Country
    Singapore

Breeding colored shrimp/rainbow shrimp/malayan shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I cannot find any help that would help me out in breeding this species so i started this thread.

My research found so far, other than the normal standard water perimeters, tempt and feeding etc, these species dont produce shrimplets. Also, the female bares more eggs than regular shrimps as they produce larvae.

The difference between these species named here to bamboos or any other larvae staged shrimp is they do not require blackish water.

Long story short, i had many many batches of larvae but none made it to juvenile. One of the research i found was to leave the tanks as it is and they will survive. I tried but it don work.

The other research i found was they may be hiding in the filter since the larvae is too small to be prevented from getting sucked into the inlet by mesh or sponge (i had sponge to prevent my sakura shrimplets from getting sucked). But after 2 months of no maintenance of filter, i found no shrimps inside the filter (i usually empty the filter to wash the media and clean it once a month during regular weekly wc).

Thirdly, i have floating plant. One research i found was the larvae may hang itself to the floating plants for 2 weeks and the larvae would be shrimplets by then. Well it doesn't work out too.

Any guru here managed to breed them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Breeding colored shrimp/rainbow shrimp/malayan shrimp

I've had malayan shrimps successfully breed over a few generations in my tanks before (when i used to keep them). The tanks where i ran sponge filters had the most surviving shrimplets, while those with hang-on or canister filters had very few or no surviving shrimplets. Like what you observed, shrimp intake guards can't prevent the larvae from getting sucked into those filters, and they will not survive the ordeal due to how fragile they are at that planktonic larvae stage.

That being said, it could still be possible for a good percentage of the larvae to survive if the tank is very large and the flow is relatively slow, so that there are deadspots where the larvae can hang around for a few days until they convert to shrimplets.

I guess if you want maximum larvae survival rate and development/conversion to shrimplet form, its best to just breed them in a tank that uses sponge filters.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Breeding colored shrimp/rainbow shrimp/malayan shrimp

I see.. I think i can forget about breeding. My tank has near to 0 dead spot. Different water level circulates the flow differently due to the evaporation rate. Only when the water level drop pass the suitable margin then there will be dead spot and algae growth could be seen.

My tank is small and i dont own a sponge filter probably i just keep the shrimps till they passed on. Thanks UA! Helpful as always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk