Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question Dosage for increasing KH

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Read thru past threads but all seem to point to the FAQ. However numerous search of the FAQ didn't turn up any results (all no match) .... so bopian gotta post and ask for confirmation before actually doing it.....

The water straight from my tap was measured at 2 dKH.
    I added 2.5ml of baking soda to 10 Litres of the tap water.
    The mixed water was tested to measure 6 dKH.

Since 2.5ml raised 10 Litres by 4 dKH, so is it correct to compute that 2.5ml will raise 100 Litres by 0.4 dKH?
    and 2.5ml will raise 200 Litres by 0.2 dKH... so forth and so on?

Say I need to raise the KH of my 4ft by 1 dKH, I will have to add 12.5ml, right?

Thanks in advance...!!!!
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's holidays for me now; I don't want to burden my brain with more maths

Anyway, I got this piece of advice off a rather reliable article here.

One teaspoon of baking soda added to 50 liters of water can raise the kH of the water by approx 4 (degrees)dH without a major affect on pH.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    One teaspoon of baking soda added to 50 liters of water can raise the kH of the water by approx 4 (degrees)dH
    Bro, thanks for the link... appreciate it.....

the question now is one teaspoon is how many ml ...??
    according to the website, if his one teaspoon is equivalent to my 2.5ml, then wouldn't it mean tt adding 2.5ml to 10L and 50L will yield the same result, ie. raising the KH by 4 degree? so meaning if i add 2.5ml of baking soda to tanks of any volumn, the result will be similar?
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wf7850
    Bro, thanks for the link... appreciate it.....

the question now is one teaspoon is how many ml ...??
    according to the website, if his one teaspoon is equivalent to my 2.5ml, then wouldn't it mean tt adding 2.5ml to 10L and 50L will yield the same result, ie. raising the KH by 4 degree? so meaning if i add 2.5ml of baking soda to tanks of any volumn, the result will be similar?
    I dun understand. Testing KH is one of the easiest you can conduct. Whats the problem adding a spoon everyday and test few hours later?
    Atleast, thats what I did.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its not the trouble of testing, but sometimes, its good to know what you adding and how much you adding in

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erh, 1 teaspoon is 5ml. But no idea if that means 1ml of liquid, or dry powder. I assume powder.

Do it carefully.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    its not the trouble of testing, but sometimes, its good to know what you adding and how much you adding in
    You seriously should reconsider picking up any live stock hobby if you can't even do the calculation after you had added them .
    And to think this message come from someone who don't even test his PH
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Do it carefully.
    thanks... will do....
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo
    adding a spoon everyday and test few hours later? Atleast, thats what I did
    as mentioned by Bro |squee| and Mod Simon, it's not the trouble, it's the fear of throwing everything off balance cos once u add it in, removing it will be a hassle, less to say the harm it will have on the fishes/shrimps....

since u mentioned u have been doing it, care to share what was the result? thanks...!!!!!
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wf7850
    thanks... will do....
    as mentioned by Bro |squee| and Mod Simon, it's not the trouble, it's the fear of throwing everything off balance cos once u add it in, removing it will be a hassle, less to say the harm it will have on the fishes/shrimps....

since u mentioned u have been doing it, care to share what was the result? thanks...!!!!!
    I need about 2 tea spoon to raise my KH by 1 in my 4x2x2. I got my baking soda from Phoon Huat years ago. So I normally will estimate the % of water changed (though I seldom change water) and add accordingly, eg 20% 2 tea spoon.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I need about 2 tea spoon to raise my KH by 1 in my 4x2x2
    since mine is only 4x1.5x1.5, 2 teaspoon may raise the KH by slightly more than 1. so it shld be safe to try with 1 teaspoon first. Thanks alot...!!!!!!

comparing it with my earlier testing, the result also quite near.... cos if 1 teaspoon is 5ml, my earlier calculation of 12.5ml = 2.25 teaspoon will raise 1dKH in 200Ltrs of water.... rite?
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You seriously should reconsider picking up any live stock hobby if you can't even do the calculation after you had added them .
    And to think this message come from someone who don't even test his PH
    err... whats your point? you add then test the water, wouldn't it be worse then calculating the exact amount to add? (I don't know what you talking about billy)

Like wise, I don't see whats the point of having a pH pen and keeping fishes/plants have in common? why, hobbyist with pH pen do better than those without? Then, I must be really a bad hobbyist, since I do not use any test kits/pen for my tanks.. but whose complaining

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    err... whats your point? you add then test the water, wouldn't it be worse then calculating the exact amount to add? (I don't know what you talking about billy)

Like wise, I don't see whats the point of having a pH pen and keeping fishes/plants have in common? why, hobbyist with pH pen do better than those without? Then, I must be really a bad hobbyist, since I do not use any test kits/pen for my tanks.. but whose complaining
    Oh, picking up a fight?
    then why bother to ask about all the newbie tank's stat since it is not related
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, picking up a fight?
    then why bother to ask about all the newbie tank's stat since it is not related
    there, there what's this thing about fighting, who's fighting? please educate me

I'm preaching about adding exact amount into a tank, isn't and NOT the same as you suggestion to test the water perimeter after you have dosed the tank.

Prevention is better then trying to remedy the problem after it has arise.

if you got any problems with me, please PM me directly. Need not do any personal attack

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there, there what's this thing about fighting, who's fighting? please educate me

I'm preaching about adding exact amount into a tank, isn't and NOT the same as you suggestion to test the water perimeter after you have dosed the tank.

Prevention is better then trying to remedy the problem after it has arise.

if you got any problems with me, please PM me directly. Need not do any personal attack
    HAHA... I trying to create some scene to attract for interactions mah , see so many ppl viewing no one bother to post... (or all expert liao waiting to advise ppl nia?)

Going by your comment Prevention is better then trying to remedy the problem after it has arise. , Anyone adding anything at all should send a sample to the lab for detail test. You dunno what is going in with those intended

PS: Why you at home dun want to log on MSN?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it depends what kind of interaction you trying to attracted. lets not talk about the trend of members in AQ nor their participation in the threads.

send samples for lab testing? to arrive to the conclusion that for every levelled spoon to 100litres gives 1dkH?

nvm.....

ps.can't get into MSN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it depends what kind of interaction you trying to attracted. lets not talk about the trend of members in AQ nor their participation in the threads.

send samples for lab testing? to arrive to the conclusion that for every levelled spoon to 100litres gives 1dkH?

nvm.....

ps.can't get into MSN

blah blah blah.........

did u try web MSN then? nvm.... chat with ya tomorrow or later, gotta koon liao...
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Test Results

Hey guys, please do not quarrel becos of this.... i will feel bad thinking it was all becos of my query.....

hehe... anyway... the result of the test I conducted this morning.....

0955hrs - Tested tank water, 1st drop of Sera KH solution the water turned light yellow, so dKH less than 1.

1000hrs - Mixed 5ml of baking soda and pour the solution into the tank (220Ltrs).

1100hrs - Tested tank water again. 1st drop of Sera KH, the water didn't turn blue, but jus a tint of yellow (lighter than the 1st test at 0955hrs). So KH may have raise slightly but still can consider below 1 dKH.

1105hrs - Mixed another 5ml of baking soda and pour the solution into the tank.

1300hrs - Tested tank water, 1st drop of Sera KH..... YEAH.....!!!!!! the water in the vial turned BLUE......!!!!!! second drop turn straight to yellow. so the tank water now is 2 dKH.

Conclusion: 5ml of baking soda can indeed raise the KH of a 4ft tank by 1 degree. I will need to confirm this again by adding another 5ml of baking soda and see whether it will rise to 3 dKH. but this will have to wait till tomorrow as I think it would not do the critters any good by raising it by 3 degree within half a day.

Once again, thanks for all the advice and guidance.
    Will update again tomorrow.......!!!!!
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking Final Test Results and Findings

Did the third test to confirm everything yesterday morning (but was too busy to post the results till now.... )

1000hrs - Tested tank water, 2 drops of Sera KH solution to turn water from blue to light yellow, so tank water is 2 dKH.

1005hrs - Mixed 5ml of baking soda and pour the solution into the tank (220Ltrs)

1900hrs - Tested tank water, 1st drop water turned BLUE, 2nd drop water turn light green, 3rd drop turned Yellow.....

Yippee... it's confirmed then. 5ml of Baking soda will lift the KH of a 4ft tank (220Ltrs) by 1 dKH. And all shrimps didn't show any sign of discomfort during the testing these 2 days.

Great thanks to all for the advice. Hope this thread can prove itself useful to other newbies....

Cheers.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project