. This critical temperature is different from species to species.

BC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    never noe temp can affect plant, but now noe

from what i know ... cooler tank faster growth

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have to agree that cooler tank, the plant grow slightly better but it still depend on the kind of plant that you have

Nice set-ups you got there. Mind if i ask how much light you have in there? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wf7850
    that was my assumption too.... i always find plants (especially moss, all types of moss) do better in cooler tanks.... that's why i have started a mini project of mine to link both my tanks up with one chiller. Part 1 already completed (link below )

Now awaiting for Part 2, ie. getting a chiller (ordered liao.... pending delivery)...!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    plus right amount light intensity and CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by djviper
    from what i know ... cooler tank faster growth

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not too sure about the CO2 presence.
    I guess having the right amount of CO2 does not necessarily mean having a CO2 supply (from tank).

As my office tank does not have any CO2 injection, yet bubbling much more than home tank with CO2 injection.

Oh yeah squee, FYI took out the heater already. Cos the day I wasn't in office, the tank's co-owner discovered the heater was malfunctioning & the water started get real warmer. Luckily, he managed to turn it off before the tank became a steamboat of sorts.

Feedback Score
    could be that the lighting intensity in your office tank is more effective for the plants since its a shallower tank? (here i am assuming the two footer at work is not as deep as your three footer at home?)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurial
    Nice set-ups you got there. Mind if i ask how much light you have in there?
    Thanks for the compliments.

I am using 4 x 55W PL for the new tank while the riccia tank was running on 6 x 55W previously. However, the riccia tank had been tore down half year ago, now also on 4 x 55W for mosses only.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If got no chiller and fan is not cooling the tank enough.... can we dump ice cubes into the tank? Will the sudden change in temp shock the fishes and shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey,

i tried the ice cube method, and you need like one ice cream tub of ice to keep the temperature down to 24-25 degrees and it lasts about 4-6 hours before slowly increasing again.

As for livestock, i would say that they did not die the other time probably because they can swim away from the coldest part of the cold draft ( the closer they are to the ice cube the colder it gets before being distributed evenly)

using a fan (the big profantec ) also gives the same temp range.

as for whether it matters, it has been raised that in cooler months mosses tend to bloom and the reverse also happens.

regards

jiesheng